Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Use IHG points or cheap Agoda hotel in Shanghai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

I've used points to stay at Holiday Inn in Being a few years ago, then used Agoda for an inexpensive guest house in Shanghai a year later while using TWOV.

Going via PVG in three weeks, again TWOV, and deciding where to stay.

IHG.com says It's an 8-minute walk to Lan Cun Road metro station for speedy links around the city. Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong Nanpu for 10K points, but looks like a couple of stops after changing from Line 2 from airport.

Another 10K points option is by railway station, apparently also a short walk. I've stayed in that area last time, but IIRC it takes a long time by Metro to get to PVG. In other words, it would be after 8:30 p.m. by the time I get to the hotel (I'm just not a taxi kind of guy ) And it's a United 747, so that would be in the unlikely even of ontime arrival

I see on Agoda that there are cheap hotels to be had near PVG, though some reviews say it's hard to actually get the shuttle they claim will take me to hotel.

Have a 6:45 p.m arrival at PVG, and next day departure at 5:20 p.m., so would like to spend the day wondering Shanghai.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've used points to stay at Holiday Inn in Being a few years ago, then used Agoda for an inexpensive guest house in Shanghai a year later while using TWOV.

Going via PVG in three weeks, again TWOV, and deciding where to stay.

IHG.com says It's an 8-minute walk to Lan Cun Road metro station for speedy links around the city. Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong Nanpu for 10K points, but looks like a couple of stops after changing from Line 2 from airport.

Another 10K points option is by railway station, apparently also a short walk. I've stayed in that area last time, but IIRC it takes a long time by Metro to get to PVG. In other words, it would be after 8:30 p.m. by the time I get to the hotel (I'm just not a taxi kind of guy ) And it's a United 747, so that would be in the unlikely even of ontime arrival

I see on Agoda that there are cheap hotels to be had near PVG, though some reviews say it's hard to actually get the shuttle they claim will take me to hotel.

Have a 6:45 p.m arrival at PVG, and next day departure at 5:20 p.m., so would like to spend the day wondering Shanghai.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Just spend cash (Ctrip, Agoda, Qunar, etc) to stay in an economy hotel that's well located. Look for 168, Green Tree, Jinjiang (though avoid Jinjiang Express), etc in decent areas. You'll regret staying in any of the IHG properties you mentioned unless you don't fancy venturing outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.