Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Which area to stay in Shanghai?

Which area to stay in Shanghai?

Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog
If they do have a loyalty program of any substance, the word has yet to get out.

The "French Concession" is something that people like to talk about but very few have any real clue of its boundaries. This is due, in large part, to the fact that it expanded and shrank during its 100 year existence.

The following map is one of the broadest depictions I've seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fo...cessionMap.jpg

But, practically speaking, I don't think of Xintiandi, let alone any part of the Bund, as being part of the (former) French Concession.
the link to a map drawn up in 1935... so would have been an accurate reflection
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

??? Okura Garden.

If they do have a loyalty program of any substance, the word has yet to get out.

The "French Concession" is something that people like to talk about but very few have any real clue of its boundaries. This is due, in large part, to the fact that it expanded and shrank during its 100 year existence.

The following map is one of the broadest depictions I've seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fo...cessionMap.jpg

But, practically speaking, I don't think of Xintiandi, let alone any part of the Bund, as being part of the (former) French Concession.
To be fair there is an Intercontinental Hotel in the FC as well now.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
I lived in Shanghai for 2 years and really didnt like the city much foremost as it lacks real history. The only thing people talking about and people find attractive is the french concession and that basically proofs my point cause its not Chinese.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
To be fair there is an Intercontinental Hotel in the FC as well now.
The IC is in what used to be the Ruijin Binguan. Ruijin Park was quite nice about 12 years ago.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Plissken
I lived in Shanghai for 2 years and really didnt like the city much foremost as it lacks real history. The only thing people talking about and people find attractive is the french concession and that basically proofs my point cause its not Chinese.
You could also dismiss HK, Tianjin, Singapore, and countless other cities on the same grounds, but IMO events dating back 200 years certainly qualify as "history".
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:23 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
The IC is in what used to be the Ruijin Binguan. Ruijin Park was quite nice about 12 years ago.
Stayed at the hotel years ago, was kind of eery there at night. Face bar was
fun to go to. I don't like the location as well as Okura, seems not as convenient for walking.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Stayed at the hotel years ago, was kind of eery there at night. Face bar was
fun to go to.
I don't like the location as well as Okura, seems not as convenient for walking.
Circa 2005 there was a large scale crackdown on the Maoming Rd. bars, which resulted in mass closures. Shortly thereafter, shops and restaurants followed suit. But, Face stayed the course until its lease expired in 2009.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:36 am

People's Square is actually not bad. I stayed at the Le Meridien last year and my coworker at the JW. Pretty sweet. I walked to get some Yangs Fried Dumplings and Jia Jia Soup Dumplings. Heaven I'll tell you. This is coming from the guy who hits up DTF multiple times in Taiwan every year and Crystal Jade in Hong Kong.

But with that said it's also subway accessible and not TOO far from the Bund for a nice view of the Pudong skyline.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I will be staying at Intercontinental Shanghai Puxi Hotel which is near the Train station, is it a bad area to be staying at?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
I will be staying at Intercontinental Shanghai Puxi Hotel which is near the Train station, is it a bad area to be staying at?
Very bad (arguably even worse than LJZ, in fact). If you are wedded to IHG brands, go for the Ruijin property. If not, focus on Jing'an.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:16 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Circa 2005 there was a large scale crackdown on the Maoming Rd. bars, which resulted in mass closures. Shortly thereafter, shops and restaurants followed suit. But, Face stayed the course until its lease expired in 2009.
Looks like they gutted the whole inside of building that Face occupied.
Progress

http://shanghailander.net/2013/08/in...-ruijin-hotel/
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:21 am

Anyone here having experience with Radisson Blu in Shanghai? I have read the reviews at Tripadvisor etc and it looks great, but I was just wondering if someone in here have stayed there. I am Club Carlson Concierge so I guess that makes why I look for hotels in that chain.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by William S
Anyone here having experience with Radisson Blu in Shanghai? I have read the reviews at Tripadvisor etc and it looks great, but I was just wondering if someone in here have stayed there. I am Club Carlson Concierge so I guess that makes why I look for hotels in that chain.
The hotel itself is fine (almost as nice as the JW or LRM), but you need to decide whether or People's Square is your style.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:24 pm

Very bad (arguably even worse than LJZ, in fact). If you are wedded to IHG brands, go for the Ruijin property. If not, focus on Jing'an.
Jing'an is a nice residential district, but too suburban for a tourist. It is like Changning or Putuo districts, like Jing'an both have good connections with the city centre, but, also like Jing'an, they are not so central. Therefore, not the best choices for a tourist. Additionally, there is nothing of interest for a tourist in Jing'an, the temple itself is like a religious version of Disneyland, the shopping can be done anywhere else in the city and most of the best restaurants are definitely not there.

For a tourist I would recommend the following places to stay:

1. Former French Concession (including Xintiandi area, which historically was always a part of the concession)
2. People's Square
3. The Bund.

And mostly avoid business or residential areas out of the city centre, such as:

1. Pudong.
2. Changning
3. Putuo
4. Jing'an
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Magerit
Jing'an is a nice residential district, but too suburban for a tourist. It is like Changning or Putuo districts, like Jing'an both have good connections with the city centre, but, also like Jing'an, they are not so central. Therefore, not the best choices for a tourist. Additionally, there is nothing of interest for a tourist in Jing'an, the temple itself is like a religious version of Disneyland, the shopping can be done anywhere else in the city and most of the best restaurants are definitely not there.

For a tourist I would recommend the following places to stay:

1. Former French Concession (including Xintiandi area, which historically was always a part of the concession)
2. People's Square
3. The Bund.

And mostly avoid business or residential areas out of the city centre, such as:

1. Pudong.
2. Changning
3. Putuo
4. Jing'an
I must admit that I'm starting to like the (western part of the) former French Concession a little more than JA, but JA is far better than People's Square (can't seem to walk anywhere due to the crazy road infrastructure) and the Bund (a must visit for first time Shanghai tourists, but there's really no point in staying there).

We seem to have similar feelings about Pudong, Changning, and Putuo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.