Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What to expect when arriving at PEK? Total newbie here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

It's my first time flying internationally, alone at that, and I am looking for any advice (preferably really simplified/broken down advice) on what to expect when I arrive at PEK.

I keep reading online "You go through customs and pick up your baggage", but I am looking for more specific information. Is customs a room you go in? A line? A kiosk you stop at? Are there signs or guidelines posted so you know you're going the right way? I am only bringing a carry-on so I am unsure of how or if this will make a difference in the process.

If anyone can give me a ridiculously easy version of what to expect when I arrive at PEK from the US, I would be so grateful.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never done an international arrival at PEK to comment on. Thus I'll give what I've encountered at PVG. It should be similar.

The first thing you encounter is a hoop rather like the WTMDs, there is a counter next to it. This is a nuke detector, normally everyone just streams through it, I have never seen a line there that was even 30 seconds. Note that there is no indication of it's nature, the only reason I know is that my wife tripped it once. It's Chinese security, though, not the TSA, she didn't get the third degree from them despite having left the card from the lab behind. (And note that she passed through two US airports without apparently setting off any alarms. It's possible that the US alarms are sophisticated enough to figure out identify it as Tc-99m and dismiss it {it's too short lived to be of any use to a terrorist} but I doubt it. I think this is just a case of them being ahead of us.)

In times past there have been health cards you filled out (the forms are always provided on the airplane) and handed in at this desk (there would just be someone there collecting them, no inspection) but I haven't seen that in years.

Next is immigration. You hand over your passport and the card you filled out on the airplane. Note that the card comes in two parts, the second half to be kept for departure. This is just a convenience, if you lose it you just fill out another one when you're leaving. These days there's a camera you look at during the procedure.

After this there is baggage claim. PVG at least has *FREE* luggage carts. You'll also find duty free stores. They'll sell you up to the duty free allowance per boarding pass stub you show them. This is *NOT* the norm for international travel, duty free is normally only at departure.

Finally you pass through customs. In many visits we have never had a bag opened up, the only time an official has even stopped us was when I was wheeling a cart of 4 bags and apparently alone--a great pile of luggage does tend to interest customs officials. Usually the nothing-to-declare line seems to be unmanned, it appears to contain another nuke detector (the same trip where my wife set off the one an alarm also rang as we went through) but there was absolutely no followup--we stopped and waited, nobody came. We finally walked on. (It wouldn't be the first unmanned security system I have encountered over there.)

Note that the PVG luggage carts at least have deadman brakes on them, you have to push the handle to go.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Don't worry—millions of people a year navigate PEK (and other international airports) without any problems whatsoever.

While the exact flow for clearing immigration/baggage claim/customs varies depending on which terminal you arrive in (information you don't provide), everything is very clearly signposted. Just follow the signs for "Arrivals" and everyone else and you will be fine.

There are two checkpoints (technically, also a health checkpoint, but you just walk past): immigration, where your passport/visa will be examined and you will turn in your arrival card; and customs, where your baggage could in theory be checked but almost never will.

If you do not have any checked luggage, simply proceed straight through the "Nothing to Declare" lane (assuming you don't have any items to declare) after clearing immigration. If you had checked bags, you'd need to wait at the baggage claim before proceeding through the customs checkpoint.

PEK's official website has a very nice Arrivals Guide for T3 with maps that explains the whole process: http://en.bcia.com.cn/guide/internat...rival_t3.shtml

Enjoy your time in Beijing!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: various
Which situation describes you?
1) Entering China with a visa.
2) No visa, long transit and/or minimum one night stopover.
3) No visa, short transiting <4-5 hours, with onward international connection.

What airline are you flying in on? Terminal 2 and 3 setups are physically a bit different. Airline determines terminal. (all situations)
What airline are you flying out on (2 and 3 only)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What to expect? Well, some pretty ghastly air, for starters.

Moving on, assuming you are moving over here for an extended period of time, here's the way it usually plays out:

-first two weeks: shock and awe
-weeks 3-6: homesickness plus intermittent "bad China days"
-after that, you'll accept the fact that you live in China, and might end up actually liking it
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
What to expect? Well, some pretty ghastly air, for starters.

Moving on, assuming you are moving over here for an extended period of time, here's the way it usually plays out:

-first two weeks: shock and awe
-weeks 3-6: homesickness plus intermittent "bad China days"
-after that, you'll accept the fact that you live in China, and might end up actually liking it
Well, since the OP by his own admission will have only a carry-on, how likely is it that he's moving over for an extended period? Though I suppose it's possible....
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Which situation describes you?
1) Entering China with a visa.
2) No visa, long transit and/or minimum one night stopover.
3) No visa, short transiting <4-5 hours, with onward international connection.

What airline are you flying in on? Terminal 2 and 3 setups are physically a bit different. Airline determines terminal. (all situations)
What airline are you flying out on (2 and 3 only)
I am entering with a tourist visa. Flying both in and out with United. Terminal 3.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

From the customs section of the airport website, it says that at customs I need to declare ""Separately-transported baggage, goods, samples of goods, advertisements". What does this mean?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by celestialbound
From the customs section of the airport website, it says that at customs I need to declare ""Separately-transported baggage, goods, samples of goods, advertisements". What does this mean?
If you don't know what this means, I can guarantee you that it doesn't apply to you.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Scifience said, if you don't understand it doesn't apply to you.

What they are talking about is commercial goods, even if they are only samples.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:12 pm

I am entering with a tourist visa. Flying both in and out with United. Terminal 3.
OK, standard entry for you. Deplane, follow the crowd to Immigration, use any of the regular queues for Foreigners. When you're up, present passport and filled-out arrival/departure card (you'll get on airplane). Normally there is no more health form to fill out (unless a major health alert is underway, in which case forms are handed out on plane before arrival). There is no longer a Customs form to fill out.

After Immigration, you'll follow the crowd to the light rail shuttle to get to Baggage Claim. With only a carry-on, pass on through to the Customs exit for those with Nothing to Declare. Normally this is only a walk-through procedure. If Customs agents want to see something, they'll pull people at random and ask them to put things on the baggage xray. Normally foreigners are not stopped--generally they are looking for Chinese coming back with lots of boxes, evidence of copious shopping abroad. If you're not carrying commercial merchandise/samples, no need to declare anything. It's all quick and painless. Once past this, you'll be out into the front, nonsecure Arrivals side of the terminal, and can head for taxi queue, shuttle buses, or Airport Express Light Rail per your mood. Pick up cash RMB first at one of the ATM's in Arrivals, or at one of the manned bank branch tellers there if you want to change currency notes for RMB notes. Before you go, don't forget to notify your home bank you'll be using your ATM card (and credit cards) in China.

Signage is bilingual in Chinese and English so you should be able to easily find your way.

Last edited by jiejie; Jan 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will clear immigration first. You present your passport, the immigration officer examines it by scanning it into a computer, and then clears you for entry. There are little push-button boxes in front of the immigration officer's desk that you can press and rate the officer. If he or she is nice, be sure to press the button for a nice rating. You don't, however, have to press one of the buttons.

After you pass through immigrations, you enter a huge room with baggage carousels and electronic sign boards. Find the carousel for your flight and then wait for your baggage to come out. In baggage area, there are restrooms if you need one. There are also kiosks selling SIM cards for cellphones. You're better off waiting 'til you get into town to buy one, however.

After you pickup your baggage, head to the exit. There are two "lanes": Nothing to Declare and Something to Declare. If you have nothing to declare, proceed through that lane (it's marked with a green sign). You then exit the controlled area and into the arrival hall, where there are hundreds of people waiting to meet arriving passengers. Leave the arrivals hall and head for the exit. Ignore the touts who offer taxis -- there's an official taxi stand area just outside the exit, with uniformed airport workers who will direct you to a taxi.

That's it -- no big deal.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Well, since the OP by his own admission will have only a carry-on, how likely is it that he's moving over for an extended period? Though I suppose it's possible....
I must admit that I missed that part of the OP, but I would think nothing of moving to a foreign land with a carry-on only (filled up with iPad minis, if I was feeling brave).
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

After this there is baggage claim. PVG at least has *FREE* luggage carts. You'll also find duty free stores. They'll sell you up to the duty free allowance per boarding pass stub you show them. This is *NOT* the norm for international travel, duty free is normally only at departure.
China isn't the only place with duty-free upon arrival. I've seen it also at Singapore, Norway, and Russia, among others.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 13, 2013 at 6:41 am Reason: shorten quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
You will clear immigration first. You present your passport, the immigration officer examines it by scanning it into a computer, and then clears you for entry. There are little push-button boxes in front of the immigration officer's desk that you can press and rate the officer. If he or she is nice, be sure to press the button for a nice rating. You don't, however, have to press one of the buttons.

After you pass through immigrations, you enter a huge room with baggage carousels and electronic sign boards. Find the carousel for your flight and then wait for your baggage to come out. In baggage area, there are restrooms if you need one. There are also kiosks selling SIM cards for cellphones. You're better off waiting 'til you get into town to buy one, however.

After you pickup your baggage, head to the exit. There are two "lanes": Nothing to Declare and Something to Declare. If you have nothing to declare, proceed through that lane (it's marked with a green sign). You then exit the controlled area and into the arrival hall, where there are hundreds of people waiting to meet arriving passengers. Leave the arrivals hall and head for the exit. Ignore the touts who offer taxis -- there's an official taxi stand area just outside the exit, with uniformed airport workers who will direct you to a taxi.

That's it -- no big deal.
Incorrect on the bolded part. Please don't confuse things for this newbie. This OP is arriving at PEK T3-E. After Immigration, there is a down escalator he must use to get to the shuttle rail platform, then take the train to T3-C, then a walk to Baggage Claim past an arrival Sunrise Duty Free. At that point, he'll look to the opposite side of the BC Hall for the Nothing To Declare Exit. As he has no bags to wait for, it's a walk-through for him. The rest of your post is applicable.

It's best for posts like these, not to confuse matters by describing PEK T2, or PVG terminals, or any other place that the OP is not arriving at....since they are all slightly different in physical layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.