Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Arrive 2 hours Early to Shanghai Train Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrive 2 hours Early to Shanghai Train Station?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Honestly, since you already have your ticket, there is nothing at the train station that will impede your progress apart from your lack of familiarity with the train station. But, even this is just a two step mental process: 1) locate departures level; 2) find proper track which --as mentioned earlier-- is written on your ticket.

In terms of waiting areas, restaurants will let you sit down if you make a purchase. It's often really difficult to find seats on the departures floor itself.
Thanks Moondog. I am learning that my lack of familiarity can add lots of time and lead to many diversions . Heck, I wasn't 100% sure which train station I was starting from! I tend to be early anyways, but it fit in my schedule well this way.

The station at Suzhou has LOTS of seating! I was really surprised how quiet it was, though I suppose that it was early afternoon on Friday. I expect that it will be busier on Sunday heading home. I enjoy people-watching in any case so even though it is pretty straightforward, and I can check out here as late as I like, I will probably still show up early .

It seems basic, but I felt pretty good about myself buying a ticket, making it to the (correct) train station by taxi (bus next time!), taking the train and then making it to my fancy hotel all by myself . It is maybe a bit sad since I've been working here almost 4 weeks!

Being in such an exotic land sets up challenges that to many seem not to be challenges at all, but they are still nice to overcome. I had a very deep conversation with a PLA doctor today saying that I was Canadian, he was from Shanghai, I was a teacher (I don't know the word for professor!) and that it was very hot! (Trying for a Chinese word for pseudo-ephedrine for my cold didn't go far!) I also asked a storekeeper the price of something, understood the answer and said that it was too expensive (OK - first I said it was too big and when they were confused I realized and I got it right ) and was able to understand 6 in hand-language (not sure what the proper term for that is).

I'll still show up early for things, but will enjoy it as I do!

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by painintheuk
The station at Suzhou has LOTS of seating! I was really surprised how quiet it was, though I suppose that it was early afternoon on Friday. I expect that it will be busier on Sunday heading home. I enjoy people-watching in any case so even though it is pretty straightforward, and I can check out here as late as I like, I will probably still show up early .
At least four HSR stations within Suzhou city limits (six or so if you include Kunshan) so wonder which one you are describing?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
At least four HSR stations within Suzhou city limits (six or so if you include Kunshan) so wonder which one you are describing?
I wanted to go from Suzhou north to Nanjing south. I had train times off the internet good to go. When I went to buy the ticket from the local ticket office a few days in advance she kept saying no, no, no to those and i ended up going from the main Suzhou station to the main Nanjing station.

Dr. PITUK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.