Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PVG to HKG or SZX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:31 am
Original Poster

PVG to HKG or SZX?

I have to fly JFK-PVG then fly to Shenzen and back to New York. Looking at airfares, it actually looks cheaper to fly JFK-PVG-HKG-JFK than JFK-PVG-SZX-HKG-JFK (taking a domestic flight PVG-SZX then driving to HKG)

WOuld that be crazy to do? I know HKG airport is an extra hour away and I'd have to take a limo or something from HKG airport. But I'd collect miles on Dragonair.

Any experienced China hands here who make this trip often?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I don't go to SZX often but I can tell you it's well over an hour travel time difference between HKG and SZX, especially by taxi/limo. If time is more important to you than the miles I'd fly to SZX.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: various
I still don't understand what you are trying to do, but assuming you have business in Shanghai and Shenzhen which need true stopovers (not just connections), and no specific need to stopover in Hong Kong itself, logical concepts are:
1) Round trip JFK-SZX with a stopover in outbound direction at PVG. No need to go to Hong Kong or HKG.
2) Open Jaws JFK-SZX with stopover at PVG + return HKG-JFK. Ground transport Shenzhen to HKG (HKIA).
3) Open Jaws JFK-PVG + HKG-JFK. Separate one-way ticket SHA/PVG-SZX. Ground transport to HKIA.

For budgeting purposes, a one-way SHA/PVG-SZX flight ticket purchased online from something like ctrip.com about 3-4 weeks in advance can usually be had all-in for about USD $250 in discounted first class and $150 in economy (bust sometimes for not much more than US $100.

Elapsed time it takes to get from Shenzhen to HKG depends on where you are in Shenzhen and time of day, as this determines the logic of the border crossing to use and the likely (or not) backup at immigration at the border.

If you don't need to be in SZX but want to use it as a cheaper domestic way to access HKG when compared to a PVG/SHA-HKG flight, you need to make sure the savings justifies the additional aggravation. And there will be a cost for ground transportation. If done by private car/limo, I suspect the total cost will begin to approach the cost of just flying one-way Shanghai-HKG nonstop. But if you choose to do this anyway, then I'd allow about 4 hours between scheduled SZX arrival and scheduled HKG departure. It takes a lot more than an hour to get between the two!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Don't underestimate the border crossing times, if it's super early or very late it's ok. Otherwise it can take 1-2 hours.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Don't underestimate the border crossing times, if it's super early or very late it's ok. Otherwise it can take 1-2 hours.
If you're going only to the HKG airport from Shenzhen you can take the ferry from a couple locations straight to the airport, and there's no lengthy border crossing.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
If you're going only to the HKG airport from Shenzhen you can take the ferry from a couple locations straight to the airport, and there's no lengthy border crossing.
True, that's the airport only though. And schedules change, so check carefully.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:58 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
No need to rush thru Shenzhen.

Quite possibly the most foreigner friendly city in mainland China.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I did the Lo Hu crossing last Saturday at noon. Took me 10 mins. Get the HK frequent visitor e channel if you can
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I did the Lo Hu crossing last Saturday at noon. Took me 10 mins. Get the HK frequent visitor e channel if you can
I thought FVC e-channel sticker only worked at HKIA and you need a HKSAR Travel Pass for land crossings?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Santander
I thought FVC e-channel sticker only worked at HKIA and you need a HKSAR Travel Pass for land crossings?
IIRC an ABTC also works.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
This was recently changed at the same time as e-Channel use was extended to qualified mainland residents.

Originally Posted by HK Immigration Department
For enrolment, you will need to visit the enrolment office at the arrival hall in Terminal 1 where you are required to sign an enrolment form, have your fingerprints and photograph taken and have a bar-code sticker affixed to your travel document. You will be required to present your valid HKSAR Travel Pass, APEC Business Travel Card, HKIA Frequent Visitor Card or Frequent Flyer Programme Membership Card and your valid travel document and a multiple visit visa (if applicable). If you need to change any of your personal information afterwards, especially following the replacement of a travel document, you should return to the enrolment office.

Successfully enrolled visitors can use the Frequent Visitor e-Channels in the following control points.

Hong Kong International Airport
Lo Wu
Lok Ma Chau Spur Line
Shenzhen Bay
Macau Ferry Terminal
China Ferry Terminal
Details here (scroll down about half way).

This makes the "Shenzhen Shuffle" a much more appealing option when considering ex-HK travel options to mainland cities.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
So what youre saying is that you made it through in 10 min with the HK frequest visitor e-channel right?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Scifience
This was recently changed at the same time as e-Channel use was extended to qualified mainland residents.
VERY cool. When I have to give up my HKID (inevitable sometime this year) and move away I'm definitely going to get a new e-Channel sticker. Thanks for info!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
VERY cool. When I have to give up my HKID (inevitable sometime this year) and move away I'm definitely going to get a new e-Channel sticker. Thanks for info!
When they give us access to the mainland e-Channel as well, like HRP holders get, then I'll be excited.

Luckily, the foreigners lines on the Chinese side tend not to be too horrible, despite the agents always spending ages leafing through my passport... it's actually filling in those landing cards every time that bugs me the most.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scifience
When they give us access to the mainland e-Channel as well, like HRP holders get, then I'll be excited.

Luckily, the foreigners lines on the Chinese side tend not to be too horrible, despite the agents always spending ages leafing through my passport... it's actually filling in those landing cards every time that bugs me the most.
+1. I rarely carry a pen (ancient instrument) these days, but make special arrangements to have one at my disposal when doing the Shenzhen/HK drill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.