Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

A weekend in Shanghai (2 days) - where / what should i be doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A weekend in Shanghai (2 days) - where / what should i be doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:34 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
any of these unusual architecture buildings allow people to enter?
"people", my experience in China is people are people.

Yes, they do allow those whose wealth they transfered to have an ethereal
experience.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:22 pm

I was thinking about the US where most office buildings require an ID from company in building to enter. Thought most of these buildings might be office buildings
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was thinking about the US where most office buildings require an ID from company in building to enter. Thought most of these buildings might be office buildings
Most? Whenever I walk into an office building in Manhattan, most of the time I just need my own ID and the office that I'm visiting.

I don't recall having to show my ID too much in China, but for a point of reference, offices in Jakarta often hold my driver's license while I borrow the building ID card.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to visit Sony, then you need some sort of invitation, but if you plan is to go Suntory (in the same building), all you require is a fist full of RMB (lunch is actually kind of reasonable).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As others have said - it all depends on your specific interests.

But Shanghai (to me at least) really is about the food, drink and hanging out.

My plan would be something like this:

stay: Astor House on the Bund (lots of history and rooms for about $100 a night)
I love staying at the Astor House. BUT, only in the "celebrity" rooms. Great history. And one time when I was staying in Marconi's room, I was quite amused that the Internet was not working.

It also has the one hotel name in SHA I remember and can pronounce well enough to get a taxi driver to take me there reliably without a hotel card.

The western breakfast is definitely sub-par, though. And don't even consider eating any other meal at the hotel restaurant!

visit: the Bund (day and night), walk through the former French Concession, or take on of the many day tours or speciality available.

eat: Din Tai Fung Dumplings; Lost Heaven on the Bund
I love both DTF and Lost Heaven. Two of my favorite restaurants!

drink: the restored Long Bar at the Waldorf Astoria, Glamour Bar (on the Bund), the Peace Hotel, and for something new Barbarossa (People's Square)
I like the Long Bar, too. But on the Bund my favorite (if the weather is nice) is Sir Elly's Terrace (outside) at the Peninsula. Amazing view of the Bund and Pudong.

ride: the Maglev (at least one way)
I'm over this now, but when I'm with someone on their first trip to Shanghai, it's a must.

If you can try and sample the above then you start to scratch the amazing history of Shanghai.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Guitarz if weather is OK and you can get to do night cruise on Huangpu River then the view of the Bund on return simply SPECTACULAR.

I assume the old jazz players stlll plying their trade in Peace Hotel - this is also a spectacle you should enjoy even if only for a short time.

All tourists want to spend a few hours on one of the fake markets - hell I have been to SHA 1,000 times but still found myself in 580 Nanjing West Rd last week as I needed a second bag to cart my crap home.

AS also mentioned Maglev a must at least once.

Accom is easy part - check Sofitel Hyland for 2 reasons - location can't be beaten and they do have good weekend deals which give Exec Lounge access - not best hotel but within your price range and you can get those extras maybe.

So many things to do - such little time.

Last edited by Cruiser Elite; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:02 am

Park Hyatt Shanghai bar at 97th floor.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:15 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by thatguy47
Park Hyatt Shanghai bar at 97th floor.
I thought Grand Hyatt bar Cloud 9 was 87 floor and Park Hyatt bar was 91 floor?
Park Hyatt 100 Century Ave is a restaurant with a bar?

Can't quiet remember. But do remember staying at Grand Hyatt, the first week it opened, Pudong was flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.