Shanghai restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:25 pm

Looks good! I think I'd give it a try.

For katsu, I really like Ginza Biarin at Kerry Center.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Looks good! I think I'd give it a try.

For katsu, I really like Ginza Biarin at Kerry Center.
Thanks for the katsu suggestion. Generally, the only non-Chinese food I really have liked in the Middle Kingdom has either been Japanese or Korean.

Except, of course, for the brilliant "Drunken Chef" in Suzhou run by a Yorkshire native (England that is) and serving a mean outdoor BBQ on Sundays when weather permits. Worth an outing from Shanghai.

http://suzhouliving.com/2012/09/12/t...s-english-pub/
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by mosburger
To sort of answer my own question, lunched with a friend who also lived in Japan before at Irodori Japanese Restaurant at Huahai Zhong Lu recently.
Very nicely executed Japanese "homely dishes": my grilled mackerel set was fresh and tasty and my friends katsudon the best he has had in China. Most other lunch customers were actually Japanese officer workers from the area.
Seems to be a Singaporean operation: http://www.irodorijapaneserestaurant.com.sg/Index.aspx
Had dinner at Irodori tonight and the food didn't taste Japanese. The rice in my unagidon was grainy and hard to pick up using chopsticks, and not moist like Japanese rice should be. The other components of the set: the yasai tempura didn't come with dip sauce, the chawanmushi seemed to have been steamed for too long and the tempura bits in the udon dip were hard instead of light and crisp.

This place even serves a buffet dinner and I don't think self respecting Japanese restaurants do such things.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:52 am

I would recommend Guyi in Fumin Lu for great Hunan food.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by roverkt
Had dinner at Irodori tonight and the food didn't taste Japanese. The rice in my unagidon was grainy and hard to pick up using chopsticks, and not moist like Japanese rice should be. The other components of the set: the yasai tempura didn't come with dip sauce, the chawanmushi seemed to have been steamed for too long and the tempura bits in the udon dip were hard instead of light and crisp.

This place even serves a buffet dinner and I don't think self respecting Japanese restaurants do such things.
Were you in Singapore or Shanghai? We found the food at least satisfactory.

As for the buffet dinners, I think China is a different World from most other countries. Even a self respecting and honourable Japanese restaurant might not survive for long without this option, especially if targeting extremely cost conscious Shanghainese customers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

As for the buffet dinners, I think China is a different World from most other countries. Even a self respecting and honourable Japanese restaurant might not survive for long without this option, especially if targeting extremely cost conscious Shanghainese customers.
All you can eat/drink (from the menu) is more common than buffets IME, but I agree that even the best Japanese restaurants in town tend to have some sort of value option.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:38 am

I'm in Shanghai and ate at Shanghai Plaza. It's not a comment on your taste but yeah it's not how Japanese cuisine should be like. Rice is the single most important component and they didn't get that right. I don't expect much of Singaporean chains though. Also wouldn't be surprised if they took individual items from what was laid out in the dinner buffet to make up my set.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:33 am

I'm in Shanghai and ate at Shanghai Plaza. It's not a comment on your taste but yeah it's not how Japanese cuisine should be like. Rice is the single most important component and they didn't get that right. I don't expect much of Singaporean chains though. Also wouldn't be surprised if they took individual items from what was laid out in the dinner buffet to make up my set.
Still, the majority of their lunch customers were native Japanese when we visited. Also, to my palate as well as my friend, our portions tasted fairly good.

As for prime quality rice and other ingredients, I'd think only the various Communist Party canteens can guarantee top produce being used. They have their own, organic and tightly controlled (quality wise) contract farms that deliver only the best China can offer.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

As for prime quality rice and other ingredients, I'd think only the various Communist Party canteens can guarantee top produce being used. They have their own, organic and tightly controlled (quality wise) contract farms that deliver only the best China can offer.
I beg to differ. I used to know a guy from France who started an organic farming company that quickly rose to supply the majority of 5-star hotels and high end grocery stores in tier-one cities from the mid-90s onward. This was a very lucrative business for him (and may still be, for all I know). More recently, I've seen organic farming operations pop up in many parts of China (including a bunch of good ones in Beijing's Shunyi district).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Sorry I can't agree with you on this. I'm not talking about prime quality rice in the first place; just Japanese rice cooked to the right consistency.

Shanghai is the city where the most number of overseas Japanese live after LA, so there's really no excuse for there not being a market to buy this with economies of scale.

Even Coco, the curry rice chain restaurant, serves rice cooked better in Shanghai than Irodori.

I'd go to Changning district for the best Jp food here. Competition there is rife and if you don't do a good job nobody comes back.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I'd go to Changning district for the best Jp food here. Competition there is rife and if you don't do a good job nobody comes back.
I'm not sure if Suntory (which, I plugged in the OP to this thread last year) still exists, but if it does, check it out. The HSBC building was Mori's first project in Lujiazui (subsequently trumped by the WFC in 2008), and F500 Japanese tenants were a crucial part of the plan. Suntory was awarded the contract to provide F&B services on the top floor (split between a restaurant and lounge). Unlike the family style venues in Changning, chains like 大鱼, or fusion restaurants like Hatsune or Shintori, the MO was high quality Japanese food from the get go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.