Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Use of the Taxi Driver Tip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: various
Proper Use of the Taxi Driver Tip

Of course, we all know that tipping is not part of Chinese culture. These are The Rules. However, we all also know that rules sometimes should be broken. Today I encountered one of those times. I had arrived at Beijing airport about 10:30 and had to make a beeline (with luggage in hand) straight for Guomao for a critical errand before going to register for my apartment in Dongzhimen, which had a prearranged meeting time. After the errand, waiting in front of Guomao Tower 1 for a taxi, I was #5 in line with few empty taxis coming round. This was noon. Two came so I was then #3 in line. Empty taxi comes up, Chinese woman #1 goes to him and starts to get in, he won't take her. Chinese woman #2 goes to him, he won't take her, then he points to me, Jiejie #3 and motions me to come over. I figure he's assuming by my luggage that he's about to get a fat fare to the airport. Not wanting to mislead him, I told him I was only going to Dongzhimen. He grinned and popped the trunk for the luggage and said yes, he'd take me. I didn't dare look at Chinese women #1 and #2. I wouldn't blame them for fuming, but I'm not about to turn down a lucky break! Could have been waiting there another half-hour and with luggage, I had no other logical transport options besides taxi...and a preset meeting time looming.

Get to my destination, fare is total RMB 16. I give him a 20 and tell him to keep the change, and thanks for choosing me as his passenger. He grinned again, gave me the thumbs-up sign, and went away a happy camper, as was I. Hopefully this tip will again encourage him to pick the next foreigner out of the waiting throng.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:16 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Taxi TIP@:-)

During rush hour carry a couple empty suitcases.
Foreigner+suitcases= airport run. No waiting.^
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Interesting,

My experience with Beijing taxi drivers were mostly bad...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Interesting,

Treat them like saints (not necessarily by tipping), and your experiences will be better. Recently, when encountering drivers during rush hour that have no interested in picking up anyone, I ask them where they're headed; 1 in 4 times, they're going the same direction as me.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tycosiao
Interesting,

Beijing is the only city in China I have never had a problem with cabs.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:10 am
Original Poster

I must have made some good karma somewhere. Today after finding myself with some groceries in the north Ritan park area and cabless and freezing cold in the wind, after 10 minutes finally came across an empty heading the opposite way, who turned around for me, took me to my apartment gate where the fare had just clicked to RMB 11. Gave him RMB 10 and was fishing in my wallet for another 5 (to take care of additional fare plus addl fuel surcharge), but he grinned and refused to take any more cash. I insisted he take the 5, but he shook his head and said 10 was enough.

Ha. Perhaps the rest of you just aren't as charming with the Beijing cabbies as me.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:37 am

Poor foreigner, probably a refugee from US, where they live in tents on the streets and are gassed by the cops. Saw that on CCTV

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...00084&cid=1101 .

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Nov 19, 2011 at 7:09 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I am surprised.

Beijing taxi drivers IMO are impatient.

They forced me to alight before I reached my destination.

My experiences with shanghai and other lower tier cities are better than those in the capital.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:07 am

I don't get it. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with tipping.

Does it make you feel better really? Imagine the situation is reversed. You're first or second in line at a cab station (and you tip well in the first place; let's just assume). Suddenly, a cab appears and rather than picking you up (as expected being the first in line), he picked a foreigner that's third in line. I don't imagine you would be happy. That's why there's a line. That's why you're waiting there.

It's more or less a kind of 'profiling' that happened. In my mind, it has nothing to do with "proper use of taxi driver tip" because he does not know how you will tip in advance.

(By the way, I have seen two young ladies throwing a tantrum at the cab service rep manning the line in Ft Lauderdale (cruise) because they were in a hurry, and wanted to cut in line. The cab were able to keep them in their place for a while (explaining that others are waiting) though they were able to get their way, much to the disgust of other people who witnessed the episode.). Not your situation, clearly, but something I just remembered.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I agree that if I was the first/second in line I would be miffed -- but taxis in BJ are incredibly fickle, and this unfortunately happens all the time. However, you quite rightly, don't "get it". This is about tipping to thank someone for service, not as so often sadly happens in the US, service personnel acting a certain way to maximise or increase their tip. The cabby's behaviour to jiejie was not motivated by a tip, but it was in turn rewarded by one. Isn't that how it should be in reality, rather an obligatory surcharge, as it is stateside?

tb
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Does it make you feel better really? Imagine the situation is reversed. You're first or second in line at a cab station (and you tip well in the first place; let's just assume). Suddenly, a cab appears and rather than picking you up (as expected being the first in line), he picked a foreigner that's third in line. I don't imagine you would be happy. That's why there's a line. That's why you're waiting there.

It's more or less a kind of 'profiling' that happened. In my mind, it has nothing to do with "proper use of taxi driver tip" because he does not know how you will tip in advance.

(By the way, I have seen two young ladies throwing a tantrum at the cab service rep manning the line in Ft Lauderdale (cruise) because they were in a hurry, and wanted to cut in line. The cab were able to keep them in their place for a while (explaining that others are waiting) though they were able to get their way, much to the disgust of other people who witnessed the episode.). Not your situation, clearly, but something I just remembered.
Hmm, clearly you don't "get it." You have a lot to learn about China, including the fact that "queues" are often more conceptual than actual. It's a dog-eat-dog world, especially trying to get a taxi, and if a break is thrown your way, you take it. I assure you the shoe has been on the other foot plenty of times, and I've been passed by in favor of the Chinese person waiting. That's just how things are here. And especially since the power shift in this Beijing taxi equation seems to have shifted over to the drivers during the last year. If the Chinese women passed over were of a mind to do so, they could have taken down his ID number from the dashboard display, or the license plate number, and complained to his company.

And yes, I felt better at the time getting into that cab, and I felt good when I got out of it too! I've got nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for, which is what you seem to be implying.

What would you have done--refused the taxi and demanded he take the first Chinese woman in line? Tell me true....
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
You have a lot to learn about China, including the fact that "queues" are often more conceptual than actual. ...
Queue Jumping, more of a sport than an offensive act.

上海世博會 expo2010 大陸人 成群 打尖 插隊不知廉恥 望鏡頭笑 令中國人蒙羞

If you become irritated by those that don't follow the queue, you could try this.

上地鐵遇港女 就地正法左佢

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Nov 19, 2011 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
When we got off the train in Nanjing, we went to the taxi line which is under the station. There are two lanes with a median in between that taxis pull up beside, and the taxi clerk loads 3 taxis in each lane at a time, 6 taxis, then they pull away and 6 more pull up.

When we got to the front of the line the clerk waves us to go down the lane. The first taxi sees the luggage and waves his hand no to us. Same thing with the second and third.

So now we're are standing in the middle of the road with all these taxis going by. A taxi pulls up opens his trunk and looks at my hotel address. He starts loading our suitcases into his trunk but he has so much crap in it already there's no way both bags would fit. So we take the one out and start walking to another taxi. This guy is yelling at us.

After about 5 minutes of taxi roulette we find one with an empty trunk who knows how to get to the hotel. No problems on the ride over. I let him keep the few RMB change.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:03 am

Relax. No need to get hostile. I already admitted that I didn't get it, especially in light of the misleading thread title. I've been to Hong Kong a number of times where people try to rush in to the subway stations before letting passengers out, so I'm guessing it's more or less the same. You could be right - maybe there's still a lot I need to know and learn about China.

Having said that, just because it's a "dog-eat-dog" world doesn't justify that it's right. It doesn't justify the behavior or that people should forget what common courtesy is. (i.e. like in the extreme case where a child is run over by a vehicle, and people just walk right by).

Also, I didn't 'imply' that that you have anything to be ashamed or apologize for. I asked explicitly. Certainly, you have nothing ashamed nor to apologized for (since it was the driver's decision that was questionable). But, it's certainly nothing to be thrilled at or write home about because you would be miffing all the same if you were in the other shoe.

Frankly, I have been in that situation before and looked to the other passengers to see if they were OK (but mostly there was a legitimate reason - they're waiting for other parties, too many people or luggage). In case where there is blatant line skipping (to my benefit), I actually point to the passengers to ensure that the driver sees that there are others ahead of me. I'm usually in no huge hurry. If he driver insisted, would I have refused? Probably not, but more often than not, I would wonder why the cab driver does what he did. Like I said, it's nothing to write home about.
I've done enough of international traveling (even where language is a barrier) to know I'd rather wait properly in a queue, then to skip ahead of the locals even though if the service provider assume we tip well as foreigner (which we do, but it is still beside the point).

It's conceivable (even if it seems unlikely in your mind) that the two women before you could have tipped okay too. Even if they don't tip as is the local customs, that doesn't mean they should be passed over by someone who does. The cab service provided you with good service, you should tip him properly. But, skipping other people to help you long before he knew how you were going to tip is not just good service, it's profiling of some sort.

Anyway, I'll leave it as is. It's just a genuine question to think about. No need to get worked up over it. I'm glad your trip works out OK and you made it to your meeting in time.

Originally Posted by jiejie
Hmm, clearly you don't "get it." You have a lot to learn about China, including the fact that "queues" are often more conceptual than actual. It's a dog-eat-dog world, especially trying to get a taxi, and if a break is thrown your way, you take it. I assure you the shoe has been on the other foot plenty of times, and I've been passed by in favor of the Chinese person waiting. That's just how things are here. And especially since the power shift in this Beijing taxi equation seems to have shifted over to the drivers during the last year. If the Chinese women passed over were of a mind to do so, they could have taken down his ID number from the dashboard display, or the license plate number, and complained to his company.

And yes, I felt better at the time getting into that cab, and I felt good when I got out of it too! I've got nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for, which is what you seem to be implying.

What would you have done--refused the taxi and demanded he take the first Chinese woman in line? Tell me true....
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm not hostile, actually I'm amused at your reaction, as I'm sure some other readers of this thread are. What we've got here is clashing cultural norms. I'm not Chinese but I've had to adapt while living here, as a matter of survival. Of course (my) taxi-achievement strategies would be amended depending on what country I was in and what the norms are.

If you wish to come to China and "wait properly in a queue" then bring a good book (War and Peace?) because you may be waiting a long time while others shove you aside. Hong Kong behavior is completely civilized compared to the mainland.

The Chinese profile as a matter of course--as individuals, organizations, government, and culture--and have no problems being "politically incorrect" as it might be called in the USA. I've seen plenty of taxi drivers drive right past black Africans (some members of the diplomatic staffs assigned to Beijing) trying to hail a cab because they don't want to take them. Is it fair? No. Can you change this culture? No.

Again, I didn't "skip" over or around anybody and I didn't muscle anyone aside--the taxi driver was the one that beckoned. The first ladies ahead of me were already 20 feet away at the taxi door, while I was still waiting on the curb by the building. And I gave him full latitude to reconsider his decision by holding back some extra moments, and by telling him my destination, being very up front he wasn't going to get a huge distance fare. It's possible that he just didn't want to go in the direction that either of those two women were heading--Beijing traffic is beyond a nightmare and this happens regularly.

The idea that the two Chinese women in front of me would have tipped the driver is pretty farfetched. Chinese don't do that. As said before, drivers here don't expect tips and many will refuse or be baffled if you try. This driver didn't know I was going to let him keep the change until the ride was over. And I wouldn't be surprised if he was more tickled about me thanking him "for choosing me as his passenger" (in Mandarin) than with the extra four RMB.

I know what the taxi driver would have done if I had refused to get into his cab on the grounds of "it's not fair" to the other waitees--he would have driven off with nobody getting in. It's called saving face, an Asian thing you might be familiar with, and once he refused the first two women, there's next to no chance he would about-face and take one of them.

Relax. No need to get hostile. I already admitted that I didn't get it, especially in light of the misleading thread title. I've been to Hong Kong a number of times where people try to rush in to the subway stations before letting passengers out, so I'm guessing it's more or less the same. You could be right - maybe there's still a lot I need to know and learn about China.

Having said that, just because it's a "dog-eat-dog" world doesn't justify that it's right. It doesn't justify the behavior or that people should forget what common courtesy is. (i.e. like in the extreme case where a child is run over by a vehicle, and people just walk right by).

Also, I didn't 'imply' that that you have anything to be ashamed or apologize for. I asked explicitly. Certainly, you have nothing ashamed nor to apologized for (since it was the driver's decision that was questionable). But, it's certainly nothing to be thrilled at or write home about because you would be miffing all the same if you were in the other shoe.

Frankly, I have been in that situation before and looked to the other passengers to see if they were OK (but mostly there was a legitimate reason - they're waiting for other parties, too many people or luggage). In case where there is blatant line skipping (to my benefit), I actually point to the passengers to ensure that the driver sees that there are others ahead of me. I'm usually in no huge hurry. If he driver insisted, would I have refused? Probably not, but more often than not, I would wonder why the cab driver does what he did. Like I said, it's nothing to write home about.
I've done enough of international traveling (even where language is a barrier) to know I'd rather wait properly in a queue, then to skip ahead of the locals even though if the service provider assume we tip well as foreigner (which we do, but it is still beside the point).

It's conceivable (even if it seems unlikely in your mind) that the two women before you could have tipped okay too. Even if they don't tip as is the local customs, that doesn't mean they should be passed over by someone who does. The cab service provided you with good service, you should tip him properly. But, skipping other people to help you long before he knew how you were going to tip is not just good service, it's profiling of some sort.

Anyway, I'll leave it as is. It's just a genuine question to think about. No need to get worked up over it. I'm glad your trip works out OK and you made it to your meeting in time.

Last edited by jiejie; Nov 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.