FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Beijing taxis and car services

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:53 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
That's a horrible experience to be put through.

Better stick with non-english speaking drivers.
Its very difficult to con someone when you can't communicate.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ejh25

Moondog, please remove Peter's number from this thread.
I deleted him (post 88) along with the guy in post 86 (almost the same business card --> "English Speaking Driver With You" is probably a group of nefarious drivers). I have met every other driver in the this thread in person; while that's no guarantee that they are honest, they've at least passed common sense due diligence.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ejh25
Whatever you do, DON'T use this driver/ number!
<and entire post>
Sorry for your experience but glad you came back to share it with us. Moondog has zapped Peter and his number. I'd like to use your tale as a teaching moment.

A) Fortunately, when this sort of thing happens in China, it's your time, wallet, patience, and blood pressure that are in danger, not your personal safety.

B) All things considered, I think you actually handled things pretty well, even though obstacles were thrown in your path to shake your resolve, and in the end got to the Ming Tombs and Great Wall, which was your objective. I presume you ended up paying only RMB 750 as originally agreed. Unfortunately, that extra hour or so of your time wasted was lost forever.

C) You correctly identified "bailing points" especially the most important two right at the beginning, when the woman "guide" showed up with no car and then a white minivan showed up which was obviously more than 2 guests would need. Which brings me to two points that other visitors might be able to use in the future:

1) If you are in a Chinese city with other options, don't be afraid to bail out of a prearrangement you haven't paid for, if the situation feels wrong, and go for Plan B, preferably right at the beginning when what's being provided seems to be not what was agreed upon.

2) Have a Plan B. In this case, it could have been as simple as get the hotel doorman to grab a taxi and give instructions in Chinese on where to take you, help you negotiate with the driver for RMB 500 or so, then slip the doorman an RMB 20 or 50 for his trouble (he might or might not accept). Travelers with more time could take the public bus or train at least to Badaling. When researching your trip in advance, take down notes whenever you find alternative Plan B's that could be deployed in a pinch...particularly for daytrip sightseeing outside the main central city.

ejh, hope the rest of your visit wasn't as much of a battle.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:56 pm

just to share, got a driver with a new hyundai sonota with leather seats, to take us to the wall (mutianyu) for 500rmb. paid an extra 40 for the tolls, but he was nice and a good driver. We had him for 8 hours. He did stop at a couple of the tourist "factories" on the way back but didn't pressure us to buy anything, as we let let him know we wouldn't, and he still got my wife, a couple of bracelets and souvineers for free from those shoppes. I'm sure one could make clear not to stop there in advance. He spoke a little english, enough to converse with us, so I was pleased. If anyone wants, His # is 13381219951 and his name is Zhang Han.

Also, met another driver that spoke good english who wanted 600rmb to the wall, but I thought he was a little crooked (wanted 150rmb to an address that cost me 30rmb by taxi and he waits outside the silk market and pearl markets for tourists = sleazy)also he has an older van, which for us was a downside, but for a small group, that would be a plus, so we did not use him. That being said, if decent english is a requirement, I can supply you with his info if it will help.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jiejie
Sorry for your experience but glad you came back to share it with us. Moondog has zapped Peter and his number. I'd like to use your tale as a teaching moment.

A) Fortunately, when this sort of thing happens in China, it's your time, wallet, patience, and blood pressure that are in danger, not your personal safety.

B) All things considered, I think you actually handled things pretty well, even though obstacles were thrown in your path to shake your resolve, and in the end got to the Ming Tombs and Great Wall, which was your objective. I presume you ended up paying only RMB 750 as originally agreed. Unfortunately, that extra hour or so of your time wasted was lost forever.

C) You correctly identified "bailing points" especially the most important two right at the beginning, when the woman "guide" showed up with no car and then a white minivan showed up which was obviously more than 2 guests would need. Which brings me to two points that other visitors might be able to use in the future:

1) If you are in a Chinese city with other options, don't be afraid to bail out of a prearrangement you haven't paid for, if the situation feels wrong, and go for Plan B, preferably right at the beginning when what's being provided seems to be not what was agreed upon.

2) Have a Plan B. In this case, it could have been as simple as get the hotel doorman to grab a taxi and give instructions in Chinese on where to take you, help you negotiate with the driver for RMB 500 or so, then slip the doorman an RMB 20 or 50 for his trouble (he might or might not accept). Travelers with more time could take the public bus or train at least to Badaling. When researching your trip in advance, take down notes whenever you find alternative Plan B's that could be deployed in a pinch...particularly for daytrip sightseeing outside the main central city.

ejh, hope the rest of your visit wasn't as much of a battle.
All excellent tips. Having a plan B is a great idea. And if contemplating dropping plan A due to shadiness, don't be afraid to let the arrangement with driver in plan A know you aren't a dummy. They should/most of the time will back down and stick with the arrangement when faced with a loss.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I grabbed a 黑车 earlier this evening because it was raining and taxis were nowhere to be found. The driver of the car in question was surprisingly nice, so I struck up a conversation with him, and told him about FT.

-his car is one of those small hatch back deals; no more than 3 pax if you want to be comfortable
-his Muytianyu price is y250, including tolls

Since he would surely lose money at that rate, I'd expect you guys to pay him a bit more... like y400 all in; afict, fixed costs are around y250, and the boy's time is worth something

Name (which, I bestowed upon him): Larry
Number: 13240470335

Last edited by moondog; Jul 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:06 pm

I would need a driver who will take me from PEK to Muytianyu and back if possible?

What do ?

Which price to expect ?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TopSecret564
I would need a driver who will take me from PEK to Muytianyu and back if possible?

What do ?
Look through this thread and call the drivers that appeal to your personal needs.

Which price to expect ?
PEK is closer to Mutianyu than the city, but it's a bit out of the way, and I don't know of a single driver who lives up there, so I wouldn't expect any cost savings.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
moondog, I didn't know you could find black cabs in PEK, never seen one...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:56 pm

Hello, would like some comments/recommendations for transport to and from beijing capital airport. Although we use to live here, we don't really know of many options.

Returning late September with my wife and infant. Normally we would just take a cab (or 2 separate cabs) from the airport to shuangjing if it were just the wife and I, but this time we have an infant and would like a slightly larger car to accomodate 3 large suitecases and 2 carryons, as well as not having to wait on cabs with the infant.

Does anybody on the board have recommendations for drivers that fit this requirement and an estimate of the cost? (either each way or as round trip) We are arriving around 4-5pm on a thursday and departing the next day. Language is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doesun
Hello, would like some comments/recommendations for transport to and from beijing capital airport. Although we use to live here, we don't really know of many options.

Returning late September with my wife and infant. Normally we would just take a cab (or 2 separate cabs) from the airport to shuangjing if it were just the wife and I, but this time we have an infant and would like a slightly larger car to accomodate 3 large suitecases and 2 carryons, as well as not having to wait on cabs with the infant.

Does anybody on the board have recommendations for drivers that fit this requirement and an estimate of the cost? (either each way or as round trip) We are arriving around 4-5pm on a thursday and departing the next day. Language is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.
I think there might be a van or two in this thread. If not, I suggest you call some of the other drivers and ask for referrals. Estimated cost = y250 each way.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

It's been almost a year since I started this thread, and I must say that the current situation is BRUTAL. Even in Shuangjing, I find myself competing with ~5 parties to fetch a cab. I can usually succeed within ~7 minutes because I've become an expert at figuring out where to position myself, but those poor souls who stand on the wrong side of the intersection surely wait at least 15 minutes, on average (during peak periods).

Insofar as the true taxi dead zones (St. Regis/CITIC, Guanghua Rd. near Kerry, Sanlitun during the evening, etc) are concerned, it's all out war. You pretty much need to position yourself in a location where someone is likely to get dropped off and pray that the driver doesn't decide to call it a day when you jump in his cab in front of 3 other people.

What's more, the odds the aircon actually working continue to fall by the day. I no longer care because sitting in a hot taxi is better than standing on street corner fighting for a taxi.

That brings me to my next point, the traffic has also been insane during recent weeks, particularly on E 2nd Ring heading north.

For those of you subway enthusiasts out there, I should also mention that, apart from the unpopular lines, the trains tend to be packed to the gills.

In closing, if you persevere long enough, you will get a taxi eventually. What's more, Beijing is still a nice city. But, those of you who have important meetings to attend should plan accordingly and consider hiring private cars.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: various
I have to agree that particularly in the past year or so, the Beijing transportation problem has increased to the point where it now seriously affects quality-of-life, and there just aren't a lot of good solutions. You have to plan your daily activities at different locations in the city around transportation options and time frames. The wasted time spent, especially by any road method, is mind-boggling. Tourists going short distances can avail themselves of self-propelled foot and bicycle methods in addition to the usual bus, subway, and taxi, also time frames tend to be more flexible. But for foreigners trying to get to business appointments and especially in a suit, those options aren't very...optimal. I have just about given up trying to get taxis regardless of in-town location, from 7-9 am and 3-6 pm.

ETA: I am a subway fan, but this year has been trying especially on Line 1 which is currently the only east-west line running
through the busiest part of the central city. When Line 6 opens, hopefully in late 2012 as planned, it should take some of the pressure off Line 1, spread passengers out some more not only on the line but also on the major transfer stations such as Guomao, Jianguomen, and Fuxingmen. If Line 10 Phase 2 also opens in 2012, people on the CBD will have an easier time getting over to the SW, including Beijing South Rail Station--which would be good news for those of us in the Shuangjing area. ^

Last edited by jiejie; Aug 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
consider hiring private cars.
For clarification purposes, I don't necessarily advocate hotel cars because some are crazy expensive, but merely arranging a driver in advance of the important meeting. We have a thread or two on this topic with plenty of referrals.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
It's been almost a year since I started this thread, and I must say that the current situation is BRUTAL. Even in Shuangjing, I find myself competing with ~5 parties to fetch a cab. I can usually succeed within ~7 minutes because I've become an expert at figuring out where to position myself, but those poor souls who stand on the wrong side of the intersection surely wait at least 15 minutes, on average

In closing, if you persevere long enough, you will get a taxi eventually. What's more, Beijing is still a nice city. But, those of you who have important meetings to attend should plan accordingly and consider hiring private cars.
This is another reason why Shanghai is better than Beijing. Apart from a few weeks before CNY or when it's raining I've never had a problem getting a taxi. I'm always so frustrated in Beijing and the transport situation is a reason why I am trying to severely curtail my trips to the city. From the moment you arrive at south station or the airport you're invariably waiting in a cutthroat taxi line and getting anywhere in peak hours is next to impossible. It's amazing how much better shanghai's transport infrastructure is. I have a friend visiting BJ in October and I'm trying to convince him to come down to SH for a few days just so I can avoid the Beijing traffic nightmare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.