Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Question about Shanghai (PVG) International Transit on MU

We're traveling on YVR-PVG-BKK next week on China Eastern.

Older posts on this forum mention needing to go through immigration and baggage claim then rechecking for the onward connection but those posts all seem to involve connections between different airlines/change of terminals.

Would we need to go thru immigration/customs even though we're connecting on the same airline (MU) and don't need to change terminals?

Thanks!

samplat
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by samplat
We're traveling on YVR-PVG-BKK next week on China Eastern.

Older posts on this forum mention needing to go through immigration and baggage claim then rechecking for the onward connection but those posts all seem to involve connections between different airlines/change of terminals.

Would we need to go thru immigration/customs even though we're connecting on the same airline (MU) and don't need to change terminals?

Thanks!

samplat
Probably not.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:39 am

Shanghai transit procedure help..

We are flying from Toronto - PVG - Singapore. Transiting in PVG for about 4 hours. From Singapore, we are taking a cruise, with 2 stops (non-consequtive) in China. Our cruiseline has confirmed we will need a double entry visa for the cruise portion of the trip. I know I don't need any transit visa while in PVG. I have a few questions:
1) I'm arriving in T2 of PVG and departing from T2 of PVG. Do I even have to go through Immigration? How about Customs and Inspection?
2) What is the procedure for transiting? Can you walk me through what to expect for this transit? Forms to fill, where to go, etc. Will our passport have a stamp from Chinese immigration?
3) My main concern really is that the immigration officer makes a mistake in thinking that we are going into Shanghai for a visit, and therefore use up of one of our entry visa (we needed a double for the upcoming cruise). How can we avoid this? I mean how do we know when one entry has been taken off? (i.e. do they make a stamp on the passport signaling one entry has been used up? a mark or some sort? At least if I know the procedure, I can make an attempt to stop them if they are in the middle of making this error.

Thank you.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lisalovlee33
We are flying from Toronto - PVG - Singapore. Transiting in PVG for about 4 hours. From Singapore, we are taking a cruise, with 2 stops (non-consequtive) in China. Our cruiseline has confirmed we will need a double entry visa for the cruise portion of the trip. I know I don't need any transit visa while in PVG. I have a few questions:
Try to get a multiple entry visa, if possible, just to eliminate the (extremely small) chance of having an entry wasted in Shanghai on your outbound. If it's too late for that, I suggest you find an image of the transfer stamp on google to print out and show to the border control guy... just to be extra safe (this will take you two minutes and will reduce the risk of you getting an arrival stamp from 1% to 0.01%).

The international transfer process in China improved considerably over the past two years in that air side transits are increasingly possible and even common. Having said that, depending on what airlines you're flying, there's a decent chance that you will need to claim your bags in PVG and check in again with your second airline.

4 hours is (much) more than enough time to accomplish the above. In fact, I would probably leave the secure part of the airport anyway just to get some fresh air... maybe even ride the Maglev.

You honestly don't have much to worry about at all.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:48 am

follow up.

Originally Posted by moondog
Try to get a multiple entry visa, if possible, just to eliminate the (extremely small) chance of having an entry wasted in Shanghai on your outbound. If it's too late for that, I suggest you find an image of the transfer stamp on google to print out and show to the border control guy... just to be extra safe (this will take you two minutes and will reduce the risk of you getting an arrival stamp from 1% to 0.01%).

The international transfer process in China improved considerably over the past two years in that air side transits are increasingly possible and even common. Having said that, depending on what airlines you're flying, there's a decent chance that you will need to claim your bags in PVG and check in again with your second airline.

4 hours is (much) more than enough time to accomplish the above. In fact, I would probably leave the secure part of the airport anyway just to get some fresh air... maybe even ride the Maglev.

You honestly don't have much to worry about at all.
So basically, there's 2 different stamps, the ARRIVAL STAMP (which is not what I want) and the TRANSFER/TRANSIT STAMP which is what I want?

In other words, my passport will be stamped but only a matter of which stamp they use. Also that means I will be going through immigration despite arriving (Air Canada) and leaving (Singapore Airlines) Shanghai, both out of terminal 2?

I've been reading a lot on this post, and come to the following conclusion. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I probably will end up in the ARRIVAL TERMINAL 2 and have to make my way to DEPARTURE TERMINAL 2. And in doing so, I will be following a sign that says INTERNATIONAL TRANSIT, and then all of a sudden, it will lead me through IMMIGRATION line. It's one big line no matter if you're transferring or entering China as a stop. So far am I correct? And then, I read about having to fill up an arrival form. Does everyone fill up the arrival form or just people who are actually entering China as a stop?

Baggage - AirCanada tells me bags will be sent all the way to Singapore. Now, reading the posts on this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Do I need to collect my bags and recheck them?

Thanks.

Last edited by lisalovlee33; Feb 9, 2011 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lisalovlee33
So basically, there's 2 different stamps, the ARRIVAL STAMP (which is not what I want) and the TRANSFER/TRANSIT STAMP which is what I want?

In other words, my passport will be stamped but only a matter of which stamp they use. Also that means I will be going through immigration despite arriving (Air Canada) and leaving (Singapore Airlines) Shanghai, both out of terminal 2?

I've been reading a lot on this post, and come to the following conclusion. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I probably will end up in the ARRIVAL TERMINAL 2 and have to make my way to DEPARTURE TERMINAL 2. And in doing so, I will be following a sign that says INTERNATIONAL TRANSIT, and then all of a sudden, it will lead me through IMMIGRATION line. It's one big line no matter if you're transferring or entering China as a stop. So far am I correct? And then, I read about having to fill up an arrival form. Does everyone fill up the arrival form or just people who are actually entering China as a stop?

Baggage - AirCanada tells me bags will be sent all the way to Singapore. Now, reading the posts on this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Do I need to collect my bags and recheck them?

Thanks.
"Immigration" doesn't really exist in China, but this is basically a semantic point. Apart from that, you seem to have a decent grasp on the situation at hand. Regardless of what AC tells you, be prepared to: 1) get a stamp or two during your transit; and 2) collect your bags and recheck them.

There's no need for second thoughts; it will work out in the end.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:55 am

what you want to do is visa free transit - as outlined here:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

the immigration officers often have to ask their supervisors, as they are unsure about this so make sure they do not use one of the visa entries...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA UA DL
Killing Transit Time at PVG - Ride Maglev?

I am arriving Shanghai from Chicago at 2:00 p.m. and have a 5 1/2 hour layover until a 7:30 p.m. flight to Taipei. I figure that by the time I get through passport control, collect my bag, go over to T-1 and recheck in for the Taipei flight, I'll have about 4 hours to kill. Does it make any sense to take a ride on the Maglev, just for the experience? I know it doesn't go all the way in to the city center, which is fine since I've been to Shanghai a couple times (but never rode the train). Is there anything to see at the other end, or would I just hop off and get on the next train back to the airport? I speak and read no Chinese. Is it too much of a hassle and should I just stay in the airport altogether? I'd appreciate thoughts from those who have done it. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by ls321
Is it too much of a hassle and should I just stay in the airport altogether? I'd appreciate thoughts from those who have done it. Thanks.
A few years ago at a PVG DO, a few of us got on the Maglev and rode it out to the airport just for the experience. It was worth it in my opinion, and I'd do it again if I had the chance.
The speed of the thing is simply amazing!!

You'll have plenty of time, I wouldn't worry on it at all!!

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. In your opinion, is there anything worth seeing in the vicinity of where the train stops, or is it best to just hop on the next train back to the airport?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta ,
I did the same thing a few years ago.
You used get a discount if you have a plane ticket from that day.Not much to see in that area. good way kill a couple of hours.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ls321
Thanks for the reply. In your opinion, is there anything worth seeing in the vicinity of where the train stops, or is it best to just hop on the next train back to the airport?
There's the Maglev Museum (which is no bigger than a largish McDonald's), but as of a few years ago, not much else (one would think the presence of the train station would lead to development in the area; I don't think this has happened yet). With a layover that long, why not simply head to Lujiazui (aquarium, Suntory, Paulaner, Hooters, Element Fresh, that enormous mall, etc)?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
Nothing near maglev station. Even if you ride it there and back, what are you going to do with the rest of your 3.5 hours?

Shanghai Science and Tech museum is about two subway stops away from the maglev. I've never been, but it could be interesting. Otherwise you're in eastern Pudong which is considered by some to be Shanghai's suburban hell.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by medic-again
Otherwise you're in eastern Pudong which is considered by some to be Shanghai's suburban hell.
"Western Pudong" would be more accurate (the station is less than 2 miles from the river), but IMO it's best not to enter those waters at all (think "southern North Carolina" or "east West Hollywood").
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:43 am

Well, I get that message loud and clear. Maybe I'll just go a bit further to Lujiazui or to the Science and Tech Museum. I was hoping to expend minimum energy, since on my body clock this layover will be from 1:00 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. after a very long flight. But transfering to the subway line and venturing a bit further afield makes sense if there's nothing to see around the Maglev station. Thanks -- I really appreciate the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.