Beijing arport (PEK) allows international transit without immigration checks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing arport (PEK) allows international transit without immigration checks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog
With all due respect, you jumped the gun in this case.
I think it's right to have a separate thread, but perhaps the words 'potentially allow' [transit without immigration] would have been clearer.

The other thread is TWOV, better to not confuse the issues.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: various
I agree with LHR, best to keep separate for now. I don't like mixing the potentials, upcomings, speculations, etc. into the factual thread--it just gets too confusing for readers. If it's confirmed through field observation/information that the new policy is in force, then it really doesn't change the underlying TWOV thread, all it means is an adjustment to any procedural explanations in the Wiki or via active postings on that thread.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: Many
I have a T3/T3 2-hour connection with Air China next week. Am I right to understand I will not have to go through immigration then?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by bodory
I have a T3/T3 2-hour connection with Air China next week. Am I right to understand I will not have to go through immigration then?
That is what it written.

There has not been any report of actual experience yet.

It is China, there might/will be differences in the way the rule is translated into English, the way the rules are implemented and the understanding of the translated rules by officers and pax.

Last edited by tentseller; Apr 15, 2015 at 5:39 am
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Many
Well, be sure I will report my experience there.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bodory
Well, be sure I will report my experience there.
We thank you in advance!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
We thank you in advance!
+1 (though with 2 hours on a CA ticket, he/she should be fine in any event).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I will report on T3 CA-CA IAH-PEK-HKG coming Sunday.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:40 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
No man's land.

The most famous transit-zone dweller was Iranian refugee Mehran Karimi Nasseri, who stayed in Terminal 1 of Charles de Gaulle Airport for 17 years, but he moved freely within the terminal.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I just posted in the TWOV thread but if this is true this makes me happy as I have a 4.5 hr transit in May DFW-PEK-HKG and I'd like to avoid the immigration desk if possible!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by jiejie
My reaction is meh. Except for allowing a subgroup of international connecting passengers to bypass one queue and save a few minutes, I don't see where this is any earthshaking development.

I do not subscribe to @m.y's interpretation above, that the byproduct of this policy would allow mileage runs--instead of the intended true transits to third countries. As stated above, the Immigration and airline computers are linked (that's not new but may be more complete integration now). Without a rewrite of the TWOV regulations, which I agree is unlikely, all the airline has to do to the prospective mileage runner without an onward ticket is to deny boarding at the origin, just like they do now. Even if a round-trip mileage runner who isn't transiting per the rules manages to physically accomplish the task, the record is there in the database---all the Chinese have to do is fine the airline after the fact, and possibly retaliate in other ways. No airline with any sense is going to risk that.

I also think that this is going to be limited to those staying at the airport. An international T3 to T3 connection is easy: they already have the physical setup, they just need to remove (or not staff), that separate Immigration transit desk that was the gatekeeper to get back to security and airside. T2 to T2 is likewise easy: there has always been a doorway before T2 Immigration area, for "international transit" passengers which allowed them to go back down to departure level airside. IIRC in the early days of T2 (maybe early 2000's) I saw that door actually being used for its intended purpose, though it was sporadic since there weren't that many true transit routes passing through PEK at that time. And then it was taken out of service as an option, forcing everyone through the T2 Immigration area even if transiting. What's less clear is how a T3-T2 or vice versa transit will be handled. Right now it means a transit passenger has to use the TWOV queue, but I supposed it would be easy enough devise a collection gate that then buses the interterminal transit passengers on ramp side of the terminal, going secure airside to secure airside with a security checkpoint somewhere in there.

Unless better overnight accommodation/lounge arrangements are put in place on the secure airside for those who have layovers in the 6-24 hour range, this will be a miserable prospect to be trapped within these terminals without much in the way of services or decent food. However, the new policy will improve the situation for fast-transitees with connections of 4 hours or less.
Hi,

According to the British FCO, the 72 hour transit arrangement limits you to the municipality of the airport. It's not as good as proper VOA, but I imagine this can be very useful for meetings (and in my case, possibly a quick catch up with friends living in China). The awkwardness gap between this, and a proper visa, is interesting .
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
Hi,

According to the British FCO, the 72 hour transit arrangement limits you to the municipality of the airport. It's not as good as proper VOA, but I imagine this can be very useful for meetings (and in my case, possibly a quick catch up with friends living in China). The awkwardness gap between this, and a proper visa, is interesting .
We are not talking about the 72-hour TWOV on this thread--there is already a long involved sticky thread about that, and you aren't breaking any new ground on this. What this thread is about is a procedural issue at PEK that applies to people who aren't even doing TWOV.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by jiejie
We are not talking about the 72-hour TWOV on this thread--there is already a long involved sticky thread about that, and you aren't breaking any new ground on this. What this thread is about is a procedural issue at PEK that applies to people who aren't even doing TWOV.
Apologies - and thanks for the pointer to the sticky.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I will report on T3 CA-CA IAH-PEK-HKG coming Sunday.
Kwan Sir: Can you also share check baggage transit experience as well? CA is promoting YYZ - PEK - HKG like crazy with the "NEW No need to enter China" transit in Toronto.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Kwan Sir: Can you also share check baggage transit experience as well? CA is promoting YYZ - PEK - HKG like crazy with the "NEW No need to enter China" transit in Toronto.
??? If one had a relatively fast transit (not a stopover) at PEK, all on one ticket and no terminal change required, bags on this routing would have been tagged through and autotransferred to the final destination, no need to pick up and deal with in PEK even if your personage had to go through an Immigration situation. Been this way for a number of years. (Shanghai is a different story on baggage though.) So this CA promotion is nothing truly new. The only thing that might be different is that that the old procedure where one proceeded to the "International Transfer/Transit" (not the TWOV) desk to have passport/boarding pass inspected then be sent down the hall to security checkpoint and back airside.....might now be streamlined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.