Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Western Food in Shenzhen

Western Food in Shenzhen

Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Western Food in Shenzhen

Hi,

I've been in Shenzhen for about a week and I need a break from the Chinese food that my colleagues and hosts have been pushing me towards. Like anything else, it just gets old after a while.

What are some of the better (best?) non-Chinese spots around town? American, Italian, whatever. Even something like high quality sushi or Thai would be appreciated at this point.

Separately - is there anywhere that serves a good Peking Duck here? Obviously I know we are not in PEK, but is there anywhere worth even trying?

Greatly appreciate any suggestions, I'm hoping to break my Chinese streak tonight.

-Troy
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:23 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by troyb
Hi,

I've been in Shenzhen for about a week and I need a break from the Chinese food that my colleagues and hosts have been pushing me towards. Like anything else, it just gets old after a while.

What are some of the better (best?) non-Chinese spots around town? American, Italian, whatever. Even something like high quality sushi or Thai would be appreciated at this point.

Separately - is there anywhere that serves a good Peking Duck here? Obviously I know we are not in PEK, but is there anywhere worth even trying?

Greatly appreciate any suggestions, I'm hoping to break my Chinese streak tonight.

-Troy
Try Coco Park and Shekou.

I don't know that there are best "non-chinese spots" in Shenzhen.

It's like asking for a good place to get feng zhao (鳯爪) in Tupelo Mississippi.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi,

-Troy
Western, or anything non-Chinese?

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Shenzhen in a year, but my usual haunts were in Luo Hu (and random points in Longgang and Bao'an). Shenzhen changes very quickly, but Luo Hu is still by far my favorite district (of the usual Luo Hu, Nan Shan and Fu Tian) in which to eat.

For starters, if you're interested in Japanese food (I don't know about sushi though...), at the northeast corner of Jiabin Lu and Dongmen Nan Lu in Luo Hu, there's a building called 西武大厦 (XiWu Dasha). Check out the floor directory by the elevator for 日本料理 (Riben Liaoli = Japanese Cuisine); I can't remember the exact names of restaurants, but that's as close to feeling like you're in Tokyo as you can get in Shenzhen. Not the quality is exceptional, but that neighborhood - roughly, around Renmin Nan Lu and Dongmen Nan Lu - has a vague Japanese feel to it, which also means dubious nightlife is present.

Due north of XiWu Dasha is a Korean restaurant.

Close to GuoMao metro station, if you go south on RenMin Nan Lu, then make a left on YouYi Lu, there's a Jusco supermarket located in the basement of a small shopping center. Foreign goods are available, and the crowds aren't usually as nutty as the Wal-Mart or Vanguard.

How about Indian food? I went to Taj a bunch; it's harder to describe the location, but this is a link to the restaurant. It's not far from the Shangri-La hotel, across from the Shenzhen train station.

There are a couple of Turkish restaurant in Luo Hu too: Istanbul and Anatolia.

Plenty of other choices exist in random parts of the city, but Coco Park/Gou Wu Gong Yuan metro station, Shekou and Hua Qiang Bei are common areas to go for your fill of non-Chinese food.

I'm not necessarily raving about any of these places, regardless I wanted to give you/FT a few suggestions.

NB: If you wanted to revert back to Chinese food, I like wandering around the 向西 (Xiang Xi) part of Luo Hu. Lots of variety, and it's quite bustling at night.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Nov 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reason: Comment about 向西
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks guys really appreciate it. I fully recognize that it is unlikely that I will find something really good, just looking for the best around. Those Turkish places look interesting.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:43 pm

Thanks guys really appreciate it. I fully recognize that it is unlikely that I will find something really good, just looking for the best around. Those Turkish places look interesting.
In which part of the city are you staying in?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It probably won't be a good price/quality ratio, but have you checked out restaurants in western/foreign chain hotels? I've found this to be a good strategy in barely first tier Chinese cities.

In commercial streets near universities, you're likely to find some relatively cheap foreign restaurants, such as locally owned Italian and burger joints. The quality won't be good, but they still might be what you're seeking.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In which part of the city are you staying in?
I'm in Futian.

As for hotel restaurants I'm fine with those but luck thus far has been poor. I've eaten at the Sheraton and Shangri La Futian.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I'm in Futian.

As for hotel restaurants I'm fine with those but luck thus far has been poor. I've eaten at the Sheraton and Shangri La Futian.
Since you're from (or at least based in) the Tri-State area, I might dare recommend...NYPD. It's a pizza place; the Futian address is: FL-1015 Store, Central Walk, FuHua 1 Rd., Futian Dist. 福田区福一路中心城FL-1015.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I've tried Wang Steak in Taipei and really liked it.

They have a Shenzhen branch as well.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:39 pm

Lots of good stuff in Shekou. Try Atmosphere perhaps. Also, one of my friends recently opened a New England Style seafood restaurant around there: Willy's Crab Shack. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to pay it a visit next month.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Since you're from (or at least based in) the Tri-State area, I might dare recommend...NYPD. It's a pizza place; the Futian address is: FL-1015 Store, Central Walk, FuHua 1 Rd., Futian Dist. 福田区福一路中心城FL-1015.
NYPD pizza, the owner is very hospitable. He told me he had the trademark for NYPD in China. Seemed to haVe a very loyal following of expats in the area.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Awesome. Looks like NYPD for lunch tomorrow. Appreciate all of the ideas I will try to hit them this week.

Anyone been to the dinner buffets at the Hyatt (Show Kitchen) or Ritz (Flavorz)? Are they decent? Again not expecting anything incredible just some decent options.

Any good recommendations for a sunday brunch? I am thinking a hotel - maybe one of the above or really anywhere I don't care.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:34 am

Owner of NYPD is Thompson Lee, originally from Florida.He is very knowedgeable about the city and always helpful. If he is not at the location, staff will phone him. Also he has great pizza.^
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
I lived in Shenzhen for a while in Shekou district. In Futian bar street there are options- McCawley's is an Irish pub, edible options- sit outside if you can, and they have a Mexican restaurant next door. In Shekou- near SeaWorld there is an Italian place Trattoria Italiana da Angelo, if it's still there - and think they also have a Futian location. Mama's n Shekou has Greek/meditarrean style food, and decent pizza. The buffet at the JW Marriott in Futian has some western selections as well, and a good Japanese teppanyaki restaurant. There are addresses for most places on shenzhenparty.com - sounds sketchy I know, but stick to the restaurants tab and it's fine.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:41 pm

Also in Shekou:

Village Bar and Grill
Jordan's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.