Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to deal with excess baggage on Chinese flights?

Old May 1, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I'm flighting international with a few suitcases and want to buy a domestic flight on arrival day. Obviously this domestic flight will not respect my international allowance. I know Chinese law states excess baggage is 1.5% of a Y ticket per KG. As I will be about 30KG over I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to handle the excess baggage?

The domestic airline will be China Southern.

I have enough time to post the suitcase if anyone will do it cheaper and I'm not in a rush to receive it.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shimon
I'm flighting international with a few suitcases and want to buy a domestic flight on arrival day. Obviously this domestic flight will not respect my international allowance. I know Chinese law states excess baggage is 1.5% of a Y ticket per KG. As I will be about 30KG over I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to handle the excess baggage?

The domestic airline will be China Southern.

I have enough time to post the suitcase if anyone will do it cheaper and I'm not in a rush to receive it.
Don't be so sure about that. Your situation is very common, and I only know of a handful of cases in which people were taken to the cleaners.

I have some ideas (e.g. buy F on that domestic flight, book a ticket all the way to your destination), but would need to know more info about your specific circumstances in order to opine fully.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA, DL
my personal experience has been that if you talk to the ticket agent at check-in for the domestic leg and tell them you are continuing travel from international and produce your itinerary and boarding passes they will usually grant you continued passage for your luggage at the international amount. This is not really a written rule but seems to be common practice. I did have one time where they only allowed me the amount that was their international policy (at that time I was coming in on NWA which still allowed 70lbs per piece and connecting to China Eastern which only allowed 50lbs per piece) and they charged me the difference. So in your case if you have more than China Southern's normal international (to North America) allowance then they might go this route. Again this is not really a written policy but seems to work.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Don't be so sure about that. Your situation is very common, and I only know of a handful of cases in which people were taken to the cleaners.

I have some ideas (e.g. buy F on that domestic flight, book a ticket all the way to your destination), but would need to know more info about your specific circumstances in order to opine fully.
I am booking two award bookings. One with Star Alliance and another with Skyteam. I only have enough miles for economy with Skyteam.

That said I will have the same problem on the way back where I will be having a few day stop over in Shanghai. My total baggage weight should be less on the way back but it is going to be more than 20kg.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am booking two award bookings. One with Star Alliance and another with Skyteam. I only have enough miles for economy with Skyteam.

That said I will have the same problem on the way back where I will be having a few day stop over in Shanghai. My total baggage weight should be less on the way back but it is going to be more than 20kg.
Can *A get you close to your destination?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

I rather get a 5 hour bus instead of a domestic flight to a different city. I'd also save 1 hour flying time to China as I'd fly into a different gateway.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
1. Helps to be STE+
2. Buy FC, many times tickets are cheap
Old May 6, 2012, 12:59 am

If it's slightly over usually they'll let it slide. Otherwise just try to carry-on small but heavy items.

Old May 6, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: various
What airport are you arriving at on international incoming? Most sizeable airports have a China Post office somewhere on the premises in the nonsecure side. So...one option might be to pack your excess in a box rather than a suitcase, and send as a domestic parcel to yourself. Then head for your domestic flight. Once you pick up at baggage claim and get past Customs, sending domestically doesn't involve anything other than filling out the form. Best to have the address/destination written in Chinese--somebody at the post office will normally help fill out the form so you don't have to finagle the hanzi. For 30 kg overage, it's got to be a lot cheaper than paying the airline excess baggage fees.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I think I'll do that or someone like SF express.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.