Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying into Shenzhen, Going to HK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

I haven't been able to find a recent thread about this issue. If I fly to Shenzhen, do I need a Chinese visa if I am going straight from the Shenzhen airport to the HK ferry? I suspect I do, but I'm hopeful there is an exception if you are not leaving transit centers.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:03 pm

Yes, if you are entering SZ, then you need a Chinese visa. My question is why this routing?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

It is potentially far cheaper to fly to Shenzhen than HK at times. So this way, I could fly LA-Shenzhen and then just head to HK, saving some money in the process.

And I'm aware that you need a visa to go into SZ from HK, but I couldn't recall if you need to go through immigration at the SZ airport when transferring to the HK ferry.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
First, there is no longer ferry service between SZX and Hong Kong. Just take direct coaches. And even when there were ferries, you still need a visa to go through Chinese immigration before taking the shuttle bus to the pier and then go through immigration aging in to exit China. No "airside" transfer and no visa-free transit.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rkkwan
First, there is no longer ferry service between SZX and Hong Kong. Just take direct coaches. And even when there were ferries, you still need a visa to go through Chinese immigration before taking the shuttle bus to the pier and then go through immigration aging in to exit China. No "airside" transfer and no visa-free transit.
I'm pretty sure TWOV would apply in this case; the OP would get a diamond shaped stamp at PVG, PEK, CAN, or even SZX itself if he ends up on one of the few international flights into SZX. But, he might need to book an onward airline ticket (e.g. PVG-MNL) in order to trick the system. But, frankly, I'd be surprised if e.g. LAX-PEK-SZX is cheaper then one of the dozens of LAX-HKG options (e.g. try the bucket shops in Korea Town). And, if the fare difference was less than $200, I'd go with the HKG option in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, transit-free visa applies if one has an onward international flight booked.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Yes, transit-free visa applies if one has an onward international flight booked.
Yes, and there's nothing stopping him from doing this:

1) buy refundable airplane ticket to destination X
2) cancel ticket
3) exit China via bus at Shekou

Since almost nobody does this, there is snag potential, but I believe he would be compliant with TWOV.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, and there's nothing stopping him from doing this:

1) buy refundable airplane ticket to destination X
2) cancel ticket
3) exit China via bus at Shekou

Since almost nobody does this, there is snag potential, but I believe he would be compliant with TWOV.
Personally, I definitely won't chance this. TWOV is for onward international flights, not by surface transport out of China.

This is what's said on the Chinese Embassy in Washington website:

A foreign citizen who is transiting through China by air is exempted from a visa if he/she will stay only in the airport for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an international flight.
There won't be problem entering China. Leaving would be THE issue.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 29, 2012 at 11:11 am
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Add the hassle of going from HK back to SZX to catch a flight?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: various
If you're not flying in and flying out, TWOV does not apply. Absolute and definite. Land and sea borders are not included. Even if you manage to do the book-and-cancel onward tickets strategy, then get the transit stamp in your passport on arrival at Shenzhen, you'll be caught out when you try to exit China at Shekou, LoWu, or wherever. You cannot get around passing a Chinese Exit Immigration desk. I would not want to hazard a guess as to what would happen at that point, but I strongly doubt they would give you a free pass through. Likely they'd send you back to the airport to fly out within 24 hours, or take the hardline and smack you with a big fine.

Do not do this. Either get a visa if you want to fly to Shenzhen and use a surface crossing to HK, or fly directly to HK and skip Shenzhen entirely.

I also do not believe that flying LAX-(XXX)-SZX is cheaper than LAX-HKG. Try harder on the latter, using different sources.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
I also do not believe that flying LAX-(XXX)-SZX is cheaper than LAX-HKG. Try harder on the latter, using different sources.
The price just depends on your mode of booking. It is possible save a lot of money flying to SZX instead of HKG. But, it is clear that it's not worth the hassle! Thanks everyone.

And JieJie, your China input is always valuable and worthwhile. Thanks again.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Not that I am suggesting the OP should do this, but there is, as far as I recall, also a helicopter service from Shenzhen airport to Macao .... That I guess should count for TWOV if for whatever reason all the alternatives are unworkable.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by sk8uno
The price just depends on your mode of booking. It is possible save a lot of money flying to SZX instead of HKG. But, it is clear that it's not worth the hassle! Thanks everyone.

And JieJie, your China input is always valuable and worthwhile. Thanks again.
When you have a chance, please provide some examples of cases in which LAX-SZX is cheaper than LAX-HKG.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Not that I am suggesting the OP should do this, but there is, as far as I recall, also a helicopter service from Shenzhen airport to Macao .... That I guess should count for TWOV if for whatever reason all the alternatives are unworkable.
Sounds like it should. The fares are even more eye-popping than from Sheung Wan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.