Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
~ Ą95 per drink

Considering the circumstances, I'd consider that fairly reasonable pricing.

Just stay away from the rather mediocre and overpriced food offerings apart from the bar snacks that I personally find quite ok.

Anyway, the locals with money are far away in Xujiahui and the Pudong stockbrokers also head elsewhere so you are comfortably surrounded by other visitors who are equally at loss trying to determine the essence of Shanghai.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mosburger
Considering the circumstances, I'd consider that fairly reasonable pricing.

Just stay away from the rather mediocre and overpriced food offerings apart from the bar snacks that I personally find quite ok (not that anyone hates them; it's more like "why put the effort into crossing the river in order to visit a sterile hotel lounge?").

Anyway, the locals with money are far away in Xujiahui and the Pudong stockbrokers also head elsewhere so you are comfortably surrounded by other visitors who are equally at loss trying to determine the essence of Shanghai.
I have yet to meet a "local" who dislikes Flair, but opinions about the Hyatt bars are a bit more mixed
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:11 pm

We just connected Hkg-pvg-DFW KA to AA. What should have been a 10-15 min process took over an hour. What a pain in the rear!

When we got off plane 3 parties total were told to wait with KA rep - (but we had to wait for all 3 groups to disembark before leaving)

After waiting 5 min for everyone to disembark they proceeded to just tell us to walk about 100 ft to the transfer desk (passport check)

Agent checked in each group but told everyone they had to wait so group could go together - (this delayed the first party 15 min ) After completion all that happened was a security guard unlocked a door for us to pass to security (apparently he didn't want to have to unlock 3 times?) (Passport check)

We then had to queue in a long security line where passports were checked/scanned and security

Boarding - they checked passports and scanned boarding passes but were pulling some people aside (appeared to be everyone on US passports) saying to wait for security to check our passports. Literally 30 seconds after security checked our passports the AA agent walked back over and wanted to see our passports before giving us back our boarding passes. We then rounded a corner and went through another security bag check (where they took my water)

Overall it was Very irritating and our passports were checked at least 5 times and I won't be connecting through PVG again anytime soon. Is this typical protocol? (Btw our flight from HKG was delayed 2 hrs, fortunately our leg to DFW was also delayed 1.5 hrs)

Last edited by nic3456; Mar 27, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:07 pm

nic3456,

So you did not enter the country and then exit--I am just assuming this by when you said that you a security guard opened a door and you went to security.

Thank you
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:42 am

Conflicting information on transit?

I've read different information on how transit to a international connections work. I'm going LAX-PVG-BKK. China eastern is from LAX to PVG and Shanghai Airlines (wholly owned subsidiary of China eastern) is the final leg to BKK. I have 3 hours layover. Will I need to claim my bag, clear immigration and customs, check my bag, and clear security to get to my gate to BKK? Or is it easier ? Any insight on how this works appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:44 pm

Doing a transfer at PVG might be enough for 2 hours. Reason why is because PVG is prone to having delays. Then again, PVG is China Eastern's main airport thus there might be no delays.

I don't believe you will need to claim check-in baggage due to the short time span of the transfer. Your luggage should automatically be transferred from your JFK flight to BKK flight. If your flight was a layover, then China Eastern will tell you to claim your check-in luggage at the carousel.

IF you're planning to leave the airport and check into immigration and customs again, you will need to get to the airport easily 2.5 hours before your flight. I caught my flight out of PVG a few weeks ago and there were lots of passengers on the edge of missing their flight. Luckily customs and immigration were very understanding of the situation for these passengers.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by deltajfkt2
nic3456,

So you did not enter the country and then exit--I am just assuming this by when you said that you a security guard opened a door and you went to security.

Thank you
To my knowledge I didn't - We walked off the plane and didn't leave any secure areas just to transfer desk that was like 2 gates down.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I have yet another question about a PVG transit.
I'm traveling FRA-PVG-ICN late august. A bit of bad planning forces me to go through Shanghai, as FRA-PVG is already booked on a non-refundable ticket.
I'm coming with the LH728 scheduled to land at 9:55am. Looking at flights PVG-ICN with Asiana, the options are departure at 1.00pm or 4.20pm.

I'm wondering if 3 hours will be enough to catch the 1.00pm one, or is it too much of a gamble?

LH and OZ are both at T2. The flights will be on separate tickets. I will do the TWOV. I assume I will have to collect luggage and re-check my bag (although Lufthansa CS tells me they have interlining agreement with Asiana, but probably doesn't matter at PVG..?). Asiana offers online check-in 48h before departure so I should be able to have a boarding pass with me, if it matters.

I know I can always go with the safe option of the 6h+ layover, but if I'm really likely to make it in three then I'd obviously prefer it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
NH to NZ, same ticket - airside transfer possible?
Yay or nay?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:38 am

I wouldnt do a 3hrs connection on different tickets ANYWHERE...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beatroot
Hey everyone,

I have yet another question about a PVG transit.
I'm traveling FRA-PVG-ICN late august. A bit of bad planning forces me to go through Shanghai, as FRA-PVG is already booked on a non-refundable ticket.
I'm coming with the LH728 scheduled to land at 9:55am. Looking at flights PVG-ICN with Asiana, the options are departure at 1.00pm or 4.20pm.

I'm wondering if 3 hours will be enough to catch the 1.00pm one, or is it too much of a gamble?

LH and OZ are both at T2. The flights will be on separate tickets. I will do the TWOV. I assume I will have to collect luggage and re-check my bag (although Lufthansa CS tells me they have interlining agreement with Asiana, but probably doesn't matter at PVG..?). Asiana offers online check-in 48h before departure so I should be able to have a boarding pass with me, if it matters.

I know I can always go with the safe option of the 6h+ layover, but if I'm really likely to make it in three then I'd obviously prefer it.

Thanks in advance!
You'll be fine. The LH flight will arrive on time and the worst case scenario would be a 1 hour wait at immigration/customs. That gives you 2 hours to check into your ICN flight. I'd definitely be comfortable with this and would prefer it over waiting 6 hours in PVG. I can't think of much worse than that option...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:04 pm

I have a 2-2.5 hour transfer window in PVG coming from Country A to China (PVG) to Country B on China Eastern all the way through. Is it safe to assume I can remain airside and not go through customs? Is a same airline (MU) international itinerary quick and easy at the transfer desk? How many minutes will the airside check take at 10pm on a Tuesday? Would checked baggage be sent through without making me pick it up and go through customs, or should I definitely avoid checked bags? Would the gates be very close? Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Jul 28, 2016 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:50 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I wouldn't do a 3 hrs connection on different tickets ANYWHERE...
That's up to you, in US I feel comfortable making a shorter connection, especially with same airline. China, OTOH, well I've posted my PVG experience in the China forum before ....
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That's up to you, in US I feel comfortable making a shorter connection, especially with same airline. China, OTOH, well I've posted my PVG experience in the China forum before ....
The US airlines have mostly flat tire rules. Also we talk different airlines here on int-int. You can hardly compare two totally different scenarios like that..
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
You'll be fine. The LH flight will arrive on time and the worst case scenario would be a 1 hour wait at immigration/customs. That gives you 2 hours to check into your ICN flight. I'd definitely be comfortable with this and would prefer it over waiting 6 hours in PVG. I can't think of much worse than that option...
I'd book a room at one of the two terminal hotels as well as the 4:20 pm departure and use the 6+ hours for a nap, shower and change of clothes.

ICN is far away from Seoul and I'd rather do the schlep to my accommodation there somewhat rested and feeling more or less fresh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.