Wiki Posts
Search

Weekends from Suzhou

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Weekends from Suzhou

Hi all,

As long as it seems until I go home, I also realize that with my work commitments I only have a couple more chances to take a weekend away from Suzhou (though I still have a lot to see here!).

I am looking for suggestions for 1-3 nights away (Thursday or Friday-Sunday). I'd prefer to go by train just to avoid the hassles of air travel and getting to airports (I know - it is FT, but not a lot of points to be earned here!), though might consider it.

I have some 'free' hotel options including 2 free Omni nights which I can for a limited time use at Kempinski in some Chinese locations (a break from my apartment even in Suzhou might be nice since I won't have a chance to use them when I get back and there are a few Kempinskis on Taihu), 1 Marriott Cat-5 plus some points, 20k+ SPG points and for just the right Hilton I'd pay cash with my soon-to-be-gone Diamond benefits .

Hangzhou is often listed alongside Suzhou as being beautiful to visit, so that is definitely an option and a nice direct HSR trip. Where would be the best place to stay to see sights?

I am not sure about Shanghai though I keep hearing that I should go. GREAT hotel options right on the Bund (and off) but I'm not really sure what I would see. Maybe the luxury of the Kempinski or Conrad would be worth a getaway even if I didn't get out much . I have no interest in clubs or shopping or office buildings (though there are some pretty cool ones!). I will also spend my last night on this China trip in December and then don't leave PVG until 8pm so I have a day to explore.

One option that I have considered is Xi'an. When I talk to people at home they ask what I have seen - the Great Wall? The Terracotta Warriors? But I have asked a couple of colleagues and they say that it is more famous among foreigners and the city isn't what it used to be. I could fly from SHA and have a few nights there but it is it really the best use of limited time?

Somewhere with a 'Beijing Hikers' type option for a day trip would be great.

If there is a FT 'Do' somewhere then maybe that would be the best option!

Sorry for rambling. I spent a while after work today looking through my guidebooks and there are SO many places that I want to see and won't get the chance!!

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:44 am

Not sure where you have been. Close to Suzhou you also have Nanjing. Just enough to do for a week-end.
If you can, you should definitely try to fo to Beijing. It is the number 1 tourist destination in China for good reasons. Just take a bullet train one evening after work.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:58 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Nanjing would be good if you are interested in history.

The tallest pagoda in the world is in Changzhou, which also is home to the China Dinosaur Park.

The HSR can easily get you to both places. NTM, Suzhou has a rather photogenic HSR station.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went to Beijing 2 weekends ago and loved it! Urban Planning museum was a surprise highlight and I had a great hike with clear air and fall colours with Beijing Hikers. I'm hoping for a shorter trip.

I was sick when I went to Nanjing, but I have to say I'm considering going back I loved it so much! I only saw a fraction of the sites around Sun Yat Sen's Mausoleum (including a couple of really quiet, lesser-seen museums) but could spend another day there easily.

I will look up Changzhou. I admit that I have never been there.

There are actually 2 HSR stations in Suzhou: the 'main' Suzhou station and Suzhou North (which is for trains to Beijing). The main station is MUCH nicer!

Dr. PITUK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.