Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gwaipor
I am tempted to just sleep overnight on the seats, if not I'l play by ear to check out the hotel.

Question: I arrive 20:55 and have to check out bags etc
Is it possible I check in my next day's bags before the BA desk closes? like a super early check in service
check-n for the BA flight will open around 3 hours before departure. The desks won't be staffed all day.

The hotel is about USD50 a night but I'm not sure if those rates are for bookings in advance, or whether you can also get those rates walk-up (they seem to have some more expensive flexible rates for double that).
Old May 5, 2015, 7:41 am

So I've decided to go through immigration, Sleep somewhere near T2, and check back in to BA before my flight at 0730.

Question is whether the lounge 69 has showers that I can grab one at 0600 when it opens
Old May 5, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I've decided to go through immigration, Sleep somewhere near T2, and check back in to BA before my flight at 0730.

Question is whether the lounge 69 has showers that I can grab one at 0600 when it opens
I don't recall there being showers, and a quick google search hasn't turned up any reports indicating there are showers.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We've already told you that your sleeping in the airport plan is a really miserable ides, but given your persistence, I feel compelled to state such again. We're only talking about $50 to be able to score a true bed.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't recall there being showers, and a quick google search hasn't turned up any reports indicating there are showers.
I don't think a single lounge open for non-Party officials has showers at PVG.

As you and others in the know have stated, sleeping in the terminal instead of an hotel room in China is just pure self-inflicted misery.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by moondog
We've already told you that your sleeping in the airport plan is a really miserable ides, but given your persistence, I feel compelled to state such again. We're only talking about $50 to be able to score a true bed.
In an effort to not "judge" other parties travel habits, and to provide information for others to enjoy: please accept my public service announcement. YES, there are showers in the Air China Lounge. I was there last week.. Enjoy!
Old May 5, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
In an effort to not "judge" other parties travel habits, and to provide information for others to enjoy: please accept my public service announcement. YES, there are showers in the Air China Lounge. I was there last week.. Enjoy!
for some reason the last few posts have gone from the air China lounge, to oneworld lounges prior to a BA departure.... hence the no showers.

I had forgotten however that the air China lounge has showers! that's a handy reminder.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

As stated already: There are Showers in the Air China Club. However, I am unsure of your affiliation with membership for entrance. In my opinion a "Same Day Boarding Pass with Departure on a Star Alliance Carrier may be required" Please let us know how things work out. I only mention this as you referred to BA..

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 5, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having had a surprisingly good experience last year at Air China's PEK biz class lounge -- particularly with regard to the food offerings -- I was surprised at how bad the food was at their PVG lounge. Yes, the physical space now looks nice, and the buffet initially looks ample, but it's pretty darn awful food. Like finding any edible chicken in the chicken stir fry was practically a science experiment. I swear, I've seen much higher quality food in the most humble open-air hutong stand. I challenge anyone to find anything "good" to eat at this lounge. And this is what biz class passengers are supposed to want?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Having had a surprisingly good experience last year at Air China's PEK biz class lounge -- particularly with regard to the food offerings -- I was surprised at how bad the food was at their PVG lounge. Yes, the physical space now looks nice, and the buffet initially looks ample, but it's pretty darn awful food. Like finding any edible chicken in the chicken stir fry was practically a science experiment. I swear, I've seen much higher quality food in the most humble open-air hutong stand. I challenge anyone to find anything "good" to eat at this lounge. And this is what biz class passengers are supposed to want?
At least they pour a strong cocktail (downstairs bar).. I had a few cocktails intead. Did a few lounge hops and all at PVG were sub par..
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
At least they pour a strong cocktail (downstairs bar).. I had a few cocktails intead. Did a few lounge hops and all at PVG were sub par..
I sent my wife downstairs to the bar and all she could get was some whiskey. They offered it to her straight, so I guess it qualifies as a strong cocktail. Not sure if they had anything more imaginative.

I was wondering about other lounges. We didn't bother to bring our Priority Pass cards because I thought the Air China lounge would be the best option. Maybe it is, even if it isn't very good.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I sent my wife downstairs to the bar and all she could get was some whiskey. They offered it to her straight, so I guess it qualifies as a strong cocktail. Not sure if they had anything more imaginative.

I was wondering about other lounges. We didn't bother to bring our Priority Pass cards because I thought the Air China lounge would be the best option. Maybe it is, even if it isn't very good.
They all suck.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Priority Pass gets you into the HK Airlines lounge which is next door to the CX lounge in PVG. The HK Airlines lounge is the worst I have ever been into in PVG, you are fare better off in the CA lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Food offerings in CA F PVG no better than J lounge - in fact basically identical offerings - but at least alcohol is half way decent - usually if you help yourself / pour your own much better service. PVG CA lounge way better than what you can access with PP.

Whilst food offerings in PEK CA F and J are better than PVG - alcohol offerings are disgraceful - Great Wall / Dynasty wines? Give me a break.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
Whilst food offerings in PEK CA F and J are better than PVG - alcohol offerings are disgraceful - Great Wall / Dynasty wines? Give me a break.
I don't even try to drink wine in Asia. The free stuff is almost never good (although I recall it being at least drinkable in CA J, and better-than-drinkable on Cathay), and it's always overpriced to buy any. So I drink mediocre local beer and wait until I return to the States (or visit Europe, South Africa or Chile/Argentina -- also Australia, if somebody's picking up the tab).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.