Community
Wiki Posts
Search

swimming in beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

swimming in beijing?

i want to introduce a chinese friend how to swim. beidaihe would be nice, but maybe its not the best idea to learn in in the sea.
"national swimming centre" is in the near, but pictures looks to crazy for me.
anyone have experience with "liulang swimming pool" next to summer palace?
or is there another worth place?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 31570324
i want to introduce a chinese friend how to swim. beidaihe would be nice, but maybe its not the best idea to learn in in the sea.
"national swimming centre" is in the near, but pictures looks to crazy for me.
anyone have experience with "liulang swimming pool" next to summer palace?
or is there another worth place?
If you search this forum using "swimming", you will note that I have posted extensively on this topic during the course of the past several years. This late in the summer, I wouldn't trust any of the public outdoor pools in town (I don't believe they change the water), but if the cheap pools in Chaoyang Park still existed, I would still consider checking them out because the setting was nice. I have never been to the place near the Summer Palace. The Goose and Duck Ranch could be worth a visit if you arrange a group (large enough to fill a taxi) to go up there; just call first to make sure the pool is still open. I usually only visit once per year during Summer Jam/Love; if that happened this summer, I didn't hear about it and/or wasn't in Beijing.

Insofar as indoor pools are concerned, I like (in this order): 1) Marriott NE, 2) Oxygen at the Millennium, 3) St. Regis, 4) Grand Hyatt, 5) Park Hyatt, 6) Kerry.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
If you search this forum using "swimming", you will note that I have posted extensively on this topic during the course of the past several years. This late in the summer, I wouldn't trust any of the public outdoor pools in town (I don't believe they change the water), but if the cheap pools in Chaoyang Park still existed, I would still consider checking them out because the setting was nice. I have never been to the place near the Summer Palace. The Goose and Duck Ranch could be worth a visit if you arrange a group (large enough to fill a taxi) to go up there; just call first to make sure the pool is still open. I usually only visit once per year during Summer Jam/Love; if that happened this summer, I didn't hear about it and/or wasn't in Beijing.

Insofar as indoor pools are concerned, I like (in this order): 1) Marriott NE, 2) Oxygen at the Millennium, 3) St. Regis, 4) Grand Hyatt, 5) Park Hyatt, 6) Kerry.
Do these hotels take 'day visitors', and what are approximate rates? I have a feeling if they do, it may be too steep for us.

Our daughter started to learn to swim this summer in the states, and we're keen for her to continue. We'll be scouting out various pools on the west side. Tsinghua has an outdoor pool, but it is crazy busy.

tb
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Do these hotels take 'day visitors', and what are approximate rates? I have a feeling if they do, it may be too steep for us.

Our daughter started to learn to swim this summer in the states, and we're keen for her to continue. We'll be scouting out various pools on the west side. Tsinghua has an outdoor pool, but it is crazy busy.

tb
As much as I like swimming, I wouldn't set foot in the Tsinghua pool, even in June when it opens. Since you're a doctor, I'm quite certain that you get my message.

WRT the hotels, I think most of them charge between y100 and y300 for entrance, but I rarely have to pay for 2 reasons:

1) FTers (and other friends) that come to town sponsor me
2) I get free passes in exchange for simple marketing advice
-I'm guessing you or your wife could swing a similar deal with the Shangri-La (I think they have a pool there?), which is kind of close to your home
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

-I'm guessing you or your wife could swing a similar deal with the Shangri-La (I think they have a pool there?), which is kind of close to your home
Someone want to sponsor me?
just want to go there and try to teach swimming to a friend for some hours.
so maybe the sea would be a good option at this time?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: BA - Blue
As much as I like swimming, I wouldn't set foot in the Tsinghua pool, even in June when it opens. Since you're a doctor, I'm quite certain that you get my message.

WRT the hotels, I think most of them charge between y100 and y300 for entrance, but I rarely have to pay for 2 reasons:

Yep, we've been loathe to 'try' the Tsinghua pool, no matter that M-ZD used to go swimming there. I'm now wondering what sort of marketing advice Shangri-La may want from me -- would be great to use their pool!

tb
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:32 am
Original Poster

told her we could go to beidaihe and she like that, but think the water will be very dirty there. is she right?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:27 am

told her we could go to beidaihe and she like that, but think the water will be very dirty there. is she right?
She IS right. The only beach I've been to in northern China that I didn't feel was noticeably dirty was about 20 miles north of Qingdao close to the base of Laoshan.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

She IS right. The only beach I've been to in northern China that I didn't feel was noticeably dirty was about 20 miles north of Qingdao close to the base of Laoshan.
Is it possible to go there in one day? train to beidahe will take around 2 hours, 20 miles by bus/taxi additional hour?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:17 am

Is it possible to go there in one day? train to beidahe will take around 2 hours, 20 miles by bus/taxi additional hour?
Not really; just do the (local) hotel thing unless you want to make a weekend out of it. I wouldn't even go to the G&D without booking a room, and it's closer than Beidaihe.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Not really; just do the (local) hotel thing unless you want to make a weekend out of it. I wouldn't even go to the G&D without booking a room, and it's closer than Beidaihe.
thats not possible, we have only one full sunday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.