Reload this Page >

LINE app blocked in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LINE app blocked in China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:21 pm

Seriously? Are you working for the us Propaganda department? What a lot of nonsense to anyone using their brain..
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
As a user of both, Line is a far superior app to Wechat. Besides the sticker fun, Line offers its own camera app to customize photos and has public events throughout Taiwan, Japan, and other SE Asian countries.
Are you a 15 year-old girl?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
As a user of both, Line is a far superior app to Wechat. Besides the sticker fun, Line offers its own camera app to customize photos and has public events throughout Taiwan, Japan, and other SE Asian countries.
I suppose that was taken in jest, but a lot of guys I know in Japan also use stickers in their LINE messages. Think emoticons/smilies taken to a different level. And "sticker fun" does seem to be one of things LINE has found success in.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/06/1...-own-stickers/

For what it's worth, I don't focus on using one app only; if my friends overseas are all using a certain app, then I'd be using that app too to be in touch with them. No way I'd be able to convince all of them to use weibo or wechat instead just to accomodate me and the GFW, haha.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Hmm, that means I wouldn't be able to message my Japanese friends when in China.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That's a rather unfriendly comment....just because you don't like or use the feature doesn't mean millions of other people don't have fun with it. A lot of the stickers are fun ways to send a sentence, thought or feeling to someone without having to type everything out.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:18 pm

That's a rather unfriendly comment....just because you don't like or use the feature doesn't mean millions of other people don't have fun with it. A lot of the stickers are fun ways to send a sentence, thought or feeling to someone without having to type everything out.
Wx also has thousands of stickers, but it's possible to survive without them.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by KIXman
I suppose that was taken in jest, but a lot of guys I know in Japan also use stickers in their LINE messages. Think emoticons/smilies taken to a different level. And "sticker fun" does seem to be one of things LINE has found success in.

For what it's worth, I don't focus on using one app only; if my friends overseas are all using a certain app, then I'd be using that app too to be in touch with them. No way I'd be able to convince all of them to use weibo or wechat instead just to accommodate me and the GFW, haha.
This is just it exactly.

I use both, now that I have just moved from China to Japan, I am using LINE more than WeChat. In fact, I have reconnected with most of my Taiwanese friends via LINE.

However WeChat is still the primary way I keep in touch with the mainland.

Personally, I prefer WeChat's interface but I do find that moments are becoming a tad commercial.

Since I can't read Japanese, I find LINE's interface a tad cumbersome at times.

In the end, it is about communication. I can't force anybody to use either and it's not an either or situation. I just have to use both.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Truth be told, you need a VPN on both your phone and laptop before departing for ***** China to have any reasonable semblance of normal online activity, besides keeping the government from constantly monitoring everything you do.
Just so you are aware, a commercial VPN allows you to access the internet from a remote location like SFO bypassing the blocks put in by the great fire wall. It does not limit anyone's ability to monitor your communication and your communication is reportedly still passing through their filters for certain keywords. Nothing is blocked, but all "identified" traffic is still recorded.

Last edited by uanj; Jul 6, 2014 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:00 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/...-and-ios-55306

Wx also has thousands of stickers, but it's possible to survive without them.
Line selfie sticker app.
can make it disappear in 5 seconds like snapchat. Brilliant.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:14 pm

I experienced the same trouble last week. It's a good thing I have a back up which is WeChat. China's been blocking almost all the popular sites around.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uanj
Just so you are aware, a commercial VPN allows you to access the internet from a remote location like SFO bypassing the blocks put in by the great fire wall. It does not limit anyone's ability to monitor your communication and your communication is reportedly still passing through their filters for certain keywords. Nothing is blocked, but all "identified" traffic is still recorded.
It would depend on the level of encryption - some of the VPNs designed specifically to bypass China's firewall restrictions include encryption of the data between your device and their ex-China endpoint.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Ah, they just unblocked google in BJ... maybe due to the S&ED... , but can only get it on my tablet devices, not on any of my computers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:13 am
Original Poster

LINE seems to be back to normal, yay!

Also, China seems to have admitted to blocking it and KakaoTalk for Some Reason That Must Not Be Named:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...kaotalk-line-0
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I started using QQ because it's the only way to keep in touch with my Chinese friends. I tried wx and I got way too much spam in it.

QQ is fairly simple and easy to use - the voice quality is fairly good too. I use it for voice with Mr. Nacho.

I have viber and line because I hate Skype - personally I hate the sticker thing. I prefer my usual smiley but it's not available in Line/Viber.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I started using QQ because it's the only way to keep in touch with my Chinese friends. I tried wx and I got way too much spam in it.

QQ is fairly simple and easy to use - the voice quality is fairly good too. I use it for voice with Mr. Nacho.

I have viber and line because I hate Skype - personally I hate the sticker thing. I prefer my usual smiley but it's not available in Line/Viber.
I use QQ too to chat with Chinese colleagues, but Tencent has not given QQ a great deal of love since Wechat took off. In fact, I'd be surprised if they continue to support both products indefinitely.

Insofar as Wechat spam is concerned, I've got things mostly in order now. I turned off mass messages on most service accounts, though there are a few exceptions; some companies send out interesting content. Anytime I see someone advertising purses or watches in moments, I either block them or at least set their moments to ignore. Finally, I try to refrain from participating in massive group chats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.