Shanghai and Beijing Hotel recommendations please

Subscribe
We are going for our first time to Shanghai and Beijing. We have contacted a local travel service but we need help with Hotels and their locations from people who I can trust. We are looking for luxury hotels, good location, and good restaurants in the hotels. We will be staying about 4-5 nights in each hotel. Thank you!
I'd suggest the Sofitel Wanda in Beijing !!! I didnt actually stay at this hotel but went there for dinner and was amazed by the place, then I regret not booking there!
Quote: We are going for our first time to Shanghai and Beijing. We have contacted a local travel service but we need help with Hotels and their locations from people who I can trust. We are looking for luxury hotels, good location, and good restaurants in the hotels. We will be staying about 4-5 nights in each hotel. Thank you!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-threads.html
Quote: We are going for our first time to Shanghai and Beijing. We have contacted a local travel service but we need help with Hotels and their locations from people who I can trust. We are looking for luxury hotels, good location, and good restaurants in the hotels. We will be staying about 4-5 nights in each hotel. Thank you!
Peninsula Shanghai - wonderful hotel, right on the Bund, walking distance to the subway.
Le Royal Meridien
Just booked a couple of nights at Le Royal Meridien for March. I like the location - right by Peoples' Square, Nanjing Lu, and the subway. The breakfast was quite good when I last stayed there (2008), and the hotel is near other dining options. The view from the bar at night is spectacular. The rate was pretty reasonable - around $230/night for a Bund view room.
Quote: Peninsula Shanghai - wonderful hotel, right on the Bund, walking distance to the subway.
Quote: Just booked a couple of nights at Le Royal Meridien for March. I like the location - right by Peoples' Square, Nanjing Lu, and the subway. The breakfast was quite good when I last stayed there (2008), and the hotel is near other dining options. The view from the bar at night is spectacular. The rate was pretty reasonable - around $230/night for a Bund view room.
Yes to both of these.

There's also the newly restored Peace Hotel on the Bund. It's a Fairmont
but be sure to read reviews; at least in its early days there were service problems and some of the rooms are small.

Depending on your style, for another great location, check whether the new W or Andaz, I forget which, is yet open.
BJ & SH
Quote: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-threads.html
Marriott has several brands in both cities. Their web site has a mix of rates & several locations have weekend specials, F-S-S.

SPG also has several brands & maybe better high end properties/locations.
We have booked the Peninsula Shanghai and Beijing. Hopefully, the locations of the 2 Hotels are good for our first time in these cities. Thank you
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund. Stayed there and excellent by all accounts. Absolutely wonderful jazz bar (the Long Bar) where they have live music every night in sumptuous surroundings. With great cocktails (at about $12 each - and some of the best I have ever had).
Quote: We have booked the Peninsula Shanghai and Beijing. Hopefully, the locations of the 2 Hotels are good for our first time in these cities. Thank you
The Penn in Shanghai is nice, but I'm not all that impressed with the Beijing Penn (formerly the Palace Hotel).
I've never stayed at the Pen in SH, but for that price it's probably extremely nice. I've been inside it, and it is very elegant.

I strongly suggest investing in a 'room-with-a-view' at this location - I know I'd be disappointed spending 500$ a night and not getting a view of the Pudong skyline.

I HAVE stayed in the BJ Pen, and it's nothing spectacular. Good hotel, but there's a reason it's 200$ cheaper than the one in SH.
+1 on the Pen in Shanghai. The Sofitel Wanda in Beijing is a lovely hotel and I've gotten some great rates there.
Thanks again! We do have a River Room reserved in SH at the Pen. However, I have seen mixed reviews on the Pen in Beijing~tell me what you would suggest for location, room etc. I will check into above suggestions too~~
Quote: Thanks again! We do have a River Room reserved in SH at the Pen. However, I have seen mixed reviews on the Pen in Beijing~tell me what you would suggest for location, room etc. I will check into above suggestions too~~
For Beijing, I don't think room location matters too much--the views in all directions are mediocre at best. Construction is changing all the time, but two stays ago they were pounding heavy steel on my side of the building (one block over).

The hotel is nice enough. I would say the rooms could use some updating--things like the brass on the bath faucets is wearing off.

Location is very good. A block walk to Wangfujing and a few blocks to Forbidden City, etc.
Quote: Thanks again! We do have a River Room reserved in SH at the Pen. However, I have seen mixed reviews on the Pen in Beijing~tell me what you would suggest for location, room etc. I will check into above suggestions too~~
Park Hyatt, China World, Millennium, Kempinski, Aman (only for one or two nights; it's a really nice hotel, but it might as well be on Mars)