Beijing arport (PEK) allows international transit without immigration checks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Beijing arport (PEK) allows international transit without immigration checks

http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2...1114933884.htm

首都机场将实施24小时过境免办边检手续

No more border control when transiting PEK 24-hour. The report says it starts 15APR2015.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

But only if 中途不离开机场口岸限定区, that is, only if you're not leaving what I'll simply translate as the "airport restricted area." There's a remark further on about the work that's recently been done to close off the airport restricted area in preparation for this new procedure, so it's clear it's a reference to an area at the airport, not to Beijing as a whole.

It's not definite from the report, but I suspect that if you're transiting out of China via an intervening domestic flight, you'll still have to go through immigration, as you will if you want to head into Beijing for a brief visit.

But again, we'll have to wait for reports to discover exactly what is and what is not within the restricted area.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Agree. I imagine this just puts PEK on par with other major airports in Asia, like, NRT, ICN, TPE, HKG, in terms of international to international transit. One would pass transit security, but not immigration, if you do not leave air-side of the airport.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by geclub1
http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2...1114933884.htm

首都机场将实施24小时过境免办边检手续

No more border control when transiting PEK 24-hour. The report says it starts 15APR2015.
Also not reported is whether document requirements will be relaxed, as in whether TIMATIC wording will be changed. May not matter much to foreigners but for HK/MO/TW residents it's different.

Don't know if fugitive Wu'erkaixi will attempt another self-surrender.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:21 pm

The report also says the new procedure will apply to all international passengers, both foreign and Chinese. Thus, a Chinese passenger flying, say, from Tokyo to Hong Kong with a transit in Beijing will not pass through immigration in Beijing.

I don't see the requirements being changed, though. This is a change in procedure only. Essentially the airlines alone man the gates.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:25 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
"航班路径范围可包括前往第三国、地区或返回来自国的中转航线." This is big! It means passengers could do immediate turn around to home country, which isn't allowed in current TWOV rules that mandates passenger must route to third country. Of course, I wouldn't want to be the first lab rat to test it out.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
"航班路径范围可包括前往第三国、地区或返回来自国的中转航线." This is big! It means passengers could do immediate turn around to home country, which isn't allowed in current TWOV rules that mandates passenger must route to third country. Of course, I wouldn't want to be the first lab rat to test it out.
Big? Why would one do this? Just to see the airport?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JPDM
Big? Why would one do this? Just to see the airport?
mileage runs! the recent PEk mistake fare on AA... this would allow an immediate turn-around.

but I think this topic probably deserves a new thread?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:29 pm

According to this announcement, the immigration and airline computer systems have been linked, so you'll be recorded for immigration purposes at the airline transit desk, rather than waiting in line at immigration.

边检系统将与航空公司的系统互通,在首都机场转机去往他国的外国乘客在航空公司的柜台就可以一次性将所有手 续全部办好。手续以扫码形式办理,只需拿着登机牌就可以办理。

http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2015-02/03/content_2813654.htm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have read the announcement in the original published language.

IMHO: PEK is being used as a trial airport so Air China and Hainan Air will be able to ferry passenger from North America and Europe to HK/MO/TW and rest of SE Asia either on their own as well as their (*A) partners. If it works then PVG for MU and CAN for CZ are next for Skyteam.

This matches up with DL's CEO announcing they are pushing to have PVG as an Asian hub.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
mileage runs! the recent PEk mistake fare on AA... this would allow an immediate turn-around.

but I think this topic probably deserves a new thread?
I seriously doubt that they will rewrite visa fee transit rules in order to permit returns to the origin country for pax that don't leave their respective terminals at pek.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The posts above were extracted from the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...thread-20.html to form a dedicated topic relating to the changes to international transfers at PEK.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: various
My reaction is meh. Except for allowing a subgroup of international connecting passengers to bypass one queue and save a few minutes, I don't see where this is any earthshaking development.

I do not subscribe to @m.y's interpretation above, that the byproduct of this policy would allow mileage runs--instead of the intended true transits to third countries. As stated above, the Immigration and airline computers are linked (that's not new but may be more complete integration now). Without a rewrite of the TWOV regulations, which I agree is unlikely, all the airline has to do to the prospective mileage runner without an onward ticket is to deny boarding at the origin, just like they do now. Even if a round-trip mileage runner who isn't transiting per the rules manages to physically accomplish the task, the record is there in the database---all the Chinese have to do is fine the airline after the fact, and possibly retaliate in other ways. No airline with any sense is going to risk that.

I also think that this is going to be limited to those staying at the airport. An international T3 to T3 connection is easy: they already have the physical setup, they just need to remove (or not staff), that separate Immigration transit desk that was the gatekeeper to get back to security and airside. T2 to T2 is likewise easy: there has always been a doorway before T2 Immigration area, for "international transit" passengers which allowed them to go back down to departure level airside. IIRC in the early days of T2 (maybe early 2000's) I saw that door actually being used for its intended purpose, though it was sporadic since there weren't that many true transit routes passing through PEK at that time. And then it was taken out of service as an option, forcing everyone through the T2 Immigration area even if transiting. What's less clear is how a T3-T2 or vice versa transit will be handled. Right now it means a transit passenger has to use the TWOV queue, but I supposed it would be easy enough devise a collection gate that then buses the interterminal transit passengers on ramp side of the terminal, going secure airside to secure airside with a security checkpoint somewhere in there.

Unless better overnight accommodation/lounge arrangements are put in place on the secure airside for those who have layovers in the 6-24 hour range, this will be a miserable prospect to be trapped within these terminals without much in the way of services or decent food. However, the new policy will improve the situation for fast-transitees with connections of 4 hours or less.

Last edited by jiejie; Apr 11, 2015 at 10:09 am
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Once this is running, I expect MTC for International to international should come down from the current 2 hours substantially, at the minimum.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
The posts above were extracted from the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...thread-20.html to form a dedicated topic relating to the changes to international transfers at PEK.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
With all due respect, you jumped the gun in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.