Chinese visa on EU passport for Dual EU/US Citizen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

Has anyone been successful in getting a Chinese visa on their NON-US passport in the US?

All of my previous visas have been issued in Milan on my Italian passport (and are still in there) so it's a funny situation. Sadly I can't do it this time since I'm leaving from the US.

Other countries (Vietnam, India, etc) have all accepted a copy of my US passport as proof of residency (i.e. equivalent to a green card or valid visa) but there is conflicting information out there about China.

Does anyone know?

I just don't want to pay the $140 if I can pay $40 :-)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Isn't the cost of 1 year multis cheaper for US citizens than most other countries? I've tried applying with my British passport in Canada but they'd only give me singles and doubles unless I applied using my Canadian passport.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: various
If you are in the USA, the Chinese will insist that you apply for the visa on your US passport not the Italian one. If you want to use the Italian passport without going back to Europe, best to head first from USA to HK and get your Chinese visa there. If you are trying to get a 12-month multiple-entry L or F rather than a short-term single or double-entry, you're usually better in the long run to just get it in the USA on the US passport. Particularly if you need 60 or 90 day duration of stays.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Thank you both for the replies. Actually I'm just going once so it is a lot cheaper on the EU passport but seems like I'll have to use the US one...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: various
Well, if there's anybody in Milan you can send your passport, photo, and application materials to, and let them do the legwork to get it to the Chinese Consulate or Visa Service Centre, it could work. But the international FedEx/DHL fees you'd need in both directions would eat into your savings.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
In case anyone else is in this situation as a dual citizen, I had no problem getting the tourist visa issued in an EU passport in the NYC consulate. I did have to submit a photocopy of my US passport with the application, but the visa was issued in the EU passport and only cost $30 for a single entry to China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.