Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Arrive 2 hours Early to Shanghai Train Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist

I used a popular train ticket booking service to get train tickets from Shanghai Hongqiao train station to Hangzhou on Sept 21. They are advising me to arrive 2 hours prior to the train's departure (only 1 hour train ride) due to crowding around the time of the "Chinese National holidays". My understanding was that this was in October, however.

Can anyone advise whether 2 hours in advance is really necessary when we are just picking up the tickets from an internet order? It seems extreme but we'll do it if we really need to.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I used a popular train ticket booking service to get train tickets from Shanghai Hongqiao train station to Hangzhou on Sept 21. They are advising me to arrive 2 hours prior to the train's departure (only 1 hour train ride) due to crowding around the time of the "Chinese National holidays". My understanding was that this was in October, however.

Can anyone advise whether 2 hours in advance is really necessary when we are just picking up the tickets from an internet order? It seems extreme but we'll do it if we really need to.
I usually shoot for t-15, but have cut it VERY close in the past. Since this is presumably your first time, t-30 wouldn't be a bad idea.

But, your track number is printed in your ticket, so you'll know exactly where to go. Track 1 is the furthest away from the subway station, while ~30 is the closest. The walk from the subway station to track one is a solid 5 minutes.

I don't think 9/21 should be any more crowded than normal. There are two fall holidays, but Zhongqiu occurred early this year. The "popular train booking service" seems to be confused.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I usually shoot for t-15, but have cut it VERY close in the past. Since this is presumably your first time, t-30 wouldn't be a bad idea.

But, your track number is printed in your ticket, so you'll know exactly where to go. Track 1 is the furthest away from the subway station, while ~30 is the closest. The walk from the subway station to track one is a solid 5 minutes.

I don't think 9/21 should be any more crowded than normal. There are two fall holidays, but Zhongqiu occurred early this year. The "popular train booking service" seems to be confused.
Thanks moondog. 30 minutes is what we were also thinking before we read that warning. I think this is just a standard disclaimer for the company. If we were actually traveling during the golden week I'd be inclined to get the tickets a day early, or better yet, reschedule our entire trip.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you'll need to wait in line at the ticket window to pick up the tickets you booked online, then I'd advise an hour before. Make sure you are waiting in the correct line as only one of the many ticket lines at the ticket counter is for picking up tickets booked online. 2 hours is overkill. If you already had tickets in hand then I'd go with Moondog's advice but since you don't you'll need more time.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Since you'll need to wait in line at the ticket window to pick up the tickets you booked online, then I'd advise an hour before. Make sure you are waiting in the correct line as only one of the many ticket lines at the ticket counter is for picking up tickets booked online. 2 hours is overkill. If you already had tickets in hand then I'd go with Moondog's advice but since you don't you'll need more time.

Oops. I missed that part. I thought the main reason to use one of those agencies was because they sent the tickets to you.

Fortunately, there is another alternative to the train station scrum. Any remote kiosk (I usually use the one near JA Temple) can print tickets for a fee of Y5. I didn't believe it the first time Ctrip advised me to do this, but it works like a charm.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Noted, thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Oops. I missed that part. I thought the main reason to use one of those agencies was because they sent the tickets to you.

Fortunately, there is another alternative to the train station scrum. Any remote kiosk (I usually use the one near JA Temple) can print tickets for a fee of Y5. I didn't believe it the first time Ctrip advised me to do this, but it works like a charm.
I think they said this won't work for foreigners since we need to have passports checked at one of the stations. The only reason we used an agency was to reserve the seats in advance. Supposedly the internet purchase pick-up line is shorter too.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:51 pm

I think they said this won't work for foreigners since we need to have passports checked at one of the stations. The only reason we used an agency was to reserve the seats in advance. Supposedly the internet purchase pick-up line is shorter too.
I am a foreigner and I always pick up tickets at kiosks (with my passport or passport scan); trust me, it really works! I am starting to seriously question the competency of this agency.

You might need to show your passport to board the train (or you might not), but this is not related to printing tickets.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I am a foreigner and I always pick up tickets at kiosks (with my passport or passport scan); trust me, it really works! I am starting to seriously question the competency of this agency.

You might need to show your passport to board the train (or you might not), but this is not related to printing tickets.
Thanks, we'll give this a shot if we can find one. Is there a link to the map of locations? Or do you know of one that's on or near the Bund?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:55 pm

Thanks, we'll give this a shot if we can find one. Is there a link to the map of locations? Or do you know of one that's on or near the Bund?
In the following map, C is close to the Bund (23 Zhonghua Lu 中华路23):

http://map.baidu.com/?newmap=1&ie=ut...A4%96%E6%BB%A9
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I would second the 1 hour before hand. Missing a train in China is no fun, to rebook you have to get back guess where....that long line that caused you to miss your train.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I would second the 1 hour before hand. Missing a train in China is no fun, to rebook you have to get back guess where....that long line that caused you to miss your train.
For people that haven't picked up their tickets yet, I agree; my first trip from Shenzhen north a few months ago entailed a 30 minute line for will call (made for a really lousy start to the day), but since then, I've resolved to always get tickets at off site kiosks.

With tickets in hand, t-15 is more than enough if you know your way around because boarding doesn't start until t-10.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:41 am

After reading this thread I decided to book my ticket for the weekend at an agent instead of risking showing up at the station. The online services also seemed to have Sunday pretty booked up for the return. I am picking my tickets up tomorrow. I think that they charge 10 RMB each way extra, but that seems a pretty good deal based on this thread!

Of course she spoke no English and my 3-lesson-Mandarin is limited to times and days with terrible pronunciation (it took a calendar and welcome patience for her to understand that I meant Sunday - I just can't get that 'ri' sound yet!) so we well see where I end up .

I'm also going to show up super-early just in case - I will bring a book .

Good luck to the OP!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk

I'm also going to show up super-early just in case - I will bring a book .
Honestly, since you already have your ticket, there is nothing at the train station that will impede your progress apart from your lack of familiarity with the train station. But, even this is just a two step mental process: 1) locate departures level; 2) find proper track which --as mentioned earlier-- is written on your ticket.

In terms of waiting areas, restaurants will let you sit down if you make a purchase. It's often really difficult to find seats on the departures floor itself.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:39 am

You can buy tickets at those kiosks (if there are any left) but you cannot pick up tickets bought online. Rules changed earlier this year. So, post #7 was correct. Also no longer possible to pick them up at the airport.
You can also pass by any station (possibly one closer to your hotel) on the previous day (like late at night) to save you some time before departure.
The point of using agents is not to have tickets delivered to your hotel but to secure tickets that will probably no longer be available when you arrive in China and also to make sure that you can respect your itinerary, especially if traveling as a family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.