Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Beijing - Hilton or Marriott hotel lounge with the most food?

Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Which Beijing hotels (preferably Hilton or Marriott as I have status with them) offer the largest spreads of hot food in the evening in their executive lounges?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Marriott: only stayed at the JW, and I think it was better than either of the two Hilton options that I've stayed at.

Hilton, both Wangfujing and the Conrad had decent lounges, one could make a meagre meal out of the offerings.

tb
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks. To be clear, you mean the JW across from a Ritz-Carlton, and not JW Central, right?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by davie355
Which Beijing hotels (preferably Hilton or Marriott as I have status with them) offer the largest spreads of hot food in the evening in their executive lounges?
I've been to all of the Marriott lounges apart from the jw or ren downtown. Marriott ne is my favorite, but you honestly shouldn't count on any of them as a means to replace dinner. (I have not visited any Hilton lounges in Beijing during the past 5 years.)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I stayed at the Hilton by the airport a couple years ago (I flew in to Beijing on Sat morning from another town and had an early morning flight back home on Sunday) and the lounge food was plenty for me for dinner. Wouldn't want the same thing all week but for one night - no problem.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:43 pm

Thanks. To be clear, you mean the JW across from a Ritz-Carlton, and not JW Central, right?
Yes.

Although I would say that unless your schedule is exceptionally tight, or you've been to BJ many times, eating out is likely to be far more rewarding.

tb
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at the Renaissance Beijing Wangfujing and the lounge had a great view of the Forbidden City. I was in the lounge late and there were cookies and snacks as well as beverages. The breakfast in the am was very good in my opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Just been in the Hilton lounge and the food is pretty poor. Luke warm inedible pasta dish. Spring rolls with unidentifiable filling. Soup was good.

There was some bread rolls and very small bits of cheese (off cuts from main restaurant I presume). Some meatroll and a random bag of air China sandwiches.

Drink selection was acceptable. Service was excellent and nice atmosphere.

Pretty grim day for food after a disappointing lunch at Capital M.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to trueblu for his recommendation of the JW Marriott. I'm in the lounge for "happy hour" and it's more than enough for dinner. Here's what's on offer:

Steamed buns
Lo mein
Stir-fried pork with bell peppers
Steamed cabbage
Seared fish
Sushi rolls and finger foods
Western salad bar (e.g. lettuce, cherry tomatoes)
Breads, cheese, cold cuts
Beer, wine, and liquor
Dessert cakes
Fresh grapefruit, watermelon, pineapple, and dragonfruit
Coffee and tea

Unfortunately no white rice, but I really can't complain. They even have regular sized dinner plates so unlike at Delta Sky Clubs you can stuff yourself without excessive trips to the buffet.

Edit: I should add that service throughout the hotel is, in Chinese tradition, superb. I was proactively upgraded to a corner suite with 2 bathrooms. Breakfast, which I'll have in the morning, can be taken in either the lounge or the lobby. The lobby is said to have a wider selection (indeed my room key packet indicates the lounge serves only western breakfast fare)

Last edited by davie355; May 14, 2015 at 5:31 am
Old May 16, 2015, 8:57 am

Many thanks to trueblu for his recommendation of the JW Marriott. I'm in the lounge for "happy hour" and it's more than enough for dinner. Here's what's on offer:

Steamed buns
Lo mein
Stir-fried pork with bell peppers
Steamed cabbage
Seared fish
Sushi rolls and finger foods
Western salad bar (e.g. lettuce, cherry tomatoes)
Breads, cheese, cold cuts
Beer, wine, and liquor
Dessert cakes
Fresh grapefruit, watermelon, pineapple, and dragonfruit
Coffee and tea

Unfortunately no white rice, but I really can't complain. They even have regular sized dinner plates so unlike at Delta Sky Clubs you can stuff yourself without excessive trips to the buffet.

Edit: I should add that service throughout the hotel is, in Chinese tradition, superb. I was proactively upgraded to a corner suite with 2 bathrooms. Breakfast, which I'll have in the morning, can be taken in either the lounge or the lobby. The lobby is said to have a wider selection (indeed my room key packet indicates the lounge serves only western breakfast fare)
Glad that you enjoyed your meal...but I promise 100% that you can have much, much better food for not much money by venturing out of the hotel. You can also have very good food, for a lot of money, at the hotel in the restaurants.

I'm not knocking lounge food per se, and we have had several meals in lounges, in Beijing and elsewhere when travelling. But sometimes, especially when in a city with great food (BJ is potentially great, can also be potentially disastrous, I grant you), it seems such a shame to limit oneself to the lounge. Of course, this may be your one trip to the lounge out of 20 meals in Beijing this last week, in which case I apologise!

Enjoy!

tb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.