Wiki Posts
Search

Google (mail/calendar) in China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

As a frequent traveller to China I have seen overtime the degradation of access but for a while it was just use google HK and gmail/calendar was fine

on my recent trip I only had on and off gmail access, no ability to download files very rare calendar access and no search capability (used Bing...)

I even went to Shangrila hotel where I used to get full access (incl FB!) no go anymore

What do people do? it is time to (finally) use a VPN? recommendations?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:51 am

There are some who swear by using the local options but that's not for me so I use VPN for regular Internet usage (google sites, FB, "censored" news sites etc). I'm using both StrongVPN and 12vpn which are pretty much OK in my experience.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, google doesn't work anymore in shanghai at least. I've switched to bing as my search engine. To access gmail and google docs the easiest way is to spring for a VPN, at least until they start blocking those.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Both in Shanghai and Wenzhou, my google did not work very well last week but my google calendar worked fine.

I find that it really is a crap shoot, some areas are OK one day and not OK the next.

When I have trouble, I usually use Witopia VPN. Search this forum, you will see various VPN suggestions.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:25 am

Google still works but it is spotty. VPN is the best way to go in any case.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time I was in Shanghai (Nov 2013) gmail worked fine although laggy. Google has not worked in the internet cafes for some time now but it *DID* work when used on someone's personal computer. Bing was also out in the cafe but Yahoo still worked. Google and Bing make all search results link to Baidu instead--which is all but useless for an English speaker.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:33 am

I use Killwall VPN. The website is in Chinese only, but the price is only 100rmb per year. Much cheaper than others.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bridgeair
I use Killwall VPN. The website is in Chinese only, but the price is only 100rmb per year. Much cheaper than others.
Can you give us any performance related stats? Do their servers ever get slammed with traffic? The 100/year price sounds nice but if it's no better than free services performance wise I'll continue to pay 5x that.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Google and Bing make all search results link to Baidu instead--which is all but useless for an English speaker.
Google wouldn't run on my iPhone and Bing does yield results but they're so bad. Used to be that Google searches led one to the HK site. Baidu's only good to search for Chinese searches.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roverkt
Google wouldn't run on my iPhone and Bing does yield results but they're so bad. Used to be that Google searches led one to the HK site. Baidu's only good to search for Chinese searches.
Baidu is terrible. Scams can easily appear at the top of search results as long as they pay Baidu enough money.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:33 pm

Can some one suggest some good free VPNs, I am visiting China for 10 days starting this friday and will be traveling almost everyday. Do not want to be stuck without my emails atleast.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Google Drive, Gmail, and Google didn't work for me last month.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I am in China right now and gmail has stopped working .. or works at an insanely snail speed. You are better off getting a VPN connection. I am using one now, and its pretty simple.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, HH Dia
FYI Gmail via IMAP works no problem (and has never been blocked AFAIK), if you don't need the web interface. Various Google Calendar syncing apps are also not blocked so you can continue to use your Google Calendar with things like Outlook or your phone.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Google drive, and other file sharing sites (dropbox), haven't worked for some time AFAIK. GMail problems are a newer beast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.