Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 1, 12, 12:22 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,431
Cheapest way to deal with excess baggage on Chinese flights?

I'm flighting international with a few suitcases and want to buy a domestic flight on arrival day. Obviously this domestic flight will not respect my international allowance. I know Chinese law states excess baggage is 1.5% of a Y ticket per KG. As I will be about 30KG over I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to handle the excess baggage?

The domestic airline will be China Southern.

I have enough time to post the suitcase if anyone will do it cheaper and I'm not in a rush to receive it.
Shimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 12, 7:39 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist; Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 18,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
I'm flighting international with a few suitcases and want to buy a domestic flight on arrival day. Obviously this domestic flight will not respect my international allowance. I know Chinese law states excess baggage is 1.5% of a Y ticket per KG. As I will be about 30KG over I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to handle the excess baggage?

The domestic airline will be China Southern.

I have enough time to post the suitcase if anyone will do it cheaper and I'm not in a rush to receive it.
Don't be so sure about that. Your situation is very common, and I only know of a handful of cases in which people were taken to the cleaners.

I have some ideas (e.g. buy F on that domestic flight, book a ticket all the way to your destination), but would need to know more info about your specific circumstances in order to opine fully.
moondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 12, 9:45 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kunming, China
Programs: UA, DL
Posts: 189
my personal experience has been that if you talk to the ticket agent at check-in for the domestic leg and tell them you are continuing travel from international and produce your itinerary and boarding passes they will usually grant you continued passage for your luggage at the international amount. This is not really a written rule but seems to be common practice. I did have one time where they only allowed me the amount that was their international policy (at that time I was coming in on NWA which still allowed 70lbs per piece and connecting to China Eastern which only allowed 50lbs per piece) and they charged me the difference. So in your case if you have more than China Southern's normal international (to North America) allowance then they might go this route. Again this is not really a written policy but seems to work.
AandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 12, 12:39 am   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Don't be so sure about that. Your situation is very common, and I only know of a handful of cases in which people were taken to the cleaners.

I have some ideas (e.g. buy F on that domestic flight, book a ticket all the way to your destination), but would need to know more info about your specific circumstances in order to opine fully.
I am booking two award bookings. One with Star Alliance and another with Skyteam. I only have enough miles for economy with Skyteam.

That said I will have the same problem on the way back where I will be having a few day stop over in Shanghai. My total baggage weight should be less on the way back but it is going to be more than 20kg.
Shimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 12, 1:17 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist; Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 18,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
I am booking two award bookings. One with Star Alliance and another with Skyteam. I only have enough miles for economy with Skyteam.

That said I will have the same problem on the way back where I will be having a few day stop over in Shanghai. My total baggage weight should be less on the way back but it is going to be more than 20kg.
Can *A get you close to your destination?
moondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 12, 11:35 am   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,431
I rather get a 5 hour bus instead of a domestic flight to a different city. I'd also save 1 hour flying time to China as I'd fly into a different gateway.
Shimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 12, 11:57 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MSP/PVG/SFO
Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Posts: 14,706
1. Helps to be STE+
2. Buy FC, many times tickets are cheap
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 12, 12:59 am   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 438
If it's slightly over usually they'll let it slide. Otherwise just try to carry-on small but heavy items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
I am booking two award bookings. One with Star Alliance and another with Skyteam. I only have enough miles for economy with Skyteam.

That said I will have the same problem on the way back where I will be having a few day stop over in Shanghai. My total baggage weight should be less on the way back but it is going to be more than 20kg.
__________________
HKG Layover Guide: layoverhk.com
Hong Kong Travel blog: hktravelblog.com
Noodlesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 12, 10:37 am   #9
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 5,432
What airport are you arriving at on international incoming? Most sizeable airports have a China Post office somewhere on the premises in the nonsecure side. So...one option might be to pack your excess in a box rather than a suitcase, and send as a domestic parcel to yourself. Then head for your domestic flight. Once you pick up at baggage claim and get past Customs, sending domestically doesn't involve anything other than filling out the form. Best to have the address/destination written in Chinese--somebody at the post office will normally help fill out the form so you don't have to finagle the hanzi. For 30 kg overage, it's got to be a lot cheaper than paying the airline excess baggage fees.
jiejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 12, 11:16 am   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,431
I think I'll do that or someone like SF express.
Shimon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.