Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for groceries with some western foods in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, DL
Suggestions for groceries with some western foods in Shanghai

I am looking to do grocery shopping during our trip to Shanghai and was directed to Fields-China.

I am told this store is similar to Whole Foods and the website does show food my family eats. There is also gluten free--which is much desired.

Anyone have any experience with this store, or have suggestions were else to shop?

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are western chain convenience stores everywhere, such as Lawson's. They work fine for basics like water, snack foods, etc. Fruit can be found at street venders and small stall type shops. In Pudong there's a big shopping mall that I think is called Fashion Mall. It's near some major hotels and well known. It has a bunch of places that sell prepared food, including foreign fast food but IIRC there's a big grocery store down in the basement as well as a large western drugstore. Asian department stores tend to have food halls in their basements with counters selling a large variety of local and imported food. For example, there's one of these across the street from Le Royal Meridian Hotel, on the corner of People's Park. Finally, some top hotels have gift stores, bakeries, etc. that sell fancy take-home food that has been prepared in the hotel restaurants.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
FIELDS is overpriced.

I like the Mahota, which is also overpriced, but is built on a farm-to-store concept.

But for the most part, I'm perfectly happy to buy western food from Carrefour or Walmart... most of the big ones sell a decent selection of western staples. For fresh fruits/veggies/meat, I just shop the local markets like anyone else.

Can't speak to gluten free.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:54 am

I also can't speak for "gluten free", but Gl Japan plaza is my go to grocery store.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:34 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
http://www.epermarket.com/product/SearchList.aspx
search: gluten free
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try City Shop
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Carrefour and Walmart would be the biggest selection of regular food.

I felt that City Shop was expensive but they did have a different selection of items. Mahota's IS expensive.

The question we always had was how much pesticides were on the fresh vegetables. When they said "organic" - how much organic waste did they use. We ended up going to the big supermarkets because we felt we couldn't trust the organic was truly organic so why pay so much more.

Once you get here, you will quickly notice what store carries what brands and you can adjust accordingly.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful information.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I too second the Walmart and Carrefour as suggestions - the latter being the better one.

OP are you looking for western foods or more specifically organic type foods found at Whole foods?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I too second the Walmart and Carrefour as suggestions - the latter being the better one.

OP are you looking for western foods or more specifically organic type foods found at Whole foods?
My problem with those enormous stores is that going to them can suck up half of a weekend day (though IKEA is even more time consuming). My Japan plaza place isn't that much more expensive and never has any lines (lots of checkout staff). City super is also fast (but there isn't one near me).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
- OP are you looking for western foods or more specifically organic type foods found at Whole foods?
I am interested in stores with western foods that also carries some gluten free products. Organic is less of an concern.

Again, I really appreciate all the good advice I have gotten. Thank you
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Ole" stores scattered around town attached to the nicer shopping malls should have what you're looking for with both gluten free selection and getting to avoid the masses at Carrefour and Wal Mart type places. They are well laid out and usually better priced than city shop or city super.

Either way you're going to be paying more than where you're from (unless you live in Switzerland now).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:09 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
"Ole" stores scattered around town attached to the nicer shopping malls should have what you're looking for with both gluten free selection and getting to avoid the masses at Carrefour and Wal Mart type places. They are well laid out and usually better priced than city shop or city super.

Either way you're going to be paying more than where you're from (unless you live in Switzerland now).
I've yet to see an ole in Shanghai, but that was my go to store in Nanning, and it was crazy expensive (e.g. 118 for a pint of ice cream). I guess they probably don't try to pull off the same in tier one cities because we have lots of options.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Generally, food shops targeting Japanese and Korean customers tend to have the best fish/seafood and meat produce and are rather good value for money. Normally, many "Western" foods are also available through them.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by moondog
I've yet to see an ole in Shanghai, but that was my go to store in Nanning, and it was crazy expensive (e.g. 118 for a pint of ice cream). I guess they probably don't try to pull off the same in tier one cities because we have lots of options.
There's an Ole in the basement of Jingan Kerry Center.

Price wise I've done some comparisons with City Super and Ole comes out as always being more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.