Community
Wiki Posts
Search

one year visas and one way tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

one year visas and one way tickets

From what I have heard, they have become more strict about enforcing visa requirements since my last visit to China. I have heard about people being turned away for not having a return ticket, hotel reservations for the entire length of their proposed stay, and a travel itinerary for their entire trip.

However, I will be able to submit a letter of invitation from my girlfriend, and my understanding is that if you have an invite, requirements for the return ticket and hotel reservation are waived. Is this accurate?

I would like to get a one way ticket this time, because when I have gotten round trip tickets in the past, it has always ended up being more of a hassle than it was worth because I often end up staying longer than the validity of the return ticket.

But now I am also being told that if you don't have a return ticket, sometimes the airline will hassle you and not want to let you board the plane. How much of a concern is this really, and is there a recommended way to resolve this situation quickly should it occur?

Also, the primary purpose of my visit is not travel but to stay in Beijing. I am hoping to get a one year multi-entry visa; then start off by renting a place in Beijing for three months. Ultimately I may end up relocating there, so I want the opportunity to live there for awhile. But the visa application does not really have any option for "long-term visit." You get an option of "short term visit" and "long term study." I assume I can just leave the travel itinerary blank or write that I will be staying in Beijing? But does anyone have a suggestion for what box to check for the purpose of my visit to give me the best chances of getting a one year visa?

I read about at least one person who actually got a two year multi-entry visa when submitting a letter of invitation, but he didn't specify a reason. Is it just luck of the draw?

Any suggestions for how to approach the application so that I have the best chance would be appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Are you applying for F or L visa?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
It also depends on your passport but normally you need a return flight to get a tourist or business visa and i cannot remember a time when this was not the case. If American you chances are even slimmer to get a visa without return flight. You could as an alternative of course apply for a visa in HK end enter via Shenzhen.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:02 pm

You should simply visit the Chinese embassy's website of the country where you reside. The requirements are clearly laid out.
You probably still need tickets with the letter of invitation. Airlines are not the one who care about your return ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's the need for a new thread on this?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by velivolus
However, I will be able to submit a letter of invitation from my girlfriend, and my understanding is that if you have an invite, requirements for the return ticket and hotel reservation are waived. Is this accurate?
Some of your posts on unrelated threads hint that you have a US passport. If this is the case, and you are applying in the USA for a Chinese visa, your information above is absolutely correct. With a letter of invitation from a Chinese citizen OR a foreigner with a Residence Permit for China, you can skip the inbound/outbound air ticket and hotel reservations. I have personally used this method in the last year to obtain my 12-month multiple-entry visa. Just make sure that the letter of invitation information content conforms to whatever your assigned Embassy/Consulate location expects. You will need a copy of the Chinese ID (or if foreigner, passport info and visa pages) of the inviter.

In your case, don't get greedy about the 2 year. Go for the 12 month. You should concentrate more on having that letter of invitation crafted to allow you a stay of as much as 90 days per entry. Your best gambit is going for "tourism" and you will still need for application and letter of invitation (please get them coordinated!) an itinerary for something between 60-90 days. 75 days is a good number. Put down something that covers a large amount of geography including your GF's base location. As always, avoid any Tibet or Xinjiang mentions or locations. The itinerary is to fill space on the form and letter, not for you to actually follow in real time.

Purchasing a one-way ticket is not a problem. China explicitly allows inbound travel on one-way tickets if you have a Chinese visa. I have done this plenty of times and not been hassled by airline check-in staff in the US on China-bound itinerary. Can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience, but get to check-in early and be prepared to stand firm. Airline staff often confuse China's requirements (need visa to visit, but can fly in one-way) with other Asian countries like Japan and Thailand (no need visa to visit, but need outbound ticket even if in practice it's rarely asked for by Immigration of those countries).

Last edited by jiejie; Mar 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I only purchase one way tickets because I have no idea when I am leaving China, only that I will leave prior to overstaying my visa.

Nor do I know the method in which I will leave the country.

It has never been an issue at entry into China.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

jiejie, thanks a lot. your reply was very helpful and informative.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Some airlines are more stringent on the return ticket requirements than others, what I do is just purchase a fully refundable return ticket and refund it once I'm through customs in China. There isn't really any risk aside from floating your credit for a few days.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pimevai
Some airlines are more stringent on the return ticket requirements than others, what I do is just purchase a fully refundable return ticket and refund it once I'm through customs in China. There isn't really any risk aside from floating your credit for a few days.
As jiejie pointed out up thread, China does not have a return/onward ticket requirement for holders of valid visas except for G (at least as far as I know).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:29 pm

Post Removed.

Last edited by AllAboutFlying; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Chinese VISAs even for Indians have become stringent. I have had 1 year multiple entry visas earlier, just applied for 1 year again. The agent says they are not issuing one year VISAs nowadays ?

I must have visited China atleast 20 times already, dont know why such rules, will anyway keep you guys updated.
Please post in the visa thread. This thread specifically deals with airplane tickets as they relate to visas (there is actually no connection in most cases, but that's what we're discussing).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog
As jiejie pointed out up thread, China does not have a return/onward ticket requirement for holders of valid visas except for G (at least as far as I know).
I've had this happen to me while travelling on an L visa YUL-YYZ-PEK and was stopped at check-in by AC which forced me to buy a return ticket. Now I just have a refundable return ready just in case if I'm going one way when flying AC. For reference though, AC is the only carrier who has ever asked me about my return ticket, and I've flown one way with Continental, BA, and JAL to PEK without any such issues.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Pimevai
I've had this happen to me while travelling on an L visa YUL-YYZ-PEK and was stopped at check-in by AC which forced me to buy a return ticket. Now I just have a refundable return ready just in case if I'm going one way when flying AC. For reference though, AC is the only carrier who has ever asked me about my return ticket, and I've flown one way with Continental, BA, and JAL to PEK without any such issues.
Why didn't you ask them for proof of this (nonexistent) policy?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:42 pm

Didn't seem worth the effort at the time, they told me to refund the ticket once I arrived which worked. I've since done the same twice more with AC just as a precaution though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.