Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Schwab Debit Card - ATM Access?

Schwab Debit Card - ATM Access?

Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I have a Schwab card also and always use for international ATMs around the world. However, once the ATM refused to take my Schwab card (some BOC ATM in Yangshuo). At that point I had run out of cash so I used my Chase card which worked. Anyway, always have a back-up I guess.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by johnathome
I have a Schwab card also and always use for international ATMs around the world. However, once the ATM refused to take my Schwab card (some BOC ATM in Yangshuo). At that point I had run out of cash so I used my Chase card which worked. Anyway, always have a back-up I guess.
I love my Schwab card, too. It's never failed to work for me in any country, however, there have been a couple of times when I had to contact Schwab to get an ATM fee refunded that didn't happen automatically. No problem whatsoever. Highly recommended.

With regard to having a backup, I never leave the USA without at least US$200 cash (newest crispest bills possible). If my ATM card doesn't work, I can always go to a currency exchange to get me by in a pinch. Much better than paying the outrageous cash advance fees on a credit card. Yikes!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dmo580
Yeah I'll probably get like $50 worth or something so I can at least make it to my hotel, and count on ATM for the rest. Seems like PEK has tons of ATMs according to some websites, and if not I'm bound to find something near my hotel at Wangfujing.
I can't envision you having any problem getting cash at the airport. At worst you'll have to use an ATM card from something other than Schwab and pay fees that will still be favorable in comparison to getting cash in advance.

Only reason to have cash before arrival in China is if you have a friend who wants to unload some excess RMB at a market rate.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've just opened an account and got the "Visa Platinum Debit Card". However, reading the fine prints, while it states "unlimited ATM fee refund" , it also says "excluding foreign currency exchange fee".

For those who used it, dose Schwab Bank charge an exchange fee when withdraw in foreign currencies?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HowieG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've just opened an account and got the "Visa Platinum Debit Card". However, reading the fine prints, while it states "unlimited ATM fee refund" , it also says "excluding foreign currency exchange fee".

For those who used it, dose Schwab Bank charge an exchange fee when withdraw in foreign currencies?
No.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:40 am

Fee or no fee, whatever. What really matters is the effective net exchange rate that you are getting.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
Fee or no fee, whatever. What really matters is the effective net exchange rate that you are getting.
It's within TEN basis points of the BOC cash buying rate.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by moondog
It's within TEN basis points of the BOC cash buying rate.
My point was a general one, not about this card.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
My point was a general one, not about this card.
明明白白, but this thread is about Schwab and only Schwab.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Are there ATMs at the 7-11s and Family Marts that will take Schwab ATM cards also? I'm trying to figure out the best solution in case I run out of cash mid trip.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:20 pm

Are there ATMs at the 7-11s and Family Marts that will take Schwab ATM cards also? I'm trying to figure out the best solution in case I run out of cash mid trip.
Not so much IME, but ATMs are extremely prevalent in Chinese cities. You have nothing to worry about unless you're going WAY off the beaten path.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. Was just asking because I know in Japan a lot of ATMs don't work with foreign cards. My solution is to always hit a 7-11/Family Mart.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:24 pm

Ok thanks. Was just asking because I know in Japan a lot of ATMs don't work with foreign cards. My solution is to always hit a 7-11/Family Mart.
I know that it can be a PITA to get money from ATMs using foreign cards in Japan, but this is NOT the case in China. That having been said, when confronted with multiple options, I generally avoid banks that have terms like "rural", "agricultural", or "farmer" in their names as well as those which are based in far flung places. (My success rate is still greater than 50% when going this route, but if there is a Big 4 option nearby, I try that first.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.