Wiki Posts
Search

Chengdu Airport Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Chengdu Airport Hotel

Looking at flying CTU - LHR early next month as they have good UUA availability compared to PEK which has completely bugger all EVER, let alone at this short notice.

There are a couple of options;

PEK - CTU previous night and hotel
PEK - CTU morning of the flight - First 2 flights arrive 9.20 and 9.50am. LHR leaves 12.15pm.

I would definitely be on pins taking the morning connection so has anyone stayed at the CTU Airport Hotel? Is it ay good?

I know it is just a short layover but I am a bit of a weirdo hotel snob!

Another option would be to get the last flight from PEK which arrives at CTU 1.00am. From the comfort of my sofa I can state I would be quite happy to doss landside with a book and a few cold ones until check in opens, however deep down I am hoping someone will talk me out of it.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
I don't have any experience with the airport hotel, but here's a thought: Since CTU-LHR leaves at around noon, wouldn't it be just as well going into town and get a proper hotel (and breakfast) somewhere downtown before departing? There seems to be plenty of time if you arrive the evening before.

Last edited by zehbra; Jun 25, 2014 at 11:14 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zehbra
I don't have any experience with the airport hotel, but here's a thought: Since CTU-LHR leaves at around noon, wouldn't it be just as well going into town and get a proper hotel (and breakfast) somewhere downtown before departing? There seems to be plenty of time if you arrive the evening before.
That is my suggestion as well - you even could enjoy some Sichuan hotpot or other tasty cooking.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: various
I would definitely get to Chengdu the evening before. And I would agree with posters above to stay in the city not the airport. There are plenty of places between the airport and the center of city, in the southwest quadrant of Chengdu, which would strike a balance between quick airport access and an interesting and comfortable hotel location.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:50 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jiejie
I would definitely get to Chengdu the evening before. And I would agree with posters above to stay in the city not the airport. There are plenty of places between the airport and the center of city, in the southwest quadrant of Chengdu, which would strike a balance between quick airport access and an interesting and comfortable hotel location.
IIRC, the airport isn't terribly far - by kms. or by minutes - from much of the city. As far as mainland cities go, Chengdu seems rather compact.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:15 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by drewguy
- you even could enjoy some Sichuan hotpot
^
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and am going to take it I think. I cant seem to get any maps to load but the kempinski seems to have some good prices.

States it's about 13k from the airport, is it on the other side of town? Obviously the night will be no prob for traffic, poss problems on a friday mid morning?

Also Chengdu taxi drivers hao/buhao? If I have the adress in Mandarin for somewhere like the Kempinski are they generally going to know it?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Thanks for the advice and am going to take it I think. I cant seem to get any maps to load but the kempinski seems to have some good prices.

States it's about 13k from the airport, is it on the other side of town? Obviously the night will be no prob for traffic, poss problems on a friday mid morning?

Also Chengdu taxi drivers hao/buhao? If I have the adress in Mandarin for somewhere like the Kempinski are they generally going to know it?
13 km will barely get you off airport property in pek or sha
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: various
Chengdu as Chinese cities go does have a relatively convenient airport, but you still don't want to fight traffic from the other side of town. The Kempinski is a good location for shorter trip in the evening to get there, and airport access and minimizing traffic issues the next day. Taxi drivers at the airport will know it, just have name/address in Chinese. It's in a pretty prominent location.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Kempinski is near the exit of the Airport Expressway and the South Station. Plenty of other local chain hotels too. 13km on the expressway is a short, quick and cheap ride by Chinese standard.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Just to update this - Kempinski was as advertised by you good folks a short hop on the expressway with no traffic on the way back in the morning. Trip took about 20-25 mins.

Also a hint to anyone flying into CTU - The taxi rank is located quite away at the other end of the terminal from arrivals (or so it seemed) and the signs weren't that clear (or so it seemed). I almost jumped in a black cab and only came to my senses when some woman started asking me to follow her back into the terminal. Tut Tut me, schoolboy error!

Quite literally hundreds of legit taxis waiting at the airport, even at 1am.

Mini report on the CTU - LHR experience here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post23204013
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ive done this many times and it is a worthy option. But, if you've been there done that, anyone have a decent recommendation for an airport hotel with shuttle? I usually stay at Renaissance, which is about $15-20 each way...just enough to annoy me into rather staying at something near the airport with a shuttle. Anyone done the HI Express Airport Zone?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: http://www.chengdutravelagency.com
Through the airport parking lot,There are many hotels on the opposite side of the airport.100yuan/120yuan/150yuan/180yuan/200yuan/night.
You walk about 5~10 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sichuanguide
Through the airport parking lot,There are many hotels on the opposite side of the airport.100yuan/120yuan/150yuan/180yuan/200yuan/night.
You walk about 5~10 minutes.
Thank you, but are any from an American brand?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: http://www.chengdutravelagency.com
No, there is no hotel of this brand.
But,there are Home Inn, 7 Days Inn, Ruijing Hotel, Chuangguang hotel,,,,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.