Search

Leaving US and arriving China on "HK & Macau return card"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
Leaving US and arriving China on "HK & Macau return card"

Hi all,

I have this specific question about the use of "HK Macau return to mainland China card" If you're HK/Macau resident then you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm a US passport holder (No china VISA) and I also have the said card. Basically I have 2 question:

1) Travelling from LAX-PVG. Will the AA agent allow me to board the plane without a Chinese VISA ? I only have the subject card.

2) Will Chinese immigration let me enter Shanghai with the subject card ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by greasy
Hi all,

I have this specific question about the use of "HK Macau return to mainland China card" If you're HK/Macau resident then you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm a US passport holder (No china VISA) and I also have the said card. Basically I have 2 question:

1) Travelling from LAX-PVG. Will the AA agent allow me to board the plane without a Chinese VISA ? I only have the subject card.

2) Will Chinese immigration let me enter Shanghai with the subject card ?
You're familiar with TWOV rules for China?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html

Basically if you're going to fly XXX-PVG-HKG, and staying less than 72 hours in PVG, you'll be fine (regardless of any HKG permit). You can't do LAX-PVG-LAX, and you can't stay longer than 72 hours on the TWOV.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
I'm just doing LAX-PVG-LAX.
And I'm afraid the ground staff in LAX won't let me board. Perhaps I can make a fake reservation PVG-somewhere and show them?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You're familiar with TWOV rules for China?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html

Basically if you're going to fly XXX-PVG-HKG, and staying less than 72 hours in PVG, you'll be fine (regardless of any HKG permit). You can't do LAX-PVG-LAX, and you can't stay longer than 72 hours on the TWOV.
The OP has an HRP! This is far better than any sort of visa (i.e. pretty much unrestricted), and airlines are quite used to them.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
The OP has an HRP! This is far better than any sort of visa (i.e. pretty much unrestricted), and airlines are quite used to them.
Agreed. The poster should have no problems: especially from CA where there are a lot of HK resident permit holders!

tb
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
Agreed. The poster should have no problems: especially from CA where there are a lot of HK resident permit holders!

tb
HRPs should not be confused with ordinary HKIDs, TB. You and I can snag the latter if we live in HK for 2 years, but we can never get the former because we aren't Chinese (i.e. lineage means a lot), and we weren't born in HK/Macau.

My friends who have HRPs have NEVER experienced any scrutiny from airline employees; they are as bullet proof as it gets.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:00 am

HRPs should not be confused with ordinary HKIDs, TB. You and I can snag the latter if we live in HK for 2 years, but we can never get the former because we aren't Chinese (i.e. lineage means a lot), and we weren't born in HK/Macau.

My friends who have HRPs have NEVER experienced any scrutiny from airline employees; they are as bullet proof as it gets.
Agreed...which is why I agreed with the 'residence permit' nomenclature in my post.

tb
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
Agreed...which is why I agreed with the 'residence permit' nomenclature in my post.

tb
What I was suggesting is that an HKID is a "residence permit", but an HRP is an entirely different animal (i.e. you don't need to be a HK resident to get one, and many HK residents can't get them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Return_Permit

We could include this info in the visa thread wiki, but I'm inclined not to because anyone who has an HRP should know full well that it serves in lieu of a PRC visa.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:01 am

What I was suggesting is that an HKID is a "residence permit", but an HRP is an entirely different animal (i.e. you don't need to be a HK resident to get one, and many HK residents can't get them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Return_Permit

We could include this info in the visa thread wiki, but I'm inclined not to because anyone who has an HRP should know full well that it serves in lieu of a PRC visa.
OK, fair enough. I call the HKID just that...

tb
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Talked to Chinese Embassy at Copenhagen about this, they told me that as long as I have my SAR passport with me, there shouldn't be any problem. However when I told them that I also have Danish passport, then they said they don't know.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:16 pm

AKL-PVG on AirNZ, AirNZ allowed me to board once i showed them the card and they seemed to know what it is too

Herded into the Chinese National / HK-Macau Resident line at PVG. no issues at Customs but was asked where i came from, presumably there was no flight from HKG landing around that time. i answered truthfully and got through
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I asked Mr. to ask about this at SAS counter at CPH since they decide whether they will let me on board on not. He showed my home return permit to the guy and he said, 'this looks like a bank card'. Then he called someone that verifies documents and he knows about the card.

The guy in SAS seems to be very used to this and tell me that I have to board the flight my Danish passport and enter China with that card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.