Wiki Posts
Search

express lane in PEK for J arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Wondering whether there is an expedited arrival que for J passengers coming on Air China from HKG?

Thanks for your insights!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 747FC
Wondering whether there is an expedited arrival que for J passengers coming on Air China from HKG?

Thanks for your insights!
There is not.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Moondog. You have been consistently helpful in my trip research. T-8 and counting.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:47 am

I never found the waiting time too long in Beijing. I once made it from siting on the plane to sitting on a taxi in 30 minutes.
When you pass immigration, there are several counter for "Foreigners" and others for "Chinese Nationals", My trick is, I always line up in the last line for foreigners, next to counters for Chinese. Their lines often go faster and you may get waved to that side, saving you a bit of time.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
I never found the waiting time too long in Beijing. I once made it from siting on the plane to sitting on a taxi in 30 minutes.
When you pass immigration, there are several counter for "Foreigners" and others for "Chinese Nationals", My trick is, I always line up in the last line for foreigners, next to counters for Chinese. Their lines often go faster and you may get waved to that side, saving you a bit of time.
Thanks, JPDM
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
LOL thought I was the only one that did this - it ALWAYS works when the US flights get in as it goes from nothing to PACKED in about 10 minutes - and it's nearly all foreigners - I just glance to the right and they almost always pull you over.... On my last trip I used TWOV and that unfortunately is a special line - that no one was stationed at when I arrived....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:29 am

I often used to just go and queue up in the queues for Chinese people if they were shorter--no-one would bat an eyelid if you did this, but recently, they don't let you do this.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bridgeair
I often used to just go and queue up in the queues for Chinese people if they were shorter--no-one would bat an eyelid if you did this, but recently, they don't let you do this.
An Italian acquaintance brought my wife and I into the domestic arrival line at VCE, seeing that the visitor line had about 300 Chinese awaiting clearance. After some loud Italian back and forth, the immigration officer got a stamp from the other line and passed us through.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:05 am

An Italian acquaintance brought my wife and I into the domestic arrival line at VCE, seeing that the visitor line had about 300 Chinese awaiting clearance. After some loud Italian back and forth, the immigration officer got a stamp from the other line and passed us through.
I think the procedure for the immigration officers is different based on if you are a resident or not. If you are a foreign resident, it may be easier for them to bend the rules than otherwise.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:34 am

Those "Chinese" in the line may have an Asian face but they probably held passports from other countries. I find that it is usually the case of at least half of the people in the "Foreigners" line.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
To the westerners, all easterners look alike.

To the easterners, all westerners look alike.

Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Quote:

Those "Chinese" in the line may have an Asian face but they probably held passports from other countries. I find that it is usually the case of at least half of the people in the "Foreigners" line.
A big clue to the nationality was that big Chinese carrier parked on the Tarmac. My Asian wife also has a pretty good ability to discern the nationalities of Asian faces/dress styles.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Immigration line took all of 60 seconds on a Sunday at 1730 hrs. Waiting for luggage took close to 60 minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:07 am

A big clue to the nationality was that big Chinese carrier parked on the Tarmac. My Asian wife also has a pretty good ability to discern the nationalities of Asian faces/dress styles.
Yes, that tells you something but not their nationalities. When traveling I play that "guess where they are from" game with my girlfriend all the time. You'd think my girlfriend is from south of China and she was born there but she is Australian. Tons of Chinese immigrate and some did not so long ago. so they fit all the stereotypes of a Chinese but hold a foreign passport, hence the explanation why they line up in the "foreigners" line at immigration. Their appearance will tell you that they are "ethnic" Chinese, not what passport they hold.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Moondog is right, no special line for J.

I was in Beijing last week (pre-APEC although they already had a special line for that) and had to wait nearly 45 minutes. The Visitor line was long (flew from Newark on the UA flight) and no one on the China line. They did not wave anyone over. My colleague who is a China national was able to go first to the rest room and then she ended up waiting for me for a good 30 minutes.

At least we didn't wait for our baggage, they were already on the belt when we got there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.