Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Uber Shanghai (nice cars and not very expensive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Shanghai (nice cars and not very expensive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mendy7511
So just go to departures and let the driver know what door?

Attached is the error I got last week
Thanks for your help
Your initial instinct was correct (payment method not supported).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Thanks.
How do I find the wechat group?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
How do I find the wechat group?
Scan the most recent qr code in the wechat thread (it is still valid).
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm currently in an uber on my way back from hongqiao t2, and want to warn all that using uber for pick ups after the last flight of the day departs is an incredibly bad idea because the departures road is under maintance at night and they aren't allowed on the lower level. After 20 minutes of phone calls with the driver, we finally managed to meet each other at the train station.

Moral to the story; if you arrive after the subway closes, either wait it out in the taxi queue or take the night bus (which is actually an amazingly fast way into town, BTW).

Eta: it is surely possible to get picked up by a private car at night, bit my driver certainly couldn't crack the case. Furthermore, the construction will surely end at some point. But, even then, let it be known that sha t2 (as well as the train station) is a tricky place for pickups due to the north and south entrances.
Update: My friend, Joe, suggested a workaround to the Hongqiao night arrival problem a few weeks back, and I put it to the test last night (the taxi queue was so long that I figured even a 40 minute wait for Uber would be okay).

Joe simply told me to go to the Boyue Hotel (entrance is right next to departures door #3), and all would be easy.

It actually wasn't that easy, but I did manage to plant myself in a car within 10 minutes + save Y60 (v. taxi) in the process.

Since I only have a single data point to work with, I am unable to offer fool proof instructions, but here's a preliminary guide:

1. Go to the Boyue Hotel entrance on the departures level (impossible to miss)

2. Request your Uber from there

3. Ask the guy standing next to the door to advise the driver of your pick-up location
-it is on the arrivals level in the opposite direction of the taxi mayhem (service road)
-your driver will not be able to find this location in the absence of clear instructions

4. Ask the same guy (or one of his colleagues) to help you meet the car when it arrives
-tip him at least Y20 (but, no more than Y50...let's not create a cottage industry)
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EX Plat. Hyatt Glob
Just used this today, saved me like 60rmb vs a taxi. Went from the bund to the wild animal park. Will use uber to PVG tomorrow for sure.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
In light of current "crack downs" at the airports and the train station, i.e. No empty cars to the departure levels, how dose everyone get uber pick up there? Cheers.

Last edited by HowieG; Apr 8, 2016 at 2:14 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I was able to get an Uber car at the maglev station in Pudong with no problem a few days ago. The road between the stations is blocked off, so you need to walk to the intersection to meet your car. It worked for me.

I tried to get an Uber at the Astor House Hotel right next to the garden bridge on the Bund to return to the maglev station, but I couldn't get the Uber app to work. It just would not load maps properly, so I had no way of inputting my destination. I'm guessing it was a GCFW/maps issue, but who knows. I tried for 45 minutes using both cell data and the hotel's wifi but nothing worked for me.

BTW: Watch out for the taxi scams at the maglev station! The newest scam: a guy watches you use the Uber app on your phone. Maybe asks a few questions. He walks away. 10 minutes later, a guy comes over and says: Uber car is ready, follow me.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion

I tried to get an Uber at the Astor House Hotel right next to the garden bridge on the Bund to return to the maglev station, but I couldn't get the Uber app to work. It just would not load maps properly, so I had no way of inputting my destination. I'm guessing it was a GCFW/maps issue, but who knows. I tried for 45 minutes using both cell data and the hotel's wifi but nothing worked for me.
I had the same issue, it is a because of Google or some related feature being blocked. Once I turned on the VPN, it worked fine.
I used Express VPN with great results.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

On iPhones, you don't need to be on VPN.

On Android phones, you shouldn't need to be on VPN, but this seems to solve most map issues.

"Destination" honestly matters not.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 25, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:53 pm

On iPhones, you don't need be on VPN.

On Android phones, you shouldn't need to be on VPN, but this seems to solve most mao issues.

It definitely did not work for me on Android unless I had a VPN running.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:41 am
Original Poster

It definitely did not work for me on Android unless I had a VPN running.
Uber China uses Baidu Maps, which obviously aren't blocked, so a VPN isn't a must, but my (Google) phone sure works better with Uber when I'm on VPN.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta FO
It sure mattered for me! My driver had absolutely no idea where I wanted to go, even when I showed him a detailed route on Google maps to the maglev station, which is only 10 KMs or so away from the Bund. I ended up telling him to just start driving, and used hand signals to guide him to the station
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
It sure mattered for me! My driver had absolutely no idea where I wanted to go, even when I showed him a detailed route on Google maps to the maglev station, which is only 10 KMs or so away from the Bund. I ended up telling him to just start driving, and used hand signals to guide him to the station
I've mentioned this upthread, but poor local knowledge is arguably the biggest drawback to Uber (and, this not a China specific phenomenon). I almost ALWAYS guide drivers to my destination because allowing them to over rely on GPS is often a recipe for disaster (plus, turn-by-turn voice directions drives me nuts). I happen to have a pretty good grasp of Shanghai geography and traffic patterns, including one way streets, but even if I didn't, Google/Baidu/Apple maps are pretty reliable, and easy to comprehend.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

Has there been any changes to using uber for pickup at PVG? last time I went to departure level and called the driver after requesting to tell him the door number.
I see some people have issues at Hongqiao lately, just what to make sure I am prepared.
Landing in PVG Monday evening..
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Departure level is complete no go now, as empty cars are strictly not allowed in the departure area. Just use the underground parking lot for pick up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.