Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?

Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LapLap
The other option is to take a taxi to the hotel and do the Badaling itinerary suggested by jiejie. Only thing is that I would prefer not to take our luggage out of the airport.
IMO, in light of your aspirations and all of the various problem factors you have identified, this plan is the best.

You shouldn't have to do much luggage lifting at all because you'll be able to wheel it to the taxi queue on a cart, the driver will put it in the car for you, the hotel people will get it from the car to your room.... repeat process in reverse when you depart.

The train to Badaling also happens to be substantially more convenient/comfortable than the 916 bus (which only gets you as far as Huairou, as you know).
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta FO
BS from a diseased bull with diarrhoea.

It's because I don't believe a word of it that I just want to do what I usually would do and stay well within in my comfort zone.

I understand that my comfort zone is not considered particularly comfortable by others, I'm fine with that.

With the hotel concierge out to scare us into giving them money, the hawkers at the Great Wall looking to tempt cash from us and the taxi drivers potentially sizing us up to see what they can relieve from us without getting caught, reported or penalised, the only Chinese people we might meet during our first day who we would have genuine interactions with are the passengers on the buses. That in itself is extremely important to me, not something I want to pay to avoid.
You think its bad now, before you've even left, LOL. Wait till you get there
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vforni
EDIT: Let me also add that you're far far far more likely to be scammed with the public transport option rather than a taxi, especially with the minibus of someone pretending to be the 916 bus, if you look even remotely like a tourist.
You think I think the 916快 is a minibus?

If the scammer accepts payment by Yikatong I'll be extremely impressed.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
You think its bad now, before you've even left, LOL. Wait till you get there
Why wait? With a few notable (and very notable exceptions) there's enough on this thread
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I really enjoyed my trip to China a few weeks ago, but trust me, you will be shocked at the level of the scamming that goes on there. You really need to experience it in person to understand
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
You think I think the 916快 is a minibus?

If the scammer accepts payment by Yikatong I'll be extremely impressed.
It's an express bus which will take that card. (finding the bus will be another story, with countless people trying to steer you in the wrong direction) But your trip from where it leaves you will be a minibus.
All I can say is have fun.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's an express bus which will take that card. (finding the bus will be another story, with countless people trying to steer you in the wrong direction) But your trip from where it leaves you will be a minibus.

What ARE you saying then???

First there's the "you're far far far more likely to be scammed with the public option rather than a taxi".

Then you've clarified that it's not the express bus that I need to worry about but a minibus (in other words, the taxi option at Huairou).

----

I know the scam of tourists being earnestly advised to board a different bus to the one they set out to catch - at the other end the tourist finds that an associate was called to meet them and carry them off in their unlicensed taxi at exorbitant rates, sometimes they get to go to the area they originally planned to go, the worst case scenario is one where they end up somewhere quite different.

And it's not just scammers one needs to watch out for. For instance, I am intimately aware of a case where a tourist asked about travelling to Mutianyu by public transport and was urged to travel to Badaling instead
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...ussion-22.html

Here's a quote from the last time I asked about using public transport to get somewhere from an airport:
Originally Posted by jiejie
OK, I'll be blunt. All alone with baby, luggage, and back/wrist problems, you are foolish to consider any other means of airport-to-hotel transport than a direct taxi. Even with no car seat for the baby. Sit in the back seat of the taxi and hold the toddler. Trying to deal with all your crap plus the baby on buses, MRT, light rail, or anything else and you may paradoxically be more likely to drop something, strain something, or trip. And if you think it's easy to maneuver stuff for even a short distance down Bangkok sidewalks, you will be in for an unpleasant surprise. And all this after arriving on a long-haul flight and likely very tired, right? Meanwhile, the kid is likely to be in full revolt. This is a no-brainer, take the d@mn taxi.
Others all piled in with the same message - don't take public transport, take a taxi.

Thankfully, I ignored the advice. Didn't take a taxi and my daughter and I had a relaxed, stress free journey to the hotel.
Because of what happened in Japan that Spring our Bangkok stopover ended up being our destination, so ended up having a much lengthier stay than planned.
Never did find out what the issue was with navigating Bangkok sidewalks (I partly grew up in Spain in the 1970s). MRT system was excellent.

Other "advice" was:
Originally Posted by jiejie
You get anxiety attacks from getting in a car without functioning seatbelts? And you are coming to Thailand?!? Sounds like the baby is less the one with the issues than you. Sorry, but I can't help but wonder why for an unnecessary leisure trip (as was made clear in your other thread) you are opening yourself up to angst and other logistical worries.
Avoided the anxiety triggers (i.e. Taxis) and had the most glorious wonderful time in Thailand. Still cannot imagine a better place in the whole world to visit with a young child. To this day I cannot think about our experiences there without welling up with a sense of gratitude and joy.

Anyway, very glad I looked back at this previous thread.

---
I tried out the child carrying sling I used to use and my daughter still fits in there fine. Good! Won't need a taxi to get back to the airport.

Am going to Mutianyu.

Will be using public transport to get there.

Luggage will be stashed at the airport.

If anyone has any direct experiences of using public transport I'd love to hear about them.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
You might want to consider that despite the extensive travel and China experience of this FT community, it is ultimately one that has a very different set of travel preferences, priorities and needs compared to you. Just as some prefer to splurge on a first class class flight but go cheap on hotels on arrival, plenty think it is insane to splurge on a limited duration flight only to skimp on multi-day accommodations. It's close to impossible for one group to give the other the right advice or information.

There are probably other websites that might be better aligned with your travel preferences and can give you the assurances you are looking for. But seems like the FT crowd does not lean to making the travel trade-offs you are game to.

Please don't take this to mean that I am saying you're not welcome here. Just noting that it persistently asking this group for a different opinion isn't going to really get the conversation in that direction.

For what it is worth, I have done GW on the cheap, and understand the vast cost difference makes it hard to accept the 500-800RMB alternative when public transport seems perfectly doable. Personally I'm no longer willing to put up with the hassles of public transport in China, and how much time you bleed in the process.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

What ARE you saying then???

First there's the "you're far far far more likely to be scammed with the public option rather than a taxi".

Then you've clarified that it's not the express bus that I need to worry about but a minibus (in other words, the taxi option at Huairou).
On this board, we either live here, or have have visited China extensively and we're just passing on our own experiences. We're advising you, quite bluntly, that your plan is ripe for problems.

What I'm suggesting is that you can catch the 916 bus (which has both a local and express option IIRC), but you may have a hard time finding it as there's little English there and you'll be labeled as a hapless tourist and steered in the wrong direction.

The bigger problem for a tourist with limited mandarin will be the taxi/van option at Huairou once you disembark and have to find your way to the entrance at Mutianyu on your own. If you don't feel comfortable bargaining the taxi from PEK to Mutianyu (or maybe you do, but that was overshadowed by the cost), then this won't be much better.

If anyone has any direct experiences of using public transport I'd love to hear about them.
I've done this trip entirely on public transport with friends that wanted to experience 'real China'. I'm not just being an armchair quarterback here. But to echo the above poster, on FT, our travel preferences may be differently geared than yours. Regardless of what you do, you should report back with your experiences. I had no doubt you can take this trip with public transport, but in my experience and opinion, it will take a lot longer than you could ever budget.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Apr 3, 2014 at 6:50 am Reason: added personal experience
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What I'm suggesting is that you can catch the 916 bus (which has both a local and express option IIRC), but you may have a hard time finding it as there's little English there and you'll be labeled as a hapless tourist and steered in the wrong direction.
North (北) platform, bus transfer hall, gate labelled 916 right next to the MacDonalds.

Feels like I've taken an axe out of a ceiling beam.
http://www.mikelockett.com/stories.p...ion=view&id=97

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 3, 2014 at 7:31 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Feels like I've taken an axe out of a ceiling beam.
http://www.mikelockett.com/stories.p...ion=view&id=97
Cute story, but I think the lady making her cow climb the ladder because the grass was on the roof (rather than bringing the grass to the cow) part is a bit more fitting for this thread.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did make it clear from the beginning that I don't want to take a taxi (I always make it clear that I don't want to take a taxi)

From my point of view, I'm the cow
(Rest of the herd seems to get their grass fine)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did make it clear from the beginning that I don't want to take a taxi (I always make it clear that I don't want to take a taxi)

From my point of view, I'm the cow
(Rest of the herd seems to get their grass fine)
You're a champ. Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA1P
I agree, don't take a taxi.

Check out Simon Xiao (http://simon-service.com). Describe your whole itinerary, he'll quote you an exact amount up front, no bargaining needed. He'll take care of tolls, parking, show you exactly where to go, watch your luggage/etc. while you are on the wall. Loan you his spare phone with the "call Simon" button and help you navigate Beijing with his excellent English.

He'll meet you at the airport with a sign with your name and maximize your time for touring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.