Wiki Posts
Search

traditional shanghainese restaurant near Pudong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue

Going to a conference next week, but travelling with family. Meeting is at IC Pudong. Are there any good traditional Shanghainese restaurants either in that area or easily accessible?

We're open to other options, but when in Rome...etc.

"Jesse" is the one one always reads about, but it's a bit of a slog from the hotel...

thanks!

tb

PS I don't mean somewhere selling XLB -- we'll do that too, but want a (not necessarily fancy, and certainly not outrageously expensive) meal which showcases some traditional SH cooking.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to Shanghai Min, there are a bunch around the city. Decent food and mostly shanghai style.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks, is this the same as XiaoNanGuo -- google maps suggests one Shanghai Min, but several of the latter..but on the Chinese language website, I can't find a "Min", just the XiaoNanGuo...

Also, any indication about approximate price? Tripadvisor doesn't give details but suggests "pricey" and "beloved of expats"...which in SH could mean a lot of things, including too pricey for us!

tb
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Xiaonan guo is the same as Shanghai min for foreigners. It's the best place for a disappointment - in Shanghai or everywhere else. Overpriced, tasteless, industrialized food.

In Pudong, 桂花楼, 苏浙汇, 老克勒上海菜, 私家厨精菜坊 are safe bets.

Really great, non-chain, and "just" accross the Fuxing Lu Suidao are 瑞福园酒家 (excellent food, a lot of fish (their 鳝鱼 is fantastic), grumpy service, need to make a reservation, don't expect an English menu, small portions - so you can order a lot and try a lot. The Ruixin er Lu restaurant is near the Ruixin IC) and 永兴, which is in the same area and a restaurant every Shanghainese knows.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Jan 17, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Xiaonan guo is the same as Shanghai min for foreigners. It's the best place for a disappointment - in Shanghai or everywhere else. Overpriced, tasteless, industrialized food.
Amazing, I wonder why they are always packed then, mostly with Chinese as well. Must be they like getting ripped off for tasteless food

It's Chinese name is Xian Nan Guo so they are indeed one in the same. I took 4 of my staff there for lunch last week and it came out to around 600 RMB and we all left very full.

Shanghai Min is famous for a reason, it's good food and reasonably priced.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

We did end up at Shanghai Min/ Xiao Nan Guo. As much for convenience, ease of finding etc as anything else. Pitched up without reservations for an early dinner, and were seated at a window table with a great view. Restaurant was otherwise packed though, and not seemingly with tourists, certainly almost everyone was Chinese.

Food was OK, but not in any way spectacular, other than the specialty noodles (10 RMB/ bowl, a bargain!). The Shanghai-style sweet and sour ribs were also rather good. Prices were reasonable I felt. I don't think I'm a fan of SH food, so perhaps it was me, not the food.

Thanks for all the recs, however.

tb
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Still, my nicest Shanghai cuisine meals have all been in Zhabei. Have some born and bred SH friends who know modernized local style teahouses that don't take traditions too seriously. Quite imaginative food with fresh tastes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.