Wiki Posts
Search

Yichang -> Wuhan train ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by JPDM
Just checked the ticket availability for today. There are many trains. some are sold out so if you are flexible you'll be fine. The 17h30 seems to be the most popular and is sold out (for same day).
You can buy the tickets from anywhere in China up to 18 days in advance or 20 days in advance online. You can check schedules and availability here: http://www.china-diy-travel.com/
Thanks, I will look into purchasing beforehand a couple weeks out.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I think your proposed option is probably your best bet, but you might also want to consider flying from Yichang to Shenzhen, which seems to be reliably available for around $110 (taxes on your BA issued ticket to HK should run about $46). However, the schedule is not very nice for your needs: 11a and 11p only.
Thanks, just checked that flight for my date(s) and it's ~$180. The bad schedule plus having to cross the border with a bunch of large luggage isn't as enticing. Hopefully it'll be nice to check out Wuhan for a night.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by frudd38
Thanks, just checked that flight for my date(s) and it's ~$180. The bad schedule plus having to cross the border with a bunch of large luggage isn't as enticing. Hopefully it'll be nice to check out Wuhan for a night.
If you have lots of large luggage, seems that schlepping about on any trains isn't going to be a pleasant venture and neither would a manual border crossing done without a private car transfer SZX-HK. Seems that you'd be better served to fly out of Yichang the same evening you arrive, spend night at that city, then fly nonstop to HKG the next morning. Can put big bags with airport Left Luggage overnight then pick them up before checking in for morning flight. I think there's an evening YIH-HGH (Hangzhou) flight that could work, ditto for morning HGH-HKG.

Wuhan's not that great to check out for a night. And if you do keep this routing, make darn sure your hotel is on the airport side of the river (Hankou) even if the better sights are on the other side of the river.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
I think there's an evening YIH-HGH (Hangzhou) flight that could work, ditto for morning HGH-HKG.
YIH-HGH is pretty much the same price as YIH-CAN/SZX, and requires an additional flight (7500 BA points, rather than 4500 BA points from WUH, no less) to get within striking distance of HK.

In short, I stand by my earlier pronouncement that the OP's plan is the best possible means to his objective. (I didn't believe it myself when I first saw it, so I challenged myself to craft something more sensible, but every other idea I could conceive of was some combination of more annoying/expensive/time consuming.)

ETA: Shipping the heavy luggage from the Chongqing hotel to the Wuhan hotel would solve the "luggage on train" problem, and would be quite cheap.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 6, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

I think I've overstated the luggage issue.. it won't be anything ridiculous (3 large check ins and 4 carry ons) for the 4 of us, although only 2 of us will probably be carrying the load.

It did take me awhile to come up with my proposed plan as well and since I'm new to anything outside PVG, wasn't sure if I was missing anything better. Almost considered upstream cruise to end in CKG instead, but didn't want to spend an extra night on the boat.

The SZX option would actually seem better if the flight times were better. How much would a private van transfer be into Kowloon? Anything special that needs to be done when crossing the border?

Since the Westin WUH dropped a Cat last week, where I was already planning on staying, it's making me lean towards WUH as well, as stupid of a reason that may sound.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

I forgot that I saw YIH-HKG on Sichuan Air before, but couldn't pull it up on any OTA and it seems the schedule ends 3/29. Anyone know anything about this route?

Never mind, it's Sat only.

Last edited by frudd38; Mar 6, 2014 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know if there are car services willing to drive from Yichang to Wuhan?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Figured I'd update from this trip last year. After arriving from the river cruise in Yi Chang, we had a pre-booked taxi to take us to Yi Chang East train station, which we then took to Wuhan. The train was pleasant and quick at 2 hours. Spent the night and full next day in Wuhan before our evening flight to HKG, which turned out to be an excellent choice since it was a nice river city to explore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.