Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Beijing taxis and car services

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This is another reason why Shanghai is better than Beijing.
+1 ^
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Today I tested out a new strategy for the St. Regis. You see, since people don't often dare to queue there during rush hour, I simply asked the door man to help me find a cab and retreated to the lobby and cranked out a few emails. 15 minutes later, he fetched me and I found a very nice taxi (2010 Passat with excellent A/C) waiting at the door. I was quite pleased with this result, though I'm not sure the same strategy would work at the Kerry Centre (queue is often 10 people deep).

Last edited by moondog; Sep 2, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Beijing drivers (with phone numbers and prices)

Upon searching several times to locate relevant threads, yet striking out, I'm taking it upon myself to start a new thread now, in which we focus on plugging drivers that we like and relevant details: 1) name; 2) phone number; 3) car type/quality; and 4) offer price for trip to/from Mutianyu.

Regarding #4, even if you have no desire to visit Mutianyu, this serves as a good reference point.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

1) Gary
2) 13911680981
3) 2010 Passat (very clean)
4) y600 (all in)

speaks passable English
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:51 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. I am going to China next year so will follow it closely.
What do you mean by "all in" for Gary's price?
Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Excellent! I will be heading there in October and will want a driver for the day to see the wall and ming tombs.

How far in advance do you recommend booking a driver?

Will these hired drivers try and take us to the jade factories or other shopping places? Can we tell them up front that we don't want to go there?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by JCary
Thank you for starting this thread. I am going to China next year so will follow it closely.
What do you mean by "all in" for Gary's price?
Thanks!
Assume all in means "road tolls" or "luggage fees" and other misc charges that the driver tacks on as extras.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I searched again this morning and was able to find one of the threads I was looking for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...web-hotel.html

Many more names and numbers there. I suggest starting with the more recent referral posts and working backwards.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I arranged for some guests to visit Mutianyu last week by taxi. I don't have the driver details to hand (but can get probably get them if needed).

I can confirm though that with some bargaining the price should still be around 600 RMB. My guests ended up paying 650 total (including toll and parking) - but I am not surprised that Moondog was able to get a better price than we did.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The St Regis doormen were being very strict on the queue when we were there earlier this week, trying to get one about 7 pm - much guarding of cabs to make sure they were being taken in the correct order and not by queue interlopers. Still waited a good 20 mins for ours, but we got there in the end. Another family had gone to the street with not much more success - the only cabs that came into St Regis were drop offs which then got turned around, but fortunately, they were having an event.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: Free Agent
What is the best way to reach the St. Regis from the airport, and how long will the trip take? I'll be landing around 3pm. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Condition One
What is the best way to reach the St. Regis from the airport, and how long will the trip take? I'll be landing around 3pm. Thanks!
Taxi, 40-45 mins (plus 10 mins waiting for taxi).
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Tonight was interesting.

I hailed a cab for my friend at Houhai. The driver asked her if she was going east or west. She said "west" and he subsequently flipped on his "out of service" sign. I called 110, and after 30 minutes, the police people compelled him to bring my friend home.

Amazingly enough, this situation repeated itself immediately thereafter when I wanted to take a cab to Sanlitun. I called 110 again; police were en route. A 黑车 passed by, and the cab driver gave him Y20 (in order to bring his rate down to market prices).

On the way back home, I availed myself of motorized-tricycle tout. His initial offer was y60. I said y20, and he obliged. It was a pleasant ride, so I was planning on paying y30 (which I did), but he demanded y40, and I relied on my security guards to make him get lost.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Tonight was interesting.

I hailed a cab for my friend at Houhai. The driver asked her if she was going east or west. She said "west" and he subsequently flipped on his "out of service" sign. I called 110, and after 30 minutes, the police people compelled him to bring my friend home.

Amazingly enough, this situation repeated itself immediately thereafter when I wanted to take a cab to Sanlitun. I called 110 again; police were en route. A 黑车 passed by, and the cab driver gave him Y20 (in order to bring his rate down to market prices).

On the way back home, I availed myself of motorized-tricycle tout. His initial offer was y60. I said y20, and he obliged. It was a pleasant ride, so I was planning on paying y30 (which I did), but he demanded y40, and I relied on my security guards to make him get lost.
Ha, you are braver than most. The only time I ride 黑车 is when I'm with a local that knows it's safe or in Shanghai off of West Nanjing Road to my place in Jing An.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:03 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
Tonight was interesting.

I thought it was quite common for a taxi to not pickup a fare if its not
going in the direction the taxi driver wants to go.

Also if a taxi is headed west on
a fairly busy road, you can't get them to make a U turn and go the opposite direction.

That warrants calling the cops?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.