Reload this Page >

PVG / Shanghai advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PVG / Shanghai advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When flying DL exPVG, I've experienced security checks at the gate that have consisted of hand searches of carry on items with sealed bottles of water acquired airside in the terminal being confiscated. I don't know whether duty free cosmetics would be allowed if sealed in a tamper proof container and/or delivered to the gate.

Remember also that if you have any connecting flights after arrival in the USA, your liquids must fit into the 3-1-1 baggie, although you can put them into checked luggage after exiting customs.
I'm not worried about the US as I am happy to put liquids into checked bag. I know I'll have at least one checked bag coming back from this trip

I know that water is confiscated at gate checks - have had that happen in Beijing (the first time....Next time I remembered and didn't have any in my bottle) Not being able to tell if duty free would be confiscated during a gate check is what prevents me from wanting to shop at PVG, though I found a couple of reports online that their prices on cosmetics are supposed to be good....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Small amounts of cosmetics could be removed from their boxes and put into a 3-1-1 baggie. These get through the gate checks at Chinese airports for USA flights with no problem.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:04 pm

No, the whole issue is to be able to buy something larger as desired at PVG duty free, not something that will fit into the 3-1-1 bag.

If no one can let me know about duty free, I'll ask crew on my outbound flight
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
No, the whole issue is to be able to buy something larger as desired at PVG duty free, not something that will fit into the 3-1-1 bag.

If no one can let me know about duty free, I'll ask crew on my outbound flight
The small bottle rule only applies at primary security for the most part, though some flights to the US still have secondary screenings at the gate. While I'm not a cosmetics expert by any means, for must product categories, it's possible to get much better prices in the US.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 16, 2014 at 6:51 am
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:25 am

As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking at Asian brands that are not easily (or affordably) available in the US, and when I say "cosmetics", what I really mean is "skin care", which means larger volumes of liquids (eg BB Creams, toners, cleansers, sunscreen etc). Guess I'll just shop in town and check through....The vagueness is unsettling. I am a rule follower, but when I can't find out what the rules are, it makes life a little more difficult
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking at Asian brands that are not easily (or affordably) available in the US, and when I say "cosmetics", what I really mean is "skin care", which means larger volumes of liquids (eg BB Creams, toners, cleansers, sunscreen etc). Guess I'll just shop in town and check through....The vagueness is unsettling. I am a rule follower, but when I can't find out what the rules are, it makes life a little more difficult
Why not buy on arrival instead? (Maybe a smaller selection than upstairs though.)
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Why not buy on arrival instead? (Maybe a smaller selection than upstairs though.)
Never thought of that. Quite honestly have not ever shopped duty free on arrival so just don't think of it as an option. Thanks^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.