Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Really? Interesting. What was the up charge?

If you go the embassy they have signs in every window with "no same day visa" on it.
CTS was able to get this done on the same day. I was also quite surprised. Total cost was HK$3800 so, yes, very steep upcharge.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
I just applied for a tourist visa at the consulate in NY and was issued a 10yr visa with 60 day stay. Sweet!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Actually, the Chinese do recognize dual citizenship of foreigners such as UK/US, it's just that the excuse given was not quite the right one. Normally, they want you to use the passport of the country you are in. If you were in the USA as a dual and wanted to submit the UK passport to get a Chinese visa, they would see that you had no US visa and when you came clean about being a US citizen also, they would have insisted that you apply on the US passport. Applying in a third "neutral" location such as Hong Kong, you could have chosen the one you wanted to use.

This is one of those situations where if you wanted to get the 10-year visa, you should have FedEx'd your US passport and visa application back to an agent in the USA, using a US address (family, friend, office, etc.) for the application information, then had the passport with 10-year visa sent to said family/friend address, for them to Fed Ex back to you in the UK. The additional costs would have been more than made up by the more generous visa terms.

Incorrect. I am dual of Spain and US and I have never had a problem getting the Chinese visa issued on my Spain passport (at the Chinese consulate in NYC), I have done it 3 times already, no questions asked. They just ask for a copy of the data page of the US passport and they never check the stamps or mention the lack of stamps/visas in my US passport (my US passport basically has no stamps in it at all as I only use it when entering the US and always use the Spain passport for all other travel). However, each time they would only issue me a maximum of 6 month double-entry visa.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by acf1270
Incorrect. I am dual of Spain and US and I have never had a problem getting the Chinese visa issued on my Spain passport (at the Chinese consulate in NYC), I have done it 3 times already, no questions asked. They just ask for a copy of the data page of the US passport and they never check the stamps or mention the lack of stamps/visas in my US passport (my US passport basically has no stamps in it at all as I only use it when entering the US and always use the Spain passport for all other travel). However, each time they would only issue me a maximum of 6 month double-entry visa.
You are an anomaly. The exception, not the rule. Like we always say here, the NYC Consulate is the most unpredictable one in the USA and has been that way for some time. Perhaps there is something unique about yourself that is not apparent from your post. I daresay that regardless of your anecdotal evidence, there are FAR more dual citizen-applicant stories that end with the opposite conclusion/outcome.

At any rate, your post seems out of place on this thread, which is about the new 10-year visas. Which obviously you can't get on your Spanish passport.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:38 am

Hullo, just wondering: I have this silly fear of applying for long-term visas and since I'm on a time crunch (trip is in two weeks) I'm wary of sending in for 10 year visa and having it denied. I'm concerned because I've never actually gone to China before. I am a 22 year-old student applying for a tourist visa, I know I'm all up to code there. But am I better off just applying for a 3 month visa now and a ten in the future (I do intend to return)? Do they even -care- about that?

I wouldn't be so hesitant if time wasn't so tight. Your experience would be appreciated!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sunspirt
Hullo, just wondering: I have this silly fear of applying for long-term visas and since I'm on a time crunch (trip is in two weeks) I'm wary of sending in for 10 year visa and having it denied. I'm concerned because I've never actually gone to China before. I am a 22 year-old student applying for a tourist visa, I know I'm all up to code there. But am I better off just applying for a 3 month visa now and a ten in the future (I do intend to return)? Do they even -care- about that?

I wouldn't be so hesitant if time wasn't so tight. Your experience would be appreciated!
No. You'll get 10 years by default.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:47 am

More importantly, who knows how US-Sino relations will progress in coming years. China sometimes switches visa policy quickly on small slights.

So you get the 10-year now because you can get it now.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:50 am

I agree with moondog. Besides, if the visa officer did have a problem handing you a 10-year visa, s/he wouldn't just deny you outright, just issue you a one-year or something like that. Stop worrying and get the application in. Most important thing is that you checklist that you've supplied everything they ask for and that the application is filled out with no blanks (put n/a for non applicable items).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:17 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by 889
More importantly, who knows how US-Sino relations will progress in coming years. China sometimes switches visa policy quickly on small slights.

So you get the 10-year now because you can get it now.
In the runup to the 08 Olympics they made you jump thru a lot
of hoops to get a visa. In the past 20 years don't recall them denying
entry if you already had a visa.

Best to get the 10 year sooner than later as they could at any time have a riff and add roadblocks to getting one.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I just got my 10 year visa from the NYC consulate. However, I applied for a tourist (L) visa and was granted a business (M) visa. (Possibly because I previously had a business visa in 2008.)

Will this cause any problems for entering China for tourism?

Are all 10 year visas issued as business (M) or is this just an anomaly?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I just got my 10 year visa from the NYC consulate. However, I applied for a tourist (L) visa and was granted a business (M) visa. (Possibly because I previously had a business visa in 2008.)

Will this cause any problems for entering China for tourism?
No.

Are all 10 year visas issued as business (M) or is this just an anomaly?
There are several different varieties of 10 year visas. I wouldn't say that any are anomalies.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:05 am

Can anyone think of a reason why they'd give me business? It seems odd.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:07 am

Can anyone think of a reason why they'd give me business? It seems odd.
Because your previous visa was business (you suggested this yourself, and I don't find it odd in the slightest).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Because your previous visa was business (you suggested this yourself, and I don't find it odd in the slightest).
Hmm. Maybe. I remember business visas being really hard to get (although that was in early 2008 in the run up to the Olympics), and I didn't submit any business-related invitation letters or documentation this time, so.... dunno.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:11 pm

Hmm. Maybe. I remember business visas being really hard to get (although that was in early 2008 in the run up to the Olympics), and I didn't submit any business-related invitation letters or documentation this time, so.... dunno.
My guess is somebody at the visa office just had a brain fart and issued you the M instead of the L. For the most part, it's not a problem, you can do tourism things on your M visa. Probably easiest when filling out that little arrival card, to remember to check "Business" as the reason for visiting China, even if you don't intend to do any business activities. The check box will square with the visa type, which is what you want to present.

The only issue with this type of visa is if you wanted to visit Tibet. Anybody on a "sponsored" visa (generally, anything other than an L) who wants to go to Tibet must now supply a Letter from the sponsor (original writer of the visa application invitation letter) that acknowledges it's OK for you to do so. This could be awkward since you got an M with no sponsor/invite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.