Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

PEK to intown hotel: transfer options

PEK to intown hotel: transfer options

Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
On the way over, you can practice how to say
嘉里中心 and 酒店
If you get this remotely close to correct, you won't need to show the driver any of your print outs.
I am normally suspicious of people who make this sort of suggestion, as I am used to pranksters who tell me how to say "Kick me very hard" while claiming that I would be saying "Where is the nearest toilet?" FlyerTalkers, though, are more credible than most of my friends.

However, how can I practice saying this? I don't know how, and I don't see a link to an audio recording. My translation software says the first part means "Jiali core" and the second part means "hotel," so I believe they would be useful words to say, but how do they sound?

(At the BOS Admiral's Club awaiting our flight to ORD. We're first and second on the upgrade list, but nothing confirmed yet ...)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem
I am normally suspicious of people who make this sort of suggestion, as I am used to pranksters who tell me how to say "Kick me very hard" while claiming that I would be saying "Where is the nearest toilet?" FlyerTalkers, though, are more credible than most of my friends.

However, how can I practice saying this? I don't know how, and I don't see a link to an audio recording. My translation software says the first part means "Jiali core" and the second part means "hotel," so I believe they would be useful words to say, but how do they sound?

(At the BOS Admiral's Club awaiting our flight to ORD. We're first and second on the upgrade list, but nothing confirmed yet ...)
"Jiali" puts you on the right track, but "core" is obviously English.

Why not just use Google Translate (the Chinese pane should spell everything out for you, including audio)?

Anyway, jiali zhongxin (all first tone except for the "li"... say it fast and nobody will notice) should get the job done (I'm guessing the driver will be smart enough to bring you to the hotel instead of the office building on a Saturday evening even if you don't specify such).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:19 pm

If one has no notion of Mandarin, I would not bother trying to say it. Likely to be wrong, especially if you make a small error in tone. And if you happen to get it right, then be prepared to answer the question that the driver will throw at you in mandarin!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
If one has no notion of Mandarin, I would not bother trying to say it. Likely to be wrong, especially if you make a small error in tone. And if you happen to get it right, then be prepared to answer the question that the driver will throw at you in mandarin!
IME, it rarely takes more than 60 seconds for anyone to figure out how to pronounce the name of their hotel. This 60 second investment tends to pay off in spades because it spares people of having to show taxi drivers pieces of paper whenever they want to return to the hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Update, probably the last: The Beijing end of the trip went off like clockwork. No problems anywhere. The taxi driver knew exactly where the hotel was from the printout of its name. (No opportunity to learn, let alone practice, saying it before that point.) The trip cost 89 yuan on the meter plus 10 for the airport toll, at the low end of the expected range. The Kerry is very nice, a step or two above the places we usually stay! Among other things, this is the first time I've seen a toilet with a motion-activated night light!

(The trip itself was pleasant, too. The flight was delayed five hours, first for a mechanical problem, then to find another plane, and finally to round up a replacement crew, but our upgrades eventually cleared and we got 5,000 AA miles each as compensation for the delay.)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
IME, it rarely takes more than 60 seconds for anyone to figure out how to pronounce the name of their hotel. This 60 second investment tends to pay off in spades because it spares people of having to show taxi drivers pieces of paper whenever they want to return to the hotel.
Right, if you have someone to teach you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Heading to Grand Hyatt in May, 8pm arrival. I assume a taxi is my best plan too?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Madone59
Heading to Grand Hyatt in May, 8pm arrival. I assume a taxi is my best plan too?
Yes.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I'm heading to Grand Hyatt around 6pm arrival on a Saturday.
Any idea how long it will take to clear from gate to taxi?

Thinking whether I should take the hotel limo vs queuing up at the taxi line.

Had a bad experience at PEK security line where it took over 90 mins to clear.
Queue jumpers everywhere.

Originally Posted by Madone59

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.