Wiki Posts
Search

Correct Tip For Driver

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K - DL Million Miler - AS 100K
Correct Tip For Driver

We are hiring a car and driver for the day to take us to the Great Wall. We will have the car and driver for 10 hours.

What would be an appropriate tip for the driver at the end of the day?

Thanks

Houston Traveler
Old May 1, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
None sans the agreed upon amount.

However I have paid for the driver's lunch or bought him a drink if he was personable however no tip is technically necessary.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:47 pm

No tipping in China.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
None sans the agreed upon amount.

However I have paid for the driver's lunch or bought him a drink if he was personable however no tip is technically necessary.
I also usually buy day hire drivers lunch, but certainly don't tip.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K - DL Million Miler - AS 100K
Originally Posted by moondog
I also usually buy day hire drivers lunch, but certainly don't tip.
Thanks for the information. Seems right to pick up the driver's lunch. That's what we will do.

Houston Traveler
Old May 2, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a general rule, tips aren't expected in China.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As a general rule, tips aren't expected in China.
Already noted in post 3, and we have unanimous consensus on this point, but the lunch thing really is sop unless you get hit with an abusive price.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When our factory hires a car for the day, driver just tags along and waits in the parking lot. Smoking and playing on his Ipad.

However he is always invited for lunch.

Never had a driver join us for dinner though. He waits outside in the car. I think it has something to do with the fact, dinner quite often is an expensive elaborate affair.

We usually offer snacks and drinks we have for the drive. Rarely did they accept.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Already noted in post 3, and we have unanimous consensus on this point, but the lunch thing really is sop unless you get hit with an abusive price.
I didn't suggest that one shouldn't pay for lunch or provide bottled water, etc. for a day trip.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I have never tipped drivers (Chinese tend to find tipping insulting as it implies social superiority between customer and service provider) cash but I always toss them a packet of cigarettes.

Passing cigarettes implies friendship and mutual respect so even though they will try to refuse them, they will be well received.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
I have never tipped drivers (Chinese tend to find tipping insulting as it implies social superiority between customer and service provider) cash but I always toss them a packet of cigarettes.

Passing cigarettes implies friendship and mutual respect so even though they will try to refuse them, they will be well received.
I used to do that in Russia but then I decided I didn't want to help someone to smoke, just as I stopped bring cigarettes from duty free as gifts for European and Asian smokers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
No tipping in China, if ever there is a need there will be a service charge included/added to the bill in which you have no say.

Also the standard procedure as mentioned above is buying the driver lunch, normally we've had him eat with us as most places at the Great Wall or other out-of-town tourist spots are pretty casual.

In the case of dinner, if it is a driver who is hired for the day, then they normally wait outside in the car. If it is a driver who is going to be working long term for you or your company (depending on specific company policy) we normally give them their own table at the restaurant and they eat and wait there until dinner is finished for everyone else.

The inviting the driver to meals thing is less common nowadays though as some car services have started to prohibit their drivers from joining their customers in this manner. Some drivers will just tell you not to worry about them and they'll hang out around the car until your done.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Agree with the no tipping points.

There are cases where it's acceptable such as buying something from a street seller for more than the asking price. A little old lady was very grateful to me when I paid just 50p more than her asking price for a pair of flip-flops for my girlfriend - I guess that doesn't really constitute tipping.

I always find it hard not to tip in the restaurants (even as a Brit!) as I'm aware of their poor working and living conditions due to poor wages and long hours... life goes on and the little you can do is just be courteous and respectful. Offering water and food is absolutely fine and most Chinese will politely decline or accept if you do this discreetly.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by joe19924
Agree with the no tipping points.

There are cases where it's acceptable such as buying something from a street seller for more than the asking price. A little old lady was very grateful to me when I paid just 50p more than her asking price for a pair of flip-flops for my girlfriend - I guess that doesn't really constitute tipping.

I always find it hard not to tip in the restaurants (even as a Brit!) as I'm aware of their poor working and living conditions due to poor wages and long hours... life goes on and the little you can do is just be courteous and respectful. Offering water and food is absolutely fine and most Chinese will politely decline or accept if you do this discreetly.
On that topic, if you do offer something, it is polite for Chinese people to refuse until you insist. It can be difficult to gauge when they are really refusing and actually can't accept, or if they are just being polite though.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:34 pm

Chinese Drivers in general do not accept tips, they normally do not even accept food or Water, they carry their own tea bottle which they refill at the service stops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.