Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How safe are Chinese domestic airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

We're saving up for a trip around China next summer and we're planning on hopping around cities with Chinese domestic airlines since they're usually pretty cheap and we don't feel like sitting on a train for ten/twenty hours to get between different cities.

I was wondering how safe Chinese domestic airlines like Spring/Sichuan/Shanghai airlines are? I understand that they usually have low seat pitch but I'm more concerned about safety.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TorontoBoi2011
We're saving up for a trip around China next summer and we're planning on hopping around cities with Chinese domestic airlines since they're usually pretty cheap and we don't feel like sitting on a train for ten/twenty hours to get between different cities.

I was wondering how safe Chinese domestic airlines like Spring/Sichuan/Shanghai airlines are? I understand that they usually have low seat pitch but I'm more concerned about safety.
Very safe. Their accident record (or lack thereof) speaks for itself.

You can google each airline individually and check the wikipedia entry - that will list all the incidents and accidents.

For example Spring Airlines commenced operations in 2005 and has had a single noted accident... a tail-strike. No injuries.

Shanghai Airlines? A perfect safety record.

It is worth shopping around on ctrip for pricing. Sometimes the major scheduled airlines can be very competitive (or even less expensive) than a flight on someone like Spring. Spring is also not necessarily known for its on time performance, and if there are IRROPS, you might be better with one of the majors depending on your schedule.

You might also find some bargain First class fares, particularly where two majors fly the same route. For example you can fly for ~$100 Shanghai to Beijing in coach, or ~$200 in F
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by TorontoBoi2011

Safe- about as good as you can get. CAAC has seen to this. On time, particularly these airlines, is a different matter.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:48 pm

I would not sit on a train for 20 hours either but while Chinese airlines have an excellent safety record, they on-time performance is the worst in the world. For anything like a 5-6 hour train ride, you could theoretically fly in two hours but total travel time will be the same as the train. At least on the train you have more space.
Funny article here: http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...shanghai-again
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer the high speed trains whenever possible in China. Certainly between shanghai and Beijing it's no question for me that I'll take the train ever time.

That being said, Chinese airlines are very safe. No need to worry on that account. I'm about to get on a CTU-PVG flight right now as a matter of fact!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

-if train journey <6 hours AND summer, take train
-if train journey <5 hours, take train
-if these conditions are not met, take plane, but factor a two (summer) or one (winter) hour delay into your plans
*minimize trips of this nature (e.g. sha-hkg is so miserable that you should plan on doing it one way only)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Chinese domestic airlines are safe, esp the big three: MU, CZ, CA.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum-to-be, Hyatt Platinum
Looking for cheap fare from Beijing to Osaka...any low-cost airlines that fly that route?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spartan301
Looking for cheap fare from Beijing to Osaka...any low-cost airlines that fly that route?
Thanks for any advice!
No LCCs doing that route, but if you can make it to Shanghai, try Spring Airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
No LCCs doing that route, but if you can make it to Shanghai, try Spring Airlines.
Looking to go to Zhangjiajie from Shanghai next summer. Shanghai Airlines seems to be the only non stop option. Should I have any qualms about this? I don't usually like to fly with the B737. But 11 hrs on a train seems too much...

There are only two flights daily and they are evening flights. Is it better with the early one to avoid delays further down the chain (I gathered the planes fly back and forth)?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SAllen
Looking to go to Zhangjiajie from Shanghai next summer. Shanghai Airlines seems to be the only non stop option. Should I have any qualms about this? I don't usually like to fly with the B737. But 11 hrs on a train seems too much...

There are only two flights daily and they are evening flights. Is it better with the early one to avoid delays further down the chain (I gathered the planes fly back and forth)?
You are way too early. Flight are released bout 90 days prior so you can't even see what the flights will be now. Usually there are more in the summer.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Originally Posted by JPDM
You are way too early. Flight are released bout 90 days prior so you can't even see what the flights will be now. Usually there are more in the summer.
Oh? But China Eastern is already selling them now , as Shanghai Airlines. very expensively too.. ¥1180. Good flight?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oh? But China Eastern is already selling them now , as Shanghai Airlines. very expensively too.. ¥1180. Good flight?
Wait until ~45 days in. You can also check current fares (i.e. 0-45 days from now) in order to get a rough idea of prices.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 1, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Are you questioning the safety of the Boeing 737 or Shanghai Airlines (a division of China Eastern). The Boeing 737 is perhaps the safest plane ever built and Shanghai Airlines has a better safety record than almost any airline in the world.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Chinese airlines are safe; not sure about its passengers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.