Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Order Pre-Paid SIM in Advance

Order Pre-Paid SIM in Advance

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
People who live in China or who have been there multiple times tend to forget what it's like for a first timer
To me, purchasing SIM cards isn't really a China issue, a language issue, or a first timer issue. It's more of a common sense thing because the drill is more or less the same all over the world. But, I will admit that my approach towards solving problems, particularly those related to travel, is far more intrepid than average (i.e. people like my dad derive substantial amounts of stress by pining over things that I write off as trivial). In any event, walking up to a news paper stand or 小卖部 (hard to walk 50 meters in a Chinese city without stumbling upon one... and many are open well past midnight), asking for a SIM card, handing over Y50, and popping it into a phone is a 2 minute process that I don't consider to be the least bit challenging.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 16, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
What about train stations in Shanghai? I'm thinking about going straight to visit my friend in xuzhou after landing at PVG. I'll need a sim card to be able to call them/hotel. I'm planning on either taking the bus/metro to get to the railway station. I assume those are only cash only places, right?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
What about train stations in Shanghai? I'm thinking about going straight to visit my friend in xuzhou after landing at PVG. I'll need a sim card to be able to call them/hotel. I'm planning on either taking the bus/metro to get to the railway station. I assume those are only cash only places, right?
In this case, the airport might be your best bet (the train station is big/crowded). Though, I must say that your Xuzhou upon arrival plan sounds rather trying to me.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:00 pm

Xuzhou is pretty far from Shanghai.. You can take the metro to the closest station and then take a taxi to the railway station. First ensure from which railway station your train is. But yes, take a sim from the airport itself. Cash only place yes.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Xuzhou is pretty far from Shanghai.. You can take the metro to the closest station and then take a taxi to the railway station. First ensure from which railway station your train is. But yes, take a sim from the airport itself. Cash only place yes.
While there are slow trains from Shanghai Station that stop in Xuzhou, if you want to take the Gaotie without a transfer, you need to go to Hongqiao Station (the terminus of the Jinghu Line). The #1 bus goes there from PVG (nonstop).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
While there are slow trains from Shanghai Station that stop in Xuzhou, if you want to take the Gaotie without a transfer, you need to go to Hongqiao Station (the terminus of the Jinghu Line). The #1 bus goes there from PVG (nonstop).
Yes.. Trains from Hongqiao are the best options. I have never tried the #1 bus, usually take the subway to the hongqiao station and there on. How long does the bus take?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:22 pm

Yes.. Trains from Hongqiao are the best options. I have never tried the #1 bus, usually take the subway to the hongqiao station and there on. How long does the bus take?
~45 minutes (half as long as the subway). I also usually take the subway there when I'm traveling light, but wouldn't dream of doing so from PVG.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

~45 minutes (half as long as the subway). I also usually take the subway there when I'm traveling light, but wouldn't dream of doing so from PVG.
Trying this right away on the 9th of August.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying this right away on the 9th of August.
Please report back^

We land at 10:30 in the morning, and I'm Chinese, so I should be able to get us around without problem. We are very used to travel, so there should be no problem.

I just need to qq them at pvg letting them know that we are in SH and then grab a hold of a sim at Hongqiao (G trains to Xuzhou is from Hongqiao).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:47 am

Please report back^

We land at 10:30 in the morning, and I'm Chinese, so I should be able to get us around without problem. We are very used to travel, so there should be no problem.

I just need to qq them at pvg letting them know that we are in SH and then grab a hold of a sim at Hongqiao (G trains to Xuzhou is from Hongqiao).
Sounds like a good plan.. and if you are chinese then we should be asking you questions and not the other way around.. hah
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a good plan.. and if you are chinese then we should be asking you questions and not the other way around.. hah
Yes I'm Chinese but the only Chinese city I have been to in the past 20 years is 48 hrs in Shenzhen from HK. I don't live in China so my knowledge about China or SH is probably nothing compared to moondog. That's why I'm here to learn ^
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

What's the reason for your deference to Chinese people? You should learn how to solve basic problems on your own, and also understand that the 老百姓 are not on our level with respect to tasks like hiring drivers to Mutianyu.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:10 pm

What's the reason for your deference to Chinese people? You should learn how to solve basic problems on your own, and also understand that the 老百姓 are not on our level with respect to tasks like hiring drivers to Mutianyu.
Dude.. that was in good spirits and a lighter mode..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.