Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this doable? good idea??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Is this doable? good idea??

I'm considering a trip in November - LAX to Kathmandu via Guangzhou (China Southern). The only problem is that on the way there I have a 13.5 hr layover, arriving in the morning at 7am and on the way back a 15 hr layover arriving again at 8am.

On my way to KTM I wanted to go into Guangzhou and explore it, I heard it is a 72 hr visa free zone. I am a US citizen. The city center is just over an hour away so i'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem.

On my way back I plan to take a train from Guangzhou to Shenzen and spend the day in Shenzen.

Do you think both these excursions are doable without any problems?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread as I move it to the FT China Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by k374
I'm considering a trip in November - LAX to Kathmandu via Guangzhou (China Southern). The only problem is that on the way there I have a 13.5 hr layover, arriving in the morning at 7am and on the way back a 15 hr layover arriving again at 8am.

On my way to KTM I wanted to go into Guangzhou and explore it, I heard it is a 72 hr visa free zone. I am a US citizen. The city center is just over an hour away so i'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem.

On my way back I plan to take a train from Guangzhou to Shenzen and spend the day in Shenzen.

Do you think both these excursions are doable without any problems?
Should be no problem about the visiting Guangzhou part on the way to Kathmandu. You can get early morning dimsum, see a few sights and then head back to the airport for your trip to Kathmandu.

I'm not too familiar with Shenzhen, but I'd say it would be at least 2-1/2 hours one way from Guangzhou airport including ticket purchase, waiting time and transfer time, which gives you about 9 hours to visit any sights in the area.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
<deleted>

Last edited by drewguy; Jun 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm Reason: speculative statement could lead to misinformation
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drewguy
Check the transit without visa thread, but I believe that the TWOV for Guangzhou technically restricts you to staying in Guangzhou. That thread should have an assessment of the risks of not adhering to that requirement.
Nope. You can go anywhere in guangdong during can twov stays.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:25 pm

You are not limited to Guangzhou, post #4 is wrong but you don't have much time in any case.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Personally I would skip Shenzhen.

There is more than enough places near Guangzhou to occupy your short time.

Guangzhou is so geographically huge that you will spend a majority of your time commuting from one place and back to the airport.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

My layover on the way back is actually 15 hrs 45 min. Is there nothing in Shenzhen worth seeing?

I was actually thinking of taking a cab from the airport to the bullet train station and then taking a 50 minute bullet train ride into Shenzhen. I have traveled in China by bullet train quite a bit before so I am familiar with the system.

I am thinking it should be around 2 hours to get into Shenzhen from the airport. Alternatively there is a direct bus from the airport to downtown Shenzhen that takes 3 hours.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:12 pm

My layover on the way back is actually 15 hrs 45 min. Is there nothing in Shenzhen worth seeing?

I was actually thinking of taking a cab from the airport to the bullet train station and then taking a 50 minute bullet train ride into Shenzhen. I have traveled in China by bullet train quite a bit before so I am familiar with the system.

I am thinking it should be around 2 hours to get into Shenzhen from the airport. Alternatively there is a direct bus
from the airport to downtown Shenzhen that takes 3 hours.
I'm in Shenzhen at this very moment, and I happen to like it a lot (it's a great place to decompress from crazy work weeks in hk).

That having been said I'll readily admit that it's tourist attraction value is non existent.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:56 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
I'll readily admit that it's tourist attraction value is non existent.
^
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:21 pm

How about these?
http://wikitravel.org/en/Shenzhen#See
Haven’t been to any of them though so I can't make recommendations.

I am thinking it should be around 2 hours to get into Shenzhen from the airport. Alternatively there is a direct bus from the airport to downtown Shenzhen that takes 3 hours.
I think 2 hours to Shenzhen is a bit optimistic.

The bullet train that goes to Shenzhen in 50min would depart from Dongguan I think, which is about 1-1/2hrs away from the airport by taxi. If you take the train from GZ East, to Shenzhen it would be about 1hr20min, and taxi from/to the airport to GZ East would be around 30min to 1hr depending on time of day. This doesn't count in time needed to line up for taxi and ticket purchase, waiting time for train etc.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

If I had a full day in Guangzhou, I would definitely explore it. Don't go to Shenzhen. There is more than enough to see in Guangzhou for a single day. Plus, in November it's the best weather. Still mild, but not hot.

Enjoy it! GZ is a great city to explore
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd do a three day TWOV in CAN in both directions and deliberately pick hotels in different parts of the city for the two "stopovers".
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:05 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Shenzhen has a few campy tourist attractions - Splendid China, Windows of the World (mini-replicas of various monuments) and the Minsk aircraft carrier - but these exist more to cater to mainland visitors.

While living in Shenzhen, my inner New Yorker compelled me to explore numerous neighborhoods throughout every district. If you're willing to dig deep, you can check out a slice of Hong Kong history in Nantou, visit Xichong beach in the extreme east of the city or amble through one of the many parks, often while encountering an impromptu dance or workout session. If you're in town now, try to get some lychees too.

However, by far my favorite activity in Shenzhen is eating regional Chinese food. Whereas Guangzhou has more standard issue attractions and is a hub of Cantonese cooking, Shenzhen I feel surpasses Guangzhou in terms of availability and quality of regional mainland dishes.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

actually I will not be staying in any hotels... in both instances my flight arrives very early morning (6ish am) and departs around 9pm.

If I skip Shenzhen on the way back is there enough in Guanzhou itself to spend a 2nd day there? Or is there anything nearby that is more interesting?

CNN seems to think Shenzhen is one of the most underrated of cities:

http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/10-t...henzhen-307456

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.