Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

ORD to PVG, Help me choose the best airline, i have no status.

ORD to PVG, Help me choose the best airline, i have no status.

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by moondog

@FLLDL: At least in J, AA's 772s have tolerable AVOD. While not as extensive as CX, I had no trouble finding enough movies and TV shows to keep me entertained on my flight last month.
good to know. I had one too many flights with the older continuous loop IFE system which was really horribly out of date.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
CX is pretty awesome if available
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by changey2
CX is pretty awesome if available
It's far from awesome in economy class.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The fact that HKG-PVG flights are often delayed (hours if Chinese military shuts down some airways, often without advance notice) makes the CX option questionable.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The fact that HKG-PVG flights are often delayed (hours if Chinese military shuts down some airways, often without advance notice) makes the CX option questionable.
Ah, yes. How could I forget about last summer? I ended up killing all non essential HK-SHA trips in July, August, and September because I got so fed up with the delays. The situation is better now, but hour+ delays are still the norm, and the occasional 3 hour delay also pops up if you do the drill often enough.

I actually do try to fly CX whenever possible, but only in at least premium economy, and if I have a true reason to be in HK (my company is based there so this is usually easy to justify).

About 10 years ago, I flew JFK-PEK via HKG, and JFK-HKG went right over PEK... 8 hours before I ended up on the ground there. This real life lesson taught be how silly the routing was/is.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
EVA has pretty good service and good safety record
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
If you have lots of time, then consider going via Seoul or Tokyo as the other carrier's products can be better. However, I did fly UA this month in economy plus to Beijing and it wasn't terrible. The AVOD is on demand and the food is ok but it was a non-stop.

Those extra hours in another airport could be better spent in your hotel in Shanghai. Also, UA has a decent arrival schedule into PVG. I've flown via SFO, ORD and EWR to PVG and they get you in the middle of the afternoon. I've thought about routing to LA to get the 787 but that adds so many hours to the flight that even in J, it isn't worth it to me.

I haven't flown in CX economy, only upfront. Even in J, doesn't make sense unless you want AA miles (although you need to check the fare as CX is stingy) as it is a longer flight to HK and then to go back north.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by johnathome
Also, UA has a decent arrival schedule into PVG. I've flown via SFO, ORD and EWR to PVG and they get you in the middle of the afternoon. I've thought about routing to LA to get the 787 but that adds so many hours to the flight that even in J, it isn't worth it to me.
When I booked last month, UA was running 747s ORD-PVG. They weren't a serious contender for my business in any case, but the 747 took that option completely off the table. I ended up going with AA, which exceeded my (very low) expectations across the board. I'm doing the reverse trip right after Thanksgiving. While I can't say that I'm looking forward to the experience, it's not something I'm dreading either (there are worse ways to spend 14 hours).

If I were the OP, I'd select flights based on a combination of price and convenience. I would never go out of my way to use a better airline at a substantially higher price point or less convenient routing if traveling Y. On a semi-related note, all transfers via NRT and some via ICN entail both an early morning departure and arrival eastbound (this gives me far worse jetlag than afternoon/evening departures/arrivals).
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by FLLDL
good to know. I had one too many flights with the older continuous loop IFE system which was really horribly out of date.
Just to update this thread, I flew AA289 today in Y, and the personal entertainment was, in fact, of the looping variety. The bigger problem is that AA's content is pretty dreadful (e.g only the cheapest --to them-- movies you could fathom) no matter how it is plated.

That having been said, everything else about my flight was pretty good:

-better food than you get on Asian carriers in Y (think passable TV dinner)
-friendly cabin staff
-seat mate devised sleeping plan that permitted each of us to occupy 4 of the 5 seats for 3-hour intervals
*you can't plan on this during busy times, but when it happens, economy is pretty tolerable
-minimal PA announcements
-14:04 flying time (Tokyo would require at least 13 hours during these winter months, and I'd still have to endure a second flight)
-had a chance to see the north pole and ULN from the air
-booze was always on offer (not a big deal for me, but this is not the case on UA)
-I initially selected one of green seats on seatguru, but switched to a normal seat in order to avail of 5-abreast; legroom was decent

In closing, while I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for the experience, AA exceeded my expectations in both directions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.