Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best, Most Reliable Airline Shanghai PVG- Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Best, Most Reliable Airline Shanghai PVG- Hong Kong

We will be taking a late Monday morning flight out of Shanghai PVG to Hong Kong and returning on a late afternoon/early evening flight from Hong Kong to PVG on a Thursday.

It looks like our choices for lower fares are China Eastern, Hong Kong Airlines, Dragonair and Cathay Pacific. (I don't think Cathay Pacific has very many nonstop flights, so that may be an issue.)

Is there an airline that is more reliable in terms of on-time departure/arrivals and any other tangible/intangible factors that may come into play?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
We will be taking a late Monday morning flight out of Shanghai PVG to Hong Kong and returning on a late afternoon/early evening flight from Hong Kong to PVG on a Thursday.

It looks like our choices for lower fares are China Eastern, Hong Kong Airlines, Dragonair and Cathay Pacific. (I don't think Cathay Pacific has very many nonstop flights, so that may be an issue.)

Is there an airline that is more reliable in terms of on-time departure/arrivals and any other tangible/intangible factors that may come into play?
Reliable on-time departures and arrivals are virtually non-existent on this route and it's generally down to the air traffic control issues and out of the airlines hands. Choosing either China Eastern of Dragonair/Cathay is a good bet. If the price is the same I'd choose the Dragonair/Cathay choice as there is more likely to be some decent entertainment and service on the flight.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know anyone who, when given the choice, does not fly ka/CX. It's not that we're especially wowed by the experience (though the lounges in hk are pretty nice); it's just that they're better than the rest. The large number of flights is also a plus on days when they aren't sold out because being able to switch can take some of the pain out of the delay problem. Furthermore, since the op is flying round trip, there's a decent chance that she'll be able to score an okay fare (I.e they really stick it to you on one way fares whereas spring, mu, and uo generally don't). Also check out kaholidays. Their air/hotel packages, when on offer, can make the marginal cost of the hotel very attractive.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I've done this route many times with MU and KA.

Flights that depart first thing or early in the day have been relatively on time, while late afternoon, I don't remember a flight that was NOT late or delayed.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. I will most likely book with Dragonair. However, their website is confusing as it suggests I can take an "unrestricted" number of checked bags for no additional fee.

Am I reading that correctly? One checked bag per each of our family members is sufficient, but I would like to confirm there would be no charge for this.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:46 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I will most likely book with Dragonair. However, their website is confusing as it suggests I can take an "unrestricted" number of checked bags for no additional fee.

Am I reading that correctly? One checked bag per each of our family members is sufficient, but I would like to confirm there would be no charge for this.
I've never really paid attention to the limits because I have owe status, but I always assumed they used the weight concept at 20kg per pax in y.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/tr...n-baggage.html

They go by weight. In economy, you get 20kg/44lb. You can divide up to 10 pieces, if you desire.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I've done this route many times with MU and KA.

Flights that depart first thing or early in the day have been relatively on time, while late afternoon, I don't remember a flight that was NOT late or delayed.
I second this. If you want to ensure that you're not delayed, you should take the first or second flight of the day, when the pattern is not yet backed up and you don't have to wait for incoming aircraft. Sometimes, you do get lucky (I had a 6pm departure leave on time while the 5pm was delayed until 8pm - I think it was because our plane arrived while the 5pm's plane was delayed coming out of HKG), but generally speaking, if you fly after 5-6pm, you're playing with fire.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Cathay/Dragon are pretty much interchangeable... if there is a cathay flight at your preferred time I'd go with that (using the KA code-share) - usually better IFE. If there are delays at least you have something to watch!

I'd avoid the Dragonair A320s. The refurbished A321s are good however (but the A320/321 are very tight on legroom in coach).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by kawaii
I second this. If you want to ensure that you're not delayed, you should take the first or second flight of the day, when the pattern is not yet backed up and you don't have to wait for incoming aircraft. Sometimes, you do get lucky (I had a 6pm departure leave on time while the 5pm was delayed until 8pm - I think it was because our plane arrived while the 5pm's plane was delayed coming out of HKG), but generally speaking, if you fly after 5-6pm, you're playing with fire.
Very true, with afternoon and evening HKG - PVG flights, I'm always booking an airport hotel in East Pudong to be able to crash and sleep after the inevitable delays.

Once the Kowloon HSR terminal is finished, thinking of switching to Hong Kong - Shanghai sleeper trains mostly.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Completely biased, but I felt like MU was ALWAYS delayed when I fly them domestic. International a lot better.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Completely biased, but I felt like MU was ALWAYS delayed when I fly them domestic. International a lot better.
You're certainly not alone in your opinion of mu (they didn't get the "等方" nickname by accident). But, having Shanghai has a base plays a large role in their atrocious on-time record.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by moondog
(they didn't get the "等方" nickname by accident)
That is funny.

Never heard of that moniker.

I'm gonna use it from now on.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
That is funny.

Never heard of that moniker.

I'm gonna use it from now on.
Ditto.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Originally Posted by rkkwan
http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/tr...n-baggage.html

They go by weight. In economy, you get 20kg/44lb. You can divide up to 10 pieces, if you desire.
Agree. Pretty much unlimited baggage. I prefer flying DragonAir or Cathay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.