Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

CNN: Hundreds of flights canceled at China airports, more to come [as of July 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN: Hundreds of flights canceled at China airports, more to come [as of July 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Watch out if you have travel in eastern China over the next few days?

From CNN:
Hundreds of flights to and from eastern China were canceled or delayed Monday and state media warned that more disruptions should be expected in the next few weeks.
Also according to the article, the following message was shared by CCTV on Weibo:
"The following 12 airports will experience massive delays for 26 days! Fliers, bring snacks and water!"
"From July 20 to August 15, operations of these airports -- including Shanghai Hongqiao, Shanghai Pudong, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Hefei, Jinan, Wuxi, Ningbo, Qingdao, Lianyungang, Zhengzhou and Wuhan -- will be affected by high-frequency exercises conducted by another party. All airlines are requested to reduce flights by 25% and fliers are expected to face delays."
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/22/tr...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Yes I got a similar alert today from International SOS, although they stated that the reason was unclear. More than 300 flights canceled today alone out of SHA and PVG apparently..
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:21 am

super typhoon?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

military exercises are rumored to be the reason.
a typhoon wouldn't disrupt flights over a span of 26 days.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:40 am

Another reason to take the train rather than fly.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold (ex-US)
Reminds me of last year when my business return on air china was delayed then canceled (PVG-PEK-FRA) when China closed closed its air space (2013/6/11). Coincidentally, there was a space launch that night, but our pilot (an Aussie I think) told us that air traffic control told him it was "weather-related". He clearly wasn't buying it.

The Shanghai hotel was 3-star and we had to double up for a short night (arrived hotel about 1 am, 6 am departure for airport), but because of the J class they put me in a very nice (if shoddily put together) hotel off the Beijing airport for my 12-hour or so layover, buffet lunch included.Other than the Shanghai hotel, and CA canceling my continuation back to the US on LOT, it was a very good experience on-board CA J class (including the now-discontinued pajamas). Granted, those are pretty big 'ifs'.

This sounds like more of a … huge mess. CA did not impress with the overall handling of irrops (info, de-planing, baggage, people management), and my limited experience on other Chinese carriers doesn't fill me with optimism either!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JPDM
Another reason to take the train rather than fly.
Speaking of which, the BJ-SH HSR was suspended between 10.20 and 13.20 due to "equipment failure", according to news report on Weibo.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Yes, my China Eastern flights to and from PVG to SGN have been canceled. So I have to cancel my trip.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Yes, my China Eastern flights to and from PVG to SGN have been canceled. So I have to cancel my trip.
Isn't that flight via kmg? If so I can't imagine that military exercises in the east played a significant role in the cancellation.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by moondog
Isn't that flight via kmg? If so I can't imagine that military exercises in the east played a significant role in the cancellation.
No, it's direct China Eastern PVG - SGN
I don't know if it's related to the exercises. At first I thought it was just a reduction in service frequency owing to China-Vietnam tensions, but seeing this latest news made me wonder. Also, I was rebooked the next day and then that was cancelled too.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
My Monday morning flight SHA-PEK on CA was delayed 3.15 but we did go. Unlike the years gone by they did not load plane and go park it somewhere and make us wait on board. We got to wait in the airport!

In the CA lounge the agent said it was ATC delays which were expected for 1.5-2.0 hours and only affecting flights headed north and west. Southbound flights were leaving on time. We all knew what that meant.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
According to TBV News (HKG) feed - due to upcoming month-long full scale PLA drills & exercises, up to 25% of air traffic in 12 of mainland airports within the broader PVG regions will be disrupted/affected/cancelled, etc. for the next 30+ days. The notices/alerts apparently issued by CN's civil aviation authorities to all carriers, as the "takeover" authority is coming from the military command. Source - check with your airline(s) and flight status for changes - expect reductions in # of flights due to cancellations.

Pleasant travel and have patience, or as suggested - consider alternate mode of transport, i.e. HST between cities, as flights from other airports connecting thru these airports will be affected as well.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The paradox of China; so modern and so backwards at the same time.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:00 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Apple Daily quoted Beijing PSB Weibo "high-frequency exercises of another user" http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...40722/52717498. We presume that's code for military exercises.

20 HKG-PVG flights delayed <100 minutes on Monday 21 July, though nothing yesterday and today.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The paradox of China; so modern and so backwards at the same time.
+1 to this... One of the many self-contradictions I've observed across various aspects of Chinese life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.