Shanghai cocktail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai cocktail?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Shanghai cocktail?

My husband likes to have a good cocktail when visiting a new city. (and buy flannel boxer shorts, a weird tradition we started a few years back by necessity during a snow storm in Amsterdam)

Any suggestions? We will be spending 4 nights at the Jinjiang Pine City hotel (I have meetings at Fudan medical center campus) and then 5 nights at Hyatt on the Bund. Reviews of the Vue at the Hyatt haven't been good - overpriced (which I can overlook for one drink), bad drinks and bad service (harder for me to overlook) Any recommendations?

Also - geez, I have been looking at maps for weeks planning our trip and still do not have a good grasp of the neighborhood/area names. Any good maps or descriptions available?

And if anyone knows a place to buy flannel boxers, let me know
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
My husband likes to have a good cocktail when visiting a new city. (and buy flannel boxer shorts, a weird tradition we started a few years back by necessity during a snow storm in Amsterdam)

Any suggestions? We will be spending 4 nights at the Jinjiang Pine City hotel (I have meetings at Fudan medical center campus) and then 5 nights at Hyatt on the Bund. Reviews of the Vue at the Hyatt haven't been good - overpriced (which I can overlook for one drink), bad drinks and bad service (harder for me to overlook) Any recommendations?

Also - geez, I have been looking at maps for weeks planning our trip and still do not have a good grasp of the neighborhood/area names. Any good maps or descriptions available?

And if anyone knows a place to buy flannel boxers, let me know
El Coctel. It's not close to the Bund, but you can grab a great meal in the area before or after. Try out Goga; you will love it.

As for boxers, if you really want to pick some up in Shanghai, try out the fabric market on the South Bund. While the boxers you can buy at Macy's are both better and cheaper, you can score your husband some very nice custom made dress shirts there. PM me for details.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shanghai cocktail?

Go to Lost Heaven on the Bund, sit on their outside patio and have their signature Thai Zeed cocktail. You'll enjoy it, guaranteed.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
This might not be a majority opinion, but still tend to prefer the 505 Bar at the Sofitel Hyland Hotel for small informal gatherings.

Good, "European" bar snacks and a decent wine list. Champagne cocktails would be my choice other than beer and wine...

Location is also more practical than at the Bund fringes.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Thank you for the ideas! We do have a few nights - we could try them all^
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:30 pm

Bund Favorites (in order of personal preference): Mr. and Mrs. Bund, Light & Salt, Hakkasan, Long Bar (Waldorf Astoria), New Heights, Char, Glamour Bar

Other areas: Senator Saloon, Constellation 2, Speak Low, Union Trading Company, El Ocho
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by sniles
Bund Favorites (in order of personal preference): Mr. and Mrs. Bund, Light & Salt, Hakkasan, Long Bar (Waldorf Astoria), New Heights, Char, Glamour Bar

Other areas: Senator Saloon, Constellation 2, Speak Low, Union Trading Company, El Ocho
Amazing place!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
My husband likes to have a good cocktail when visiting a new city.

Any suggestions?
Barbarossa (near People's square) is a must. They have recently changed their happy hour (I think it now starts at 230pm until 6).

Long Bar at the Waldorf Astoria (bund) is also good, with a beautufully restored bar to 1920s/30s style.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Lost Heaven if it is the Yunnan Restaurant is tasty food. The Apartment is a nice venue and the Library Distillery in the French Concession is an awesome place.

If in Pudong, the Park Hyatt Lobby has great views and the bar on the top floor is comfy/plush and has a library like atmosphere (but no real view). Though I typically try to avoid hotel bars...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd suggest the Park Hyatt but be aware that there can be lines for elevators and taxis there, with preference to hotel (overnight) guests.

It could also be fun to use the drink as an excuse to walk through the Peace Hotel on the Bund.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd suggest the Park Hyatt but be aware that there can be lines for elevators and taxis there, with preference to hotel (overnight) guests.
Also, while the lobby bar is better for business talk or larger groups, the upper bar is preferable by far for an almost seductive "big city" atmosphere when you are there with a SO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.