Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a Chinese Drivers License

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tentseller
I think there is a hidden message in there!
^

Originally Posted by uanj
+1!

How did you get your Chinese name on that? I have had nothing but problems when using my Chinese name (which was picked up from my HK ID card) since it is not on my passport.

This reads more like an endorsement of an international driver's license....
I get it done at the main Hangzhou Traffic Police Station, and they require a Chinese name...
And yes, it's not a true license, but more of a translation of my USA license, which is fine by me
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Interesting name "Fu Yu"
福克 might as well go with this surname if you can pick anything you want
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
福克 might as well go with this surname if you can pick anything you want
...or just 福, and demand that the Cantonese pronunciation be used.

I remember my first trip to Hong Kong, and giggling like a schoolboy when I saw the romanized spelling on the street sign for 福樂街 (Fuk Luk St.). I thought, "Hey, this must be the red light district."
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:49 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Skyman65
...or just 福, and demand that the Cantonese pronunciation be used.

I remember my first trip to Hong Kong, and giggling like a schoolboy when I saw the romanized spelling on the street sign for 福樂街 (Fuk Luk St.). I thought, "Hey, this must be the red light district."

When I saw this sign on the way to PVG, I thought this must be where
all the "duck bars" are.

Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 am

fuyu
Very good name
Homonym is wealthy or Endow?

Yesterday, I just got my license
But only temporary

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by vforni
BTW, after getting many of the "temporary" licenses, I actually find them useful, as no one seems to know what to do with them.

They have no identifiable info on them other than passport #, and the hassle of reapplying every 60 days, they do the trick. Also good since if you apply traffic points to them, they expire after 60 days. (red light cameras )

Since I have a 90 day visa again I may just go the permanent route.
Isn't the requirement for permanent D/L, 91 days or more visa validity to exactly thwart the 90 day L visa applicants?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:00 am

My bag was stolen with my Driver License in it, and I won't be home for another 6 months to replace it at the California DMV. Does anyone know if there's a way I could bypass the driver's training and go straight to the behind-the-wheel exam. I will get my official driving record from the DMV and get it translated plus I have all the forms from my stolen purse incident. I CANNOT find any reliable information online or at the various government agencies here....

Some additional info:
- I have a resident permit for a valid z-visa.
- I will be buying a car here this year so time is of the essence, otherwise I would wait until I went back home & save myself the waiting period and the headaches.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:27 am

The biggest issue with driving in China, as far as I am concerned, and the reason I do not drive is the inadequate third party insurance. If you rent a car, third party insurance is limited to 200k RMB -- if you cause more damage than this, you are responsible yourself. If you own a car, third party insurance for 500k or 1M RMB is available, but still liability above this is your own responsibility.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yoopea
My bag was stolen with my Driver License in it, and I won't be home for another 6 months to replace it at the California DMV. Does anyone know if there's a way I could bypass the driver's training and go straight to the behind-the-wheel exam. I will get my official driving record from the DMV and get it translated plus I have all the forms from my stolen purse incident. I CANNOT find any reliable information online or at the various government agencies here....

Some additional info:
- I have a resident permit for a valid z-visa.
- I will be buying a car here this year so time is of the essence, otherwise I would wait until I went back home & save myself the waiting period and the headaches.

Thanks!
There is no behind the wheel exam for people with foreign dls.... only a written test which can be avoided by greasing the right wheels. The written test is actually fairly easy but some of the questions defy logic so a bit of prep is advisable. Regarding your lost ca license you might be able to get the license people to accept other proof that you have a license particularly in smaller cities but I would clarify this before starting the process.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by bridgeair
The biggest issue with driving in China, as far as I am concerned, and the reason I do not drive is the inadequate third party insurance. If you rent a car, third party insurance is limited to 200k RMB -- if you cause more damage than this, you are responsible yourself. If you own a car, third party insurance for 500k or 1M RMB is available, but still liability above this is your own responsibility.
This is also the main reason that I decided not to pursue driving in China (except in an emergency situation). Unless one is driving a vehicle registered under embassy/diplomatic shield or corporate shield, the liability risk in the event of an accident IMO is just too great for an independent foreigner. Even if not "at fault" as it would be interpreted in most western countries, as a foreigner the odds would be stacked against you financially and potential legal matters that follow any accident would consume too much of your life for a while.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by jiejie
This is also the main reason that I decided not to pursue driving in China (except in an emergency situation). Unless one is driving a vehicle registered under embassy/diplomatic shield or corporate shield, the liability risk in the event of an accident IMO is just too great for an independent foreigner. Even if not "at fault" as it would be interpreted in most western countries, as a foreigner the odds would be stacked against you financially and potential legal matters that follow any accident would consume too much of your life for a while.
I'd like to see the foreign driver who manages to avoid being officially blamed for an accident regardless of circumstances. It's not much different in neighboring Korea, actually.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by bridgeair
Third party insurance is available up to 10M RMB.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mosburger
I'd like to see the foreign driver who manages to avoid being officially blamed for an accident regardless of circumstances. It's not much different in neighboring Korea, actually.
Maybe so, but the main point for me in China is Why Would I Want To Risk This Hassle, when Chinese friends with cars or Chinese hired car/drivers are cheap for the occasions when I need them. It's not like owning a car or personally driving a car in China are "fun" experiences anyway. I can't think of any experience I've wanted that I missed out on because I wasn't driving.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Maybe so, but the main point for me in China is Why Would I Want To Risk This Hassle, when Chinese friends with cars or Chinese hired car/drivers are cheap for the occasions when I need them. It's not like owning a car or personally driving a car in China are "fun" experiences anyway. I can't think of any experience I've wanted that I missed out on because I wasn't driving.
The last time I was in China, my friend had to do something with his family during one morning when he was supposed to take me around Beijing. I had to find my way around on my own until about 1 pm, and I was unable to get to 香山公园 because I asked 3 taxi drivers to take me there and all refused. So, next time I visit, I would definitely consider getting a license and then renting a car. We eventually did go there, later in the day, and by then the gondola to the top of the mountain was already closed.

How's it any different for your Chinese friends, in case they happen to get into an accident? Actually, why not just keep front and rear dash cams running at all times? That's what I do here at home, just in case someone does something stupid and tries to blame me for it.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by STS-134

How's it any different for your Chinese friends, in case they happen to get into an accident? Actually, why not just keep front and rear dash cams running at all times? That's what I do here at home, just in case someone does something stupid and tries to blame me for it.
The difference is, when the other party realizes that you are a foreigners, their demand for a settlement will shoot up. And if you call the police the settle the affair, they will side with the local.
Having said that, I have my Chinese drivers license and I do drive around regularly when I visit. The biggest challenge is actually to rent a car. Most agencies do not like to rent to a foreigner and all have demanded a Chinese credit card. So friends often lend me their extra car.
By the way, this thread is very old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.