Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Speed Silk Railroad opens!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Of all of the HSR lines that have opened, this sounds like the most intriguing to me...particularly if it makes Zhangye more accessible.
Zhangye West has 4 D trains daily from Lanzhou - both the trains to Urumqi, and also two that seem to terminate at Jiayuguan. Trip time 3:25 to 3:40.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:56 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Zhangye West has 4 D trains daily from Lanzhou - both the trains to Urumqi, and also two that seem to terminate at Jiayuguan. Trip time 3:25 to 3:40.
Cheers for that!

Do you find out a lot of this info at skyscrapercity? (I used to spend hours flipping through photos of Chinese railway stations...)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Cheers for that!

Do you find out a lot of this info at skyscrapercity?
One gets this info simply by looking at timetables. Easy to find.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
One gets this info simply by looking at timetables. Easy to find.
Although many timetable sites are out of date, or in various ways inconvenient to find all information. And skyscrapercity is useful to find the news about what to look for.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although many timetable sites are out of date, or in various ways inconvenient to find all information. And skyscrapercity is useful to find the news about what to look for.
Although I know how to find up to date schedules online, I really appreciate your posts because they are timely and thorough. 多谢!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
Although I know how to find up to date schedules online, I really appreciate your posts because they are timely and thorough. 多谢!
I also appreciate the posts.

I admit to having mixed feelings about this particular high speed line. While it certainly makes visits to the Silk Road more feasible at reasonable cost and on more flexible time schedules, it makes the influx of mass (domestic) tourism much easier as well. And the more all the neat places become accessible to the casual masses, the more things will change and not for the better.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Evaluation of these new lines from Xinhua:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/in..._133881402.htm
Originally Posted by Xinhua
China's western regions are rich in natural resources and home to dozens of ethnic moronities.
bolding mine
Originally Posted by Xinhua
However, for a long time, development has been stagnant.

Thus, the three lines will not only benefit the local people in terms of transportation but will also help the local economy.

Wang Dongwei, 51, a businessman who lives in Zhangye City in Gansu Province, jumped at the opportunity to take the high speed train from Zhangye to Lanzhou.

"In the 1980s, it would take 21 hours to travel from Zhangye to Lanzhou.Even today, the normal train takes more than six hours, but now, the trip is a mere three hours," he said.

Meng Yinzhi, an agricultural worker in Gugua Village in Sandu Autonomous County, which is southwest of Guizhou, said the railway would change her life.

"I will find a job in Guangzhou after the Spring Festival, as the new railway reduces the trip from two days to just three hours, meaning I will be able to change my work/life balance," said Meng, 36.

She explained that she had worked in Guangzhou for several years, but had returned home five years ago to take care of her elderly parents and baby, leaving her husband in the coastal city.
3 and a half hours, like Zhangye-Lanzhou or Nanning-Guangzhou, may be too long for a daily commute, but not for a weekly commute.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:41 am

Yes, I am not saying that the announcement is not useful, just saying that the details of each train can be found on most agents' websites. The majority of the (English website) are "live" with 12306 and therefore always current. As far as I know, only cnvol, which used to be the "go to place" for timetables in English is downloading the schedule "from time to time" and is not so useful any more as it is rarely up to date.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:54 am

The Xinhua article points out the most important point that my previous self-absorbed post avoided: for the local people who live along this line, it will make their lives a lot easier. As well as increase the likelihood of economic development and greater opportunity/prosperity, similar to what's happened along HSR lines in eastern China.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

just saying that the details of each train can be found on most agents' websites. The majority of the (English website) are "live" with 12306 and therefore always current. As far as I know, only cnvol, which used to be the "go to place" for timetables in English is downloading the schedule "from time to time"
For example, travelchinaguide commonly takes a long time to translate the names of new stations. Meaning that now (29th in China), the railways that opened on 26th only present the names of new stations in hieroglyphs. Chinahighlights does have transcribed (rather than translated) names, but it has other problems. While travelchinaguide presents the stops of a train on a new guide, chinahighlights shows them on a dropdown or something, and if it is longer than the page height, it will be cut off with no way to see the end. And other problems. Thus, neither site offers satisfactory full information.

Consider exercise of getting out of Zhangye, to Lanzhou. The high speed option would be:
11:49 D2758 originating at Jiayuguan at 10:24 - arrival Lanzhou 15:21
18:24 D2743 - arrival Zhangye 22:04, terminates Jiayuguan 23:37
Pure slow speed option might be:
7:51 Z106 originating Urumqi yesterday 20:28 - arrival Lanzhou 12:05, terminates Jinan the next day 9:21
18:31 Z41 originating Shanghai yesterday 19:45 - arrival Zhangye 22:50, terminates Urumqi the next day 10:36.

Looks like slow speed trains like Z trains run on the high speed line, too.

Last edited by chornedsnorkack; Dec 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:46 pm

My understanding is that is correct. The existing rail line used for passenger trains will be devoted to 100% freight usage.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
My understanding is that is correct. The existing rail line used for passenger trains will be devoted to 100% freight usage.
There are still trains on the old line. Of which the fastest, Z135 Guangzhou-Urumqi, travels the 547 km Lanzhou-Zhangye in 5:18. After all, the High Speed Silk Railway follows a different route, via Xining, and therefore the places on old railway must be served by passenger trains on old railway.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:23 pm

There are still trains on the old line. Of which the fastest, Z135 Guangzhou-Urumqi, travels the 547 km Lanzhou-Zhangye in 5:18. After all, the High Speed Silk Railway follows a different route, via Xining, and therefore the places on old railway must be served by passenger trains on old railway.
Well that's true. In particular, Wuwei and Jinchang are fairly sizeable towns and significant stops on the old line between Lanzhou and Zhangye that are not served by the new rail line. However, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, the current number of passenger trains on the old line are reduced once demand is apparent and schedules recalibrated. 2015 will be a transitional year.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:20 pm

For example, travelchinaguide commonly takes a long time to translate the names of new stations. Meaning that now (29th in China), the railways that opened on 26th only present the names of new stations in hieroglyphs. Chinahighlights does have transcribed (rather than translated) names, but it has other problems. While travelchinaguide presents the stops of a train on a new guide, chinahighlights shows them on a dropdown or something, and if it is longer than the page height, it will be cut off with no way to see the end. And other problems. Thus, neither site offers satisfactory full information.

Consider exercise of getting out of Zhangye, to Lanzhou. The high speed option would be:
11:49 D2758 originating at Jiayuguan at 10:24 - arrival Lanzhou 15:21
18:24 D2743 - arrival Zhangye 22:04, terminates Jiayuguan 23:37
Pure slow speed option might be:
7:51 Z106 originating Urumqi yesterday 20:28 - arrival Lanzhou 12:05, terminates Jinan the next day 9:21
18:31 Z41 originating Shanghai yesterday 19:45 - arrival Zhangye 22:50, terminates Urumqi the next day 10:36.

Yes maybe, I never use these two. I just checked a few trains (not all the new ones) on China DIY travel (which I normally use) and they seem up to date. I assume that the other ones will be updated shortly.
What do you mean by transcribed names? I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you mean by transcribed names? I have no idea what you are talking about.
I was wondering the same thing because "pinyin transliteration = translation" is pretty much the rule for city names.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.