Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

wechat(微信)

Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sl00001
Dangerous
A (Chinese) friend told me today that there is a FB group called something like "avoid foreigners on MoMo". Since I've been off of FB for 6 years, I can't vouch for this, but the idea does not shock me. Be nice to the Chinese, ladies and gents.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Feel free to LinkIn with me so I can invite you to the Shanghai Monday Club. About 20% of our conversations revolve around weixin/momo (though we try to focus on business related topics).
My job doesn't revolve around traveling outside of Singapore. So I just travel for R&R. Let me do some planning for May..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:06 am

Ok for Wechat there's a Moments feature that allows you to post pix for all to see. Is there any way to select who gets to see the pic or not? There are times I don't want my coworkers to know that I'm somewhere that I shouldn't be...

Edit: OK I found it on my own, when I tried to upload a pic there was an option to select who would be able to see it, as well as an option to create groups of contacts.

Last edited by KIXman; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:42 am
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:53 am

I too love WeChat.

Best feature is clearly the "speech messages".. including Group chats.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
A (Chinese) friend told me today that there is a FB group called something like "avoid foreigners on MoMo". Since I've been off of FB for 6 years, I can't vouch for this, but the idea does not shock me. Be nice to the Chinese, ladies and gents.
sigh
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard of this group as well, although from what I can gather it is not working too well (anecdotal evidence of course).

Last edited by travelinmanS; Feb 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:04 am
Original Poster

I've finally figured out how to add "moments" (i.e. use the camera icon on your moments page), and have been shocked by how much people seem to care about this feature. That having been said, if the masses really want to see pictures of my XLB, I'll keep them coming.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:25 pm

I too love the voice message feature - it certainly saves time and avoids eye strain as I don't have to tap out words in pinyin and look for the proper character anymore.

Concerning moments, is anyone able to see others' likes and comments on another person's Moments page? It seems to me that only the owner of the Moments page can see the likes and comments, while everyone else can see only the comments the Moments page owner makes. Can't decide if I like it this way, or if I'd prefer we can see others' comments to perhaps stimulate more conversation (or banter, really )
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:14 am
Original Poster

I thought I had seen it all, but "weixin stores" are the rage here in Nanning.
Anything I could fancy purchasing is available via "look around". I've read that Alibaba isn't so happy about this development because they dislike it when other companies try to aggregate Tbao/Tmall, but there's really not much they can do to stop it... disruption before our very eyes.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL
so it's not the females, but the need of face cream and gucci bags that drew your attention to -look out-
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:08 am

I love WeChat.
add me ,my WeChat name is sophia .
emm...what is 'MoMo'?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaselinewin
I love WeChat.
add me ,my WeChat name is sophia .
emm...what is 'MoMo'?
That's a pretty awesome user name... far better than moondogsh.

MoMo is similar to wx, but is far more focused on "hooking up", though I must admit that it seems to be socially acceptable down here (in Shanghai, it is known as the "divorce app").
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a pretty awesome user name... far better than moondogsh.

MoMo is similar to wx, but is far more focused on "hooking up", though I must admit that it seems to be socially acceptable down here (in Shanghai, it is known as the "divorce app").
I'd say it's more the divorcee app
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'd say it's more the divorcee app
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/wo...er25.html?_r=0
^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Care to summarize the article? I've given up on VPNs for the time being.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.